@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

I was just browsing a thread when suddenly an ad took over the entire screen:-

BloodyNSCAds1.jpg

It would appear that it was due to the sponsored add imbedded into the thread:-

BloodyNSCAds2.jpg

I certainly didn't click on it, but it must have been triggered simply by my mouse moving across the add. It took a number of seconds to even find how to close the add, and then it took over the screen twice more when I navigated the thread again. Completely ****ing annoying.

Get rid of the ******* things.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry to moan, but I don't like the ones appearing in the middle of threads. You're following the topic, post by post, and then you read a 'post' that says "Enjoy the spa luxury (whatever)" and you think "WTF?" Then you look at the 'poster' and you realise it's an advert. That's at the level now where it's no longer 'unobtrusive'.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Sorry to moan, but I don't like the ones appearing in the middle of threads. You're following the topic, post by post, and then you read a 'post' that says "Enjoy the spa luxury (whatever)" and you think "WTF?" Then you look at the 'poster' and you realise it's an advert. That's at the level now where it's no longer 'unobtrusive'.

This

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] just lob a £5 sub fee that comes with loyalty points and preferential posting times then provide each 'Gold Member' with a unique log on that is recognised as such which removes the adds. Any lurkers/non-Gold Members can put up with the ads.

This. I'd happily pay towards Bozza's expenses, but the adverts pi55 me off.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

I was just browsing a thread when suddenly an ad took over the entire screen:-

View attachment 90540

It would appear that it was due to the sponsored add imbedded into the thread:-

View attachment 90541

I certainly didn't click on it, but it must have been triggered simply by my mouse moving across the add. It took a number of seconds to even find how to close the add, and then it took over the screen twice more when I navigated the thread again. Completely ****ing annoying.

Get rid of the ******* things.

This happens on most of the football blogs that get promoted on Twitter. The second it does I unfollow the account and try not to click links to it. I'm all for a bit of advertising because I believe content providers need to be paid, but these massive take over ads are an instant red card for the site. Obviously I'd give NSC a bit more leeway than that but, if it happened regularly, I'd post and view far less.

That said this has not happened to me on NSC!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
First time I've had this, but I'm now being diverted to ads popping on new tabs in Explorer every 2-3 mins whilst on here - [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] this is bloody annoying.........................probably me being a luddite, is there a way to block them (or are we about to get an offer to subscribe to 'NSC Premium - The ad-free BHA Forum', yours for £20 a month etc)

Edit - [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] - looks like same thing, same time.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
First time I've had this, but I'm now being diverted to ads popping on new tabs in Explorer every 2-3 mins whilst on here - [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] this is bloody annoying.........................probably me being a luddite, is there a way to block them (or are we about to get an offer to subscribe to 'NSC Premium - The ad-free BHA Forum', yours for £20 a month etc)

Edit - [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] - looks like same thing, same time.

That was my thinking, soon to be offered an ad free NSC for X amount of £

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There always has been an intention to offer an ad-free version of NSC.

Well, a "premium" version of NSC offering a few bells and whistles (such as 'dark' themes) but also to include an ad-free version of the site if people wanted to choose that. That's come out of being asked numerous times over the years by various people if they could contribute to NSC as a way of "thanks" as they enjoy the site and have got so much out of it. It feels right to try and give something back for that, even if it's only very minor.

Doing this has been on my "to do" list for years and there's no indication that I'll get round to it any time soon.

It's certainly not my intent to overload NSC with ads to the point that people feel the need to pay to remove a frustrating experience. I think the logged-in user experience for NSC is pretty unobtrusive from an ad perspective. I use the very same view all day every day myself and I'm not going to put myself through something horrific for the sake of earning a couple more pennies.

If these ads are causing full-screen takeovers then I'll discuss it with the ad agency and/or remove them. Making NSC difficult to use doesn't help anyone.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Wasnt to fussed with the new adds, until i just tried to get onto the board and was instantly redirected to a Virgin atlantic careers site without clicking on anything.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wasnt to fussed with the new adds, until i just tried to get onto the board and was instantly redirected to a Virgin atlantic careers site without clicking on anything.

Did you notice an on-page ad for Virgin careers? My gut feel is it was a misbehaving banner further down the page than one of the new native ads.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Did you notice an on-page ad for Virgin careers? My gut feel is it was a misbehaving banner further down the page than one of the new native ads.

No, as the moment i came onto the site it redirected me straight away.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - Do these new ads pay based on impressions, or do you need clicks? Got no issues with them if you get paid on impressions, but if you need clicks then I suspect they're not going to generate enough to pay enough to justify putting them in.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The utter ruination of this board, rendered unusable when not signed in. I don't always want to sign in, when at work or on the go. Alas twould seem the power's that be don't give a shit about that.

I smell an urge for £ somewhere in the midst of this. I don't think NSC should ever start to pay out on the endeavours of those who chose to run it. Sure don't lose money, but creaming profit off my surfing misery... hmmm...

As for a 'premium' service... what! So you intend to charge me to wade through endless threads full of the 'witty' and ever insightful contributions of BG et al.You must surely jest?!?

Not for all of Albion will I pay money to be tourtoured so by my very own eyes.

I'd say it leaves a bad taste, yet I already hear the clitter clatter of ire driven keypads with 'knowing' retorts... for Kosh dear child, you simply do not understand.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The utter ruination of this board, rendered unusable when not signed in. I don't always want to sign in, when at work or on the go. Alas twould seem the power's that be don't give a shit about that.

I smell an urge for £ somewhere in the midst of this. I don't think NSC should ever start to pay out on the endeavours of those who chose to run it. Sure don't lose money, but creaming profit off my surfing misery... hmmm...

As for a 'premium' service... what! So you intend to charge me to wade through endless threads full of the 'witty' and ever insightful contributions of BG et al.You must surely jest?!?

I'd say it leaves a bad taste, yet I already hear the clitter clatter of ire driven keypads with 'knowing' retorts... Kosh you simply do not understand.

I've never been shy of stating the trade-off:

- Register and login to NSC for minimal ads
- View as a guest and you'll get more ads

There is no intention of making the site unusable when not signed in. Right now I'm in the midst of some experimentation with the make-up of the ads, and whilst what I state above re: logged in users/guests is likely to remain, it serves no purpose to have a site that people don't want to visit. Why would anyone of sane mind intentionally do that?

Finally, no, I don't want to charge you a penny for anything. But a lot of people have been in touch asking how they can contribute and there's never been a mechanism for that. Maybe there never will, but if there is, it feels right to me to try to give something back to those who chip in a few quid. No one will have to, and no one will be bombarded with ads if they don't.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'd say it leaves a bad taste, yet I already hear the clitter clatter of ire driven keypads with 'knowing' retorts... for Kosh dear child, you simply do not understand.

Au contraire, I think BG should go on the stand up circuit. The man's a comedy genius.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] - Do these new ads pay based on impressions, or do you need clicks? Got no issues with them if you get paid on impressions, but if you need clicks then I suspect they're not going to generate enough to pay enough to justify putting them in.

I suspect it's a mixture of both but as is always the case with ads, the publisher (me) never knows which are which.

I'd never encourage anyone to click on any ads just "to help NSC".

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here