Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Upgraded from 8.1 and I think it is much better than that.

The Original

Jan 25, 2010
50.83295°N 0.26815°W
Upgraded two home laptops to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and 8.0. Upgrade process was straightforward and aesthetically and performance wise Windows 10 is better than both predecessors in my opinion. I am however getting continued issues with accounts not being able to connect to Group Policy Settings, Norton 360 getting disabled and various other 'quirks' that come and go. A restart normally resolves things temporarily but not a permanent solution. I have had a search in a few forums and this doesn't appear to be isolated but no clear guidance to fix. I'd be interested if anyone else is seeing these issues and if there is any guidance for a permanent fix.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I really like Windows 10, only had a couple of problems initially with a system error which I managed to find a fix for but that hasn't happened for a while now.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Upgraded two home laptops to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and 8.0. Upgrade process was straightforward and aesthetically and performance wise Windows 10 is better than both predecessors in my opinion. I am however getting continued issues with accounts not being able to connect to Group Policy Settings, Norton 360 getting disabled and various other 'quirks' that come and go. A restart normally resolves things temporarily but not a permanent solution. I have had a search in a few forums and this doesn't appear to be isolated but no clear guidance to fix. I'd be interested if anyone else is seeing these issues and if there is any guidance for a permanent fix.

My Desktop PC now cannot join my homegroup as Windows 10 doesn't know what the time is. I've stopped using it as a serious operating system, just use it for playing the odd game. Dual boot with Sabayon Linux for email, browsing, burning cd's and so on. My laptop is still nagging me to upgrade from Windows 8.1, but why should I? It does everything I want it to. If it ain't broke etc etc

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Any good?

Worth upgrading from 7 or keep to what I know?

As a friend of mine in the computer industry (he writes games for mobile phones) said to me wryly "If a company like Microsoft are giving something away for free, you are the product." It's stuffed full of spyware and tracking software, so if you do upgrade, say no to everything. For instance, Microsoft can scan all your emails looking for keywords with which to bombard you with ads, so read the small print.

Last edited:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
As a friend of mine in the computer industry (he writes games for mobile phones) said to me wryly "If a company like Microsoft are giving something away for free, you are the product." It's stuffed full of spyware and tracking software, so if you do upgrade, say no to everything. For instance, Microsoft can scan all your emails looking for keywords with which to bombard you with ads, so read the small print.

Yeah, I read that that too...Daily Mail or Watchdog I think.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've got a box with win/7 on it that I only use for writing programs in VB.net to use at work.
It said "do you want to upgrade to windows 10 ?"
I thought "Yeah, can always re-install 7 if it's shit" so I clicked "YES"
It then said "Your computer's too shit to run windows 10"

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Had to find this thread through google search as NSC search doesn't work.

Now getting an advert for a free down load every time I switch on is it worth trying? It was suggested to wait for Microsoft to overcome any teething problems.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had to find this thread through google search as NSC search doesn't work.

Now getting an advert for a free down load every time I switch on is it worth trying? It was suggested to wait for Microsoft to overcome any teething problems.

Please resist just the thoughts of how many threads you would start if you did this is frightening

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Any good?

Worth upgrading from 7 or keep to what I know?

It will be a big change, but I have no qualms having previously used Vista then 8.1, far superior to 8.1. Against 7 I have no idea??????

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Indeed, when it comes to Windows O/S releases;
Flash-man takes immediately and lives on the bleeding edge.
Wise-man takes after Service Pack One and lives on the leading edge.
Man with no computer knowledge waits for Windows 11 to be announced.
Wiser man sticks with his perfectly working version of 7 until it stops being supported!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Indeed, when it comes to Windows O/S releases;
Flash-man takes immediately and lives on the bleeding edge.
Wise-man takes after Service Pack One and lives on the leading edge.
Man with no computer knowledge waits for Windows 11 to be announced.

But then you would have to wait for the Service Pack again. :)

I finally upgraded a few weeks back. Had no problems at all.

Think there's a time limit for the free upgrade.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
My Desktop PC now cannot join my homegroup as Windows 10 doesn't know what the time is. I've stopped using it as a serious operating system, just use it for playing the odd game. Dual boot with Sabayon Linux for email, browsing, burning cd's and so on. My laptop is still nagging me to upgrade from Windows 8.1, but why should I? It does everything I want it to. If it ain't broke etc etc
Same as that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here