Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poor old Bournemouth

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The advantage we have is our manager is capable of managing in the PL.

I think the ONE thing AFCB have is a premiership manager.

They are a small unambitious club with a two bob ground, no proper training ground, a foreign owner. A bunch of fringe players that Eddie Howe managed brilliantly to win last year.

The fanbase is small. No tradition and no interest locally. Remind me of other short term visitors to the prem like Barnsley Bradford and Blackpool. Difference is the money is huge now. But as they are spending it all on wages I still see them as back playing the likes of Yeovil soon enough.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the ONE thing AFCB have is a premiership manager.

They are a small unambitious club with a two bob ground, no proper training ground, a foreign owner. A bunch of fringe players that Eddie Howe managed brilliantly to win last year.

The fanbase is small. No tradition and no interest locally. Remind me of other short term visitors to the prem like Barnsley Bradford and Blackpool. Difference is the money is huge now. But as they are spending it all on wages I still see them as back playing the likes of Yeovil soon enough.

Have you seen where Yeovil are now ?

Yikes.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Looking at their first run of games before he got injured, they did ok at the back.

I like Tommy Elphick, but he got turned inside out and then back again in successive matches against West Ham, Leicester and Norwich. At first some people in the media team at Bmuff thought his injury was a diplomatic one to cover up for dropping him in favour of Distin.

I actually thought they were very lucky to go up last season with basically a League One team plus one fantastic striker. I saw them, I think, six times and they only won twice and I couldn't figure out how they were winning with such an average squad. The almost freakish luck with injuries helped, and that has certainly turned right around this season.

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
To be fair Wilson out for the season has screwed them. And he'll probably get poached by a Prem team when he's fit again next season.

That's the biggest reason. Also in truth Bournemouth's exciting football in the champo wasn't set up for receiving injuries in the Prem. Their two main weapons of blistering attack and the ability to dive efficiently have simultaneously been taken out by Wilson's injury and Prem refs having none of it.

Without them they're left with a defence they never really focussed on as much which while capable of coasting in this league will get battered up there and a makeshift attack so they're on the slide.

That said, there's other sides I want to go down more than them. The Tyne and Wear Laurel and Hardy for a start. And unless Villa have drastic improvement then they'd be stealing a trapdoor spot from them.

Although if just one of the Barcodes and Fat Sam's cloggers go down it does mean my team get a derby day next season whether we go up or not....

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
If you go up the money on offer will be the most ever , you reckon he won't want any of it ? Fan or not he's £200m+ out of pocket so I'm sure the payback would start .

Financial advice from Palace...... bit like taking anger management from Ronnie Pickering!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I like Tommy Elphick, but he got turned inside out and then back again in successive matches against West Ham, Leicester and Norwich. At first some people in the media team at Bmuff thought his injury was a diplomatic one to cover up for dropping him in favour of Distin.

I actually thought they were very lucky to go up last season with basically a League One team plus one fantastic striker. I saw them, I think, six times and they only won twice and I couldn't figure out how they were winning with such an average squad. The almost freakish luck with injuries helped, and that has certainly turned right around this season.
You are right, they got lucky, they hit good form and were incredibly fortunate with injuries. Sometimes undeserving teams get promoted, it happened to palace and now Bournemouth. Palace have done very well, but i think Bournemouth will go straight down. Bournemouth also had the added advantage of being refereed by local supporters. I wonder if we could swing that one this year? [emoji3]

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It might be simplistic, but when he was playing they conceded one or two goals a game. Since he's been injured, they've conceded 5 goals, twice.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Seems a bit early to write off a club that has conceded just 3 more goals than Chelsea and are only 3 points behind them in the league ???
Even though Chelsea are a wonderful car crash ATM, whose squad would you prefer? I know who I'd back.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Even though Chelsea are a wonderful car crash ATM, whose squad would you prefer? I know who I'd back.

Of course, but the comparison does put Bournemouth's position into perspective - too early to write them off is all I'm saying.

A couple of years back and after 9 games Palace were stuck at the bottom of the PL with just 3 points!!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This thread is a perfect example of why our Palace posters aren't supposed to post on non-Palace threads: It's a thread about how badly Bournemuff have done these past couple of weeks, yet 4 out of the 5 pages consist of a Brighton - Palace slanging match after one of their fans, who is clearly a virgin with no life, has derailed it.

Back on subject, I expect Bournmuff to suffer plenty of spankings this year; Cook and Elphick are way out if their depth.

You'd have to assume that the mods issued a hefty INFRACTION, really.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A couple of years back and after 9 games Palace were stuck at the bottom of the PL with just 3 points!!!

A miracle was served up in south London. Tony Pulis should never be forgiven. Just like dougie, Vince Hilaire Malcolm Allison (the prat) and especially Jim Cannon!

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I can't really 'hate' opposition fans or desperately hope clubs do badly. Life's too short etc and I'd rather focus on the positives at the Albion.

However, of all the great opposition fans I've met over the years, I've found the current crop of Bournemouth fans (of whom I've met, so this IS a generalisation) the most distasteful.

I've only met smug, sneering, sarcastic types bereft of any banter or humour. Football's equivalent of 'small-man syndrome'. So I'm not too upset to see them flirting with the relegation places.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Don't you think it was reward for a positive attitude ? That is what seemed to set them apart from the rest (apart from as you say. luck with injuries).

Don't disagree with that, but that will only take you so far. I'm only basing my opinion on matches I personally watched, and I saw a lot of hard-working people like Arter scuttling around, but nothing special apart from Wilson up front. They played as a team and worked very hard for each other, but man-for-man I don't think they were anywhere near as good as, say, the Albion side that finished fourth under Gus, and Mullery's team would have beaten them out of sight.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It might be simplistic, but when he was playing they conceded one or two goals a game. Since he's been injured, they've conceded 5 goals, twice.

As an average over his five appearances you're right (nine in five games), but the three they conceded at both West Ham and Norwich included a couple of embarrassing ones. And the penalty Leicester scored against them was a result of Cook trying to rescue the situation after Tommy E had been skinned.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here