Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Why don't women do HD

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just asked 3 women at work , who all replied they could not give a monkeys if in HD as they can't tell the difference.
I'm not especially interested in technology, but I can see a massive difference in picture quality.

Is it all to do with brain-wiring?

Possibly. Is it more because we all tend to watch a lot more sport, where the difference is very obvious, particularly in ball sports though ?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Also a thing here - I am saved by the fact that sky Q now automatically downloads the HD version. Part of the reason may be Mrs IL's crap eyesight!

As an aside, now we have a 55" OLED TV the SD looks really terrible. Blow up an SD picture to that size and ask a TV to fill in all the extra pixels is a bad idea!

As others have suggested, I think SD channels are now poorer to save bandwidth.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We had Sky for one year due to an offer from an Nsc'er, but when it finished we still have the HD channels. My other half switches it to HD every time eg 115, 178 etc, but I honestly can't tell the difference.

actually I only see the difference when I see someone else with a bigger tv than us...we have a 32" and HD/SD doesnt make that much difference really. On Virgin, the standard definition football on sky was very pixely.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
Excellent thread, I agree with OP, my missus doesn't bother with HD ever!

It actually annoys me if we're watching SD and not HD if I know its available and I always end up changing it over.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
Excellent thread, I agree with OP, my missus doesn't bother with HD ever!

It actually annoys me if we're watching SD and not HD if I know its available and I always end up changing it over.

I'm just interested here..... Do you get annoyed watching SD when it isn't available in HD?

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm intrigued.

As well as the missus I have two daughters. They will just slap a programme on and when I walk in I ask why they aren't watching in HD when to me it looks like a sack of shit. They just shrug and carry on.

The mother in law is the same, new 48 inch super duper TV and just watches everything in SD. I pop around my mums and its the same...not watching HD and moans that if affects the volume if she changes to HD. Pop around my sisters and the same.

Yet any bloke I know with full control of the zapper is watching in HD / 4K whatever.....

Obscure thread I know.

I must be a woman.

Whilst I appreciate HD and all that, to be honest, I can separate the content of what I’m watching from the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
What pees me off is the TV companies charging a premium for higher definition channels. HD broadcast should be the absolute minimum standard now, theres really no excuse for broadcasting SD any more other than as an excuse to justify charging more for HD. With 4K now the latest upgrade to definition standards this gives the broadcasters more profit margin to squeeze out of consumers when in reality it doesn't really cost much more to produce or broadcast in 4K than HD.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Same here! Wife doesn't even notice it's in SD - whereas I'll immediately turn it over to the HD option as soon as I notice her mistake. Even bought a 4K TV so that I could watch sports in the "free" UHD offering from Sky.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Same here! Wife doesn't even notice it's in SD - whereas I'll immediately turn it over to the HD option as soon as I notice her mistake. Even bought a 4K TV so that I could watch sports in the "free" UHD offering from Sky.

You paid 4k for a television ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here