Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber Brighton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Until Brighton cabbies recognise they provide a service that is highly overpriced and comes with bugger all customer service then they deserve everything they get. For far too long the cabbies of Brighton have acted as a mafia - look what they did d to the Tuk Tuks. Nope - time to grow up and act as a CUSTOMER SERVICE business - hopefully Uber might drill that into them.

Agree about the mafia. I had a cab driver smash into me a number of years back. He was super apologetic at the time but about a year later I got a letter from my insurance company saying he was claiming all sorts against me. They then tried to negotiate a 50/50 deal. I refused and it ended up in court. His lies unraveled pretty quickly and I won; the stupid arse claimed I did a manouver which was shown to be physically impossible due to it being a narrow single lane street. What really pissed me off was a witness, who materialised very late in the process.....it was a fellow cab driver. Tossers.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
FFS. The council don't set the prices for PH cars, which will include Uber.

They set the prices for Hackney carriages. A hack has to have a meter installed which is checked by the council. A PH can charge what they like. It just so happens that in this area (Adur / Brighton) the PH companies have decided to mirror the maximum prices set for hackneys.

In many areas it's cheaper for a PH. Locally, Worthing is usually cheaper for a PH car as is London.

Some here are trying to justify the high prices the PH companies charge by blaming it on the council and that's not how it is
There are no exclusively ph companies in this area, they all run a mixed fleet of ph and hackney. This is why the ph cars charge the same. A taxi company can't have half it's cars charging less than the rest.

T

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Can someone please calrify, a good mate of mine has just bought a license and car etc.

We were quickly discussing Uber and he said that none of the Uber cars/drivers are licensed, DBS/CRB checked etc etc, now I listened albeit vaguely to a programme on BBC radio 2 some months back and the 'creator' of Uber, perhaps it was his son, spoke very articulately about Ubers service.

So what exactly are the differences and why it seems that the users of Uber love it, whilst the others seem so anti it.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
My first uber car is available on the 4th day if checking. Fingers crossed this is the beginning of great things & cheaper can rides across the city

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Can someone please calrify, a good mate of mine has just bought a license and car etc.

We were quickly discussing Uber and he said that none of the Uber cars/drivers are licensed, DBS/CRB checked etc etc, now I listened albeit vaguely to a programme on BBC radio 2 some months back and the 'creator' of Uber, perhaps it was his son, spoke very articulately about Ubers service.

So what exactly are the differences and why it seems that the users of Uber love it, whilst the others seem so anti it.

Uber is a framework that allows people who want to get from A to B to arrange transport with people who are willing to drive them.

It's a peer to peer model, so if you're familiar with AirBnB, it's a similar concept to that.

Although they aren't checked, it uses recommendations (again like AirBnB or even Ebay).

There's no physical exchange of cash, and everything is metered.

I like it because:
1. You can book it and the app will give you a good indication of ETA, plus you can track the route.
2. As mentioned there's no cash involved.
3. I think peer to peer stuff is generally a good thing.

I've used it extensively in France and it has been excellent. However the one's in London haven't been as good.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Although they aren't checked, it uses recommendations (again like AirBnB or even Ebay).

i understood they claim to check insurance and background. otherwise, you might as well hitchhike. i've checked their site and info is non-existent on this matter, so anyone know what they claim/reality?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
There's a lot of talk here about uber drivers being on minimum wage. Well I don't know about that but I do know that out of the 100's that I've taken over the last few years around the world they are often very friendly, jovial and helpful.

London black cab drivers on the other hand are usually angry, rude, white middle aged men who use the knowledge to take the long way round and completely rip you off.

Good luck to uber , it's a service that has changed my life for the better.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
Thank you for your reply, but what can the non Uber cabbies claim that offers a safer better journey for us the punters ... ?
If customers want to use Uber's London minicabs working Brighton and Hove, as was the case at the weekend, then good luck to them.

I mean London Uber minicabs have only been involved in 32 rapes and sexual assaults in the last year, so locals should be ok.

TB

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Actually I was wrong

"Every driver working on the platform is fully-licensed by Transport for London, has undergone an enhanced Criminal Records check (now called a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check) and carries a TfL Private Hire badge as well as a TfL roundel on their vehicle. UberTAXI drivers, like all black cab drivers, have undergone an enhanced DBS check and display their taxi badge and cab number in the inside of the car.

Uber partner-drivers undergo further vetting and training, including checks of all their personal and vehicle licensing documents. Private hire drivers have to show eight documents to join the platform, including commercial insurance for them and their car to carry passengers. Uber’s system keeps track of every document’s validity – if a document expires, Uber’s system automatically prevents the driver from working on the platform until their documents are in order."

https://newsroom.uber.com/uk/prioritising-safety-at-uber-london/

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm in two minds. I've used Uber in London and it's from my experience a cracking service and far cheaper. I think taxis in Brighton are vastly overpriced.

However, I take no pleasure in Uber's contribution toward the employment rights race to the bottom we have going on here at the moment. Should they start to turn a profit, I very much doubt they'll pay much tax here.

But do you know what I really resent. It's this 32 rapes number being thrown down my throat by people who seem to have found an interest the safety of vulnerable (mainly) women when it suits them. Just out of interest, how many sexual assault claims were there against London taxis in that period? What % of the number of journeys by each method had a claim of this type? The number in and of itself is, whilst tragic for the victims, meaningless with no context.

Seems to me that (mainly) women's safety is being weaponsied to suit an agenda. Not cool.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
There were 126 confirmed crimes of a violent or sexual nature carried out by taxi drivers in London in 2015. 32 of these were linked to Uber. But some people seem to feel perfectly safe in a standard taxi but vulnerable when using Uber... which makes absolutely no sense.

Uber carry out thorough background checks on all drivers. You are also provided with a picture of the driver on the app, so you know what they look like before they arrive. This means that they can't simply let a mate who hasn't had any background checks use their taxi to earn some extra cash.

I'm glad that Uber is now in Brighton. Taxi's have been too expensive here for too long, costing almost £20 for a ten minute journey. Yes, Uber probably won't pay hardly any tax in the UK. But I don't care, because it'd just be given out to lazy people sitting at home claiming benefits because they can't be bothered to work, even though they're perfectly capable. I'd rather be charged 20% for the taxi and keep the extra few quid in my pocket instead.

The fact that people are distorting facts about rape and sexual assault to suit their own agenda is disgusting.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, Uber probably won't pay hardly any tax in the UK. But I don't care, because it'd just be given out to lazy people sitting at home claiming benefits because they can't be bothered to work, even though they're perfectly capable.

Yeah, **** it!

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
There were 126 confirmed crimes of a violent or sexual nature carried out by taxi drivers in London in 2015. 32 of these were linked to Uber. But some people seem to feel perfectly safe in a standard taxi but vulnerable when using Uber... which makes absolutely no sense.

Uber carry out thorough background checks on all drivers. You are also provided with a picture of the driver on the app, so you know what they look like before they arrive. This means that they can't simply let a mate who hasn't had any background checks use their taxi to earn some extra cash.

I'm glad that Uber is now in Brighton. Taxi's have been too expensive here for too long, costing almost £20 for a ten minute journey. Yes, Uber probably won't pay hardly any tax in the UK. But I don't care, because it'd just be given out to lazy people sitting at home claiming benefits because they can't be bothered to work, even though they're perfectly capable. I'd rather be charged 20% for the taxi and keep the extra few quid in my pocket instead.

The fact that people are distorting facts about rape and sexual assault to suit their own agenda is disgusting.
On friday Uber quoting £55 to gatwick from montefiore hospital brighton taxis set fare £40 for 4 people have heard other prices quoted by Uber and are on a par with brighton cabs or slightly more expensive

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
so, has anyone actually managed to get an Uber in Brighton yet? Everytime I have looked there have been "no cars available"

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
That fact is meaningless without context. It just makes you look stupid.
Suggest you google it.

But hey if you want to put your family and friend in a Uber, go for it.

But then again you are the one saying 32 rapes and assaults is meaningless without the fine minutia, so maybe you would.

TB

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
so, has anyone actually managed to get an Uber in Brighton yet? Everytime I have looked there have been "no cars available"

Every time I look about availability in Brighton, I see "

Brighton
Uber is currently not available in this location"

So, it doesn't look like a meaningful option right now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here