Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ince

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Interesting how Ince gets his own thread yet Crofts who was significantly poorer on saturday seems to have got away scot free....

Lets all have a pop at our young players again by the looks of it.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Interesting how Ince gets his own thread yet Crofts who was significantly poorer on saturday seems to have got away scot free....

Bang on.

Odd thread, full stop. Ince wasn't even PARTICULARLY poor on Saturday. He's had better games, but it was hardly a stinker of Agustien / Gardner proportions. If we had won - and given the excellent football in the first half, we might well have done - this thread would never even have been started.

Quite why some folk feel compelled to find a scapegoat, is beyond me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Because Crofts wasn't. Again it's not about 'having a pop at younger players', it's more of an observation, that Ince had a poor game, which IMO he did, especially given how well he can play, as I highlighted earlier.

Can't remember what ratings I have given them, but I think Crofts was a 6 and Ince a 4, mainly because his passing was so poor and at times he seemed asleep.

Ince has done a good job from the bench this year, which makes Saturday all the more frustrating, probably for him as well.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I have outlined my views on Ince here before, but Saturday was not his fault, it was Hughton's. Against a nominal 5-3-2, with the wing backs and centre halves doubling up on our wingers we needed to have a different solution to 442. Hughton was out-thought by Grayson and we desperately needed someone with quality on the ball like Holla rather than a sterile combination of Ince and Crofts. Games like that are often won with dead-ball situations and our best dead ball operator was on the bench.

It is not misguided to say that Ince is not Championship standard, on a talent level he is probably Conference or League 2 level. He is where he is because of where he came from and his imposing presence. He could never be a centre half because he cannot head the ball, his deficiencies in this area are difficult to watch for someone with his attributes.

It often surprises me on here when I see him being lauded and someone who is Championship level like JFC being derided. It sums up in two players everything that has and will continue to be wrong with lower level football in England. Ince can't receive the ball on the turn, is static in possession, only looks for a safe option (relieved that he managed to control and not lose the ball), can't head the ball, can't play a killer pass and is generally not very good. JFC plays for England, is comfortable in possession, looks up for an option, can play a killer pass, can head the ball and is by any measure a very good footballer. Yet, because Ince is strong, big and wins a tackle every now and then (usually when he's desperately tracking back having lost possession) some love him.

It's an NSC triumph...Good player gets battered in incessant threads and goes to MK Dons on loan where his stats recently were the highest in the division, and is loved; below average lump is lauded on here and becomes our go to option against a team in the bottom half of the division when 3 points would have put us 6 points clear - plays like a lampost.

Amazing.

Maybe the heirachy don't read this forum, but many people who have opinions inside the club do, and they will not have been impervious to the assaults JFC was coming under.

Excellent post - I'm not sure if I agree with all of it, but it's very good all the same.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Because Crofts wasn't. Again it's not about 'having a pop at younger players', it's more of an observation, that Ince had a poor game, which IMO he did, especially given how well he can play, as I highlighted earlier.

Can't remember what ratings I have given them, but I think Crofts was a 6 and Ince a 4, mainly because his passing was so poor and at times he seemed asleep.

Ince has done a good job from the bench this year, which makes Saturday all the more frustrating, probably for him as well.

You watched a different game to me im afraid, Crofts gave it away many more times than Ince did.

Ince had an under par game, but Crofts had a stinker in my opinion when given his experience he should have been leading that midfield, at least Ince broke up play and spread the play when he could.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This really is a bit of a strange thread. Ince didn't have a bad game on Saturday, merely an indifferent one, where both our CMs looked sub-standard in comparison to the two that normally start. This is hardly surprising as they're probably the best CM duo in the Championship, or at least have been so far.
I really can't remember Ince misplacing a pass, but then again I can't remember him making one that hurt the opposition.
In the games that he's come on, when we've moved to a 4-1-4-1 to hold the game, he's done well. He did neither well nor badly yesterday. Where I will align myself with the doom merchants on here, is that he hasn't progressed since his start under Oscar, and seems to have had that exuberance knocked out of him. But, he remains part of an extremely decent back up for Stephens and Kayal, and him, Crofts, JFC and Holla give CH plenty of options in their absence.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
This really is a bit of a strange thread. Ince didn't have a bad game on Saturday, merely an indifferent one, where both our CMs looked sub-standard in comparison to the two that normally start. This is hardly surprising as they're probably the best CM duo in the Championship, or at least have been so far.
I really can't remember Ince misplacing a pass, but then again I can't remember him making one that hurt the opposition.
In the games that he's come on, when we've moved to a 4-1-4-1 to hold the game, he's done well. He did neither well nor badly yesterday. Where I will align myself with the doom merchants on here, is that he hasn't progressed since his start under Oscar, and seems to have had that exuberance knocked out of him. But, he remains part of an extremely decent back up for Stephens and Kayal, and him, Crofts, JFC and Holla give CH plenty of options in their absence.

All about right.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I was watching Ince passing very closely. It was near 100% short accurate ( total 81% accuracy) passes in the first half. But he only had 50 touches of the ball in the whole match. Crofts had 45 with passing of 63% accuracy.

Gallagher (PNE) 96, 83% accuracy.

Stephens recently averages about 70.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Maybe the heirachy don't read this forum, but many people who have opinions inside the club do, and they will not have been impervious to the assaults JFC was coming under.

Are you suggesting that Caskey being loaned out and Ince playing is due to people on NSC criticising (rightly or wrongly) Caskey but praising (rightly or wrongly) Ince respectively?!

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Are you suggesting that Caskey being loaned out and Ince playing is due to people on NSC criticising (rightly or wrongly) Caskey but praising (rightly or wrongly) Ince respectively?!

Yes, here and in the stands and on Twitter. JFC had to shut down his account FFS, yet Ince gets a song and applause. Beats me, seriously. Managers will always protect players from that kind of abuse and in relative terms it's completely nuts.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Yes, here and in the stands and on Twitter. JFC had to shut down his account FFS, yet Ince gets a song and applause. Beats me, seriously. Managers will always protect players from that kind of abuse and in relative terms it's completely nuts.

I would have thought that Hughton and the club would stick by their players and not ship them off, that doesn't send a great message! Also I'm not sure Hughton is the sort to play, or not play someone, to appease a few clowns!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Disappointed. I thought Rohan Ince would be good enough to earn a regular place this season. In a four man midfield like away at Middlesbrough last season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here