Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RWC Final NZ v Aust

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Fair enough. I'm aware I'm not very well versed with the subtleties of the sport, which is probably the main reason I find it a bit of a turnoff. Deliberately hoiking into touch isn't overly admirable in terms of a passage of play either IMO, but the chinless tweed brigade in the stands always seem to go nuts over that as well.

:shrug:

Various rules in rugby change so often that very few people actually understand all of the intricacies of it. Referees also officiate things very differently in different parts of the world, so when it comes to a World Cup, it is a bit of a lottery.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I should think it hardly likely a lot of people would really enjoy the rugby really as its been proven on NSC over the last few weeks very few actually understand the rules. I've loved it. If you only tuned into the the England games then you are hardly a rugby union fan are you. Sort of people who watched Torville and Dean and then knew all about Ice Dancing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I should think it hardly likely a lot of people would really enjoy the rugby really as its been proven on NSC over the last few weeks very few actually understand the rules. I've loved it. If you only tuned into the the England games then you are hardly a rugby union fan are you. Sort of people who watched Torville and Dean and then knew all about Ice Dancing.

Never claimed to be one. I pay some passing interest to the 6 Nations and the WC when it comes round, but I usually end up wondering why I bothered.

Except that SA v Japan game. I watched the last 20 minutes of that and was genuinely gripped. THAT was epic - sport at its absolute best. You don't have to be a fan to appreciate something like that.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Eh?

Both semi finals were live on 5Live sports extra, with regular updates on 5Live.

Relegated to Sports Xtra exactly, hardly a place for a semi final for a so called major sporting event we are hosting. Shows public interest has evaporated...

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
NZ v Australia final ? Surely we could have skipped the previous 6 weeks odd and just gone straight to this match ... after all who didn't expect this to be the final ?

Pretty much every previous World Cup you could have said the same but this is the first time they have met in the final.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Never claimed to be one. I pay some passing interest to the 6 Nations and the WC when it comes round, but I usually end up wondering why I bothered.

Except that SA v Japan game. I watched the last 20 minutes of that and was genuinely gripped. THAT was epic - sport at its absolute best. You don't have to be a fan to appreciate something like that.

So the SA v Japan game has been the exception for you for a sport you admit you have no more than a passing interest in. Well it was certainly exceptional Easy....... A never to be forgotten moment in rugby history. If that is the only bit that has engaged you though then you are not a rugby union fan but surely you knew that before so why bother watching it ? I know Lewis Hamilton wrapped things up yesterday but would never sit through a Grand Prix or join in on a Formula One discussion. Christ...... Now that is f,.,.,.g boring.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So the SA v Japan game has been the exception for you for a sport you admit you have no more than a passing interest in. Well it was certainly exceptional Easy....... A never to be forgotten moment in rugby history. If that is the only bit that has engaged you though then you are not a rugby union fan but surely you knew that before so why bother watching it ? I know Lewis Hamilton wrapped things up yesterday but would never sit through a Grand Prix or join in on a Formula One discussion. Christ...... Now that is f,.,.,.g boring.

What happened ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Why bother watching it ? Because it was a worldwide event taking place in my town, in my stadium. I was in town before the game at the fanzone on the beach for a couple of hours, taking in the atmosphere and chatting with some of the fans who'd made the trip. Just a bit of curiosity, and a bit of pride in my town for hosting this event. I met up with a couple of mates later on in a pub, the game was on of course, and it was bloody brilliant. One of the greatest sporting moments I've ever witnessed, it was pure drama. You don't have to be a RU fan to enjoy something like that - just a sports fan. Which I most certainly am.

Doesn't make me a Rugby Union fan at all. But I love sporting drama regardless, and that delivered in SPADES

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Why bother watching it ? Because it was a worldwide event taking place in my town, in my stadium. I was in town before the game at the fanzone on the beach for a couple of hours, taking in the atmosphere and chatting with some of the fans who'd made the trip. Just a bit of curiosity, and a bit of pride in my town for hosting this event. I met up with a couple of mates later on in a pub, the game was on of course, and it was bloody brilliant. One of the greatest sporting moments I've ever witnessed, it was pure drama. You don't have to be a RU fan to enjoy something like that - just a sports fan. Which I most certainly am.

Doesn't make me a Rugby Union fan at all. But I love sporting drama regardless, and that delivered in SPADES

I understand watching the Amex game, but I generally meant people and not particularly just you watching a sport that they neither understand or particularly like. On another tact I struggle to understand why rugby and football fans spend so much time arguing about which is the better game. The better game is the one you prefer I suppose but that doesn't mean they cannot co-exist comfortably enough along side each other. For the record I prefer club football - and I suspect that's because I like the tribalism that exists - but I prefer internationals when it comes to rugby union over international football. I watch Worthing play rugby sometimes but could never get excited at those games like I do as when watching The Albion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Club rugby I could not give a flying fluck at a rolling donut about. Leeds Wombats against Wigan Moths or whatever, INSTANT channel-hop.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Loads of interest here, in fact they were talking of getting the finals game transferred down here, as there would be a bigger crowd and people won't have to stay up all night to watch it.
NZ v OZ, local derby.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
CO-AehaXAAIRa5X.jpg

Nigel has got the final. I'm guessing Barnesy's mistakes in the Semi-Final cost him. Although the decision may have been made beforehand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here