Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Phil Neville

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
But he's been coaching teams at a much higher level. There's plenty of precedent for making the step up from coach/assistant manager to head coach.
Which other national team managers had never managed a team before they were appointed?

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I don't think they would have grounds for terminating your employment as under the 1974 Offenders Act the conviction is deemed "spent" and should be ignored.
disclosure_of%20cautions_and_convictions-155.png

https://www.askthe.police.uk/Content/Q89.htm

wow, is that real?
so a couple of minor convictions at the age of 18-20 will show up on any DBS?
scary

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I don't think they would have grounds for terminating your employment as under the 1974 Offenders Act the conviction is deemed "spent" and should be ignored.
disclosure_of%20cautions_and_convictions-155.png

https://www.askthe.police.uk/Content/Q89.htm

I completely know and understand that, but I am just coming up for my 6 months probation period and it is very easy for them to say I'm just not suitable, also I heard the phone call my Director made to the HR department (only his side obviously) in London and he was very much fighting my cause, but the main point is I am far from established and part of the furniture if you get my drift, obviously the fact my Director defended me I would like to think that I will be in time to come.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Not sure whether he has a low IQ, but the rest of your point is valid. Just because he played for England and Man U (and therefore people have heard of him) does NOT mean he will automatically make a good manager. Both Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore were terrible managers despite their high profiles and illustrious playing careers.

So yeah, I think it's a risky appointment on those grounds. The fact he's made a couple of public online comments that aren't deemed to be wholly acceptable in this day and age shouldn't matter one iota. I'd hate him to lose the job because of that.

I get what your saying but how difficult is it to think"Better check my media history to see if ive been cracking jokes about women and edit it" before accepting the job? He works in media so has few excuses. some hack is bound to work through his social media history given hes a footballer not a diplomat from a traditional ladish culture.

Its not just a joke overheard on a ladish stag do, hes published an of the cuff joke about beating his wife/domestic violence. I wouldn't mind so much if he thrived on this OTT humour but he is by common consent Mr Boring.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
So funny as saying it 'doesn't meet the threshold for a charge' the FA have made an absolute rod for their own back now, as if they charge footballers after this regarding the content of 'historical tweets' (as they did with Andre Gray) and could do with Everton's Mason Holgate (under investigation for 'homophobic' tweets when he was 15-16) any defence i imagine would be along the lines of: 'you let Phil Neville off, surely my client should also be let off.' Oh dear what a mess for them. They get so much wrong.

Where were 'Kick it Out' recently when Trevor Sinclair was found to have called a Policeman a 'white c%&t'........was a deafening silence from them. Seemingly only interested in tackling racism one way and not the other. Imagine if was say Danny Mills who had called a Policeman a black c%&t, they'd have been all over it..........'racism in football very much alive' 'education is needed' blah blah blah.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Also, football has no history of appointing managers based on qualification or fairness. As others have mentioned Ryan Giggs just got the Wales job with a similar CV to Phil Neville and morally he's done much worse than a couple of misguided tweets - how many people are making a fuss about that?

Mullers did pretty well didn't he!:thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Odds on Neville "standing down" before the weekend?

Not even so much about him anymore but the underhand methods used by the FA to recruit him.
if their heads are at risk they'll put Neville up for sacrifice first.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It probably will.........on Monday I had to submit a DBS to my company that I have now been with for 6 months or so, a couple of smallish issues came up on the DBS, in all honesty I had forgotten about 2 of them (4 in total) 3 of the issues happened nearly 45 years ago! I had to get my boss to fight for my employment! FFS it was 45 years ago, i was young, very young! I am not going to say what the issues were for no other reason than I refuse to discuss them on a message board (and I have to leave for work soon) I understand the need for the DBS but FFS bringing up small offences of 45 years ago and making the wording look like i am the worlds most wanted man is ****ing ridiculous!!

Ok, I will give you one of the offences to give an idea of how pathetic they are, when I was 17 (i am coming up 63 soon) my mother (who in fairness and totally unbeknown to me and my brother and sister) had gone through a divorce with my Dad and was also in the early stages of senile dementia (no one knew what it was then) she had her electric cut off for non payment of bill, I re connected it, I was done (after my mother was accused of being responsible for doing it, i admitted it) for extracting £5.27p worth of electricity, I understand its deemed as theft but come on I don't think I was going to first in line to be recruited by the great train robbers!! I went to court got a £10 fine and had to pay back the £5.27, it was 46 years ago and it showed up on the DBS like i'm a total criminal........

To conclude, the company listened to my Director who fought my cause and I have kept my job.......If I had just scanned it off to the head office in London the probability was I would be sat here unemployed........****ing ridiculous!! I might ad I have a perfect record apart from a couple of motoring offences for many many years!!

With your avatar quite openly sexualising women I’m surprised Bozza hasn’t called you in for a meeting. :)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
So funny as saying it 'doesn't meet the threshold for a charge' the FA have made an absolute rod for their own back now, as if they charge footballers after this regarding the content of 'historical tweets' (as they did with Andre Gray) and could do with Everton's Mason Holgate (under investigation for 'homophobic' tweets when he was 15-16) any defence i imagine would be along the lines of: 'you let Phil Neville off, surely my client should also be let off.' Oh dear what a mess for them. They get so much wrong.

Where were 'Kick it Out' recently when Trevor Sinclair was found to have called a Policeman a 'white c%&t'........was a deafening silence from them. Seemingly only interested in tackling racism one way and not the other. Imagine if was say Danny Mills who had called a Policeman a black c%&t, they'd have been all over it..........'racism in football very much alive' 'education is needed' blah blah blah.

Or in fact they released a statement criticising Sinclair and saying he should know better but don’t let that fact get in the way of your agenda.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Or in fact they released a statement criticising Sinclair and saying he should know better but don’t let that fact get in the way of your agenda.

I stand corrected indeed they did:

http://www.voice-online.co.uk/article/kick-it-out-issues-statement-regard-trevor-sinclair.

I would suggest they did the absolute bare minimum they had to and if was a white ex footballer guilty of such an act of racism towards a BAME policeman Lord Ousely and everyone else making a handsome living from the 'racism in football' industry would've been far more vociferous about the incident. Popping up on SSN and 5 Live etc.

Incidentally when does having a (perfectly legitimate) opinion become an 'agenda?'

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Its easy to expose your lies and deceit:lol:

Funny how someone like you who claims to be so attuned to racism that you can see it in threads when others say there is none, or can claim somone is bigotted posting, again with no evidence but can miss the obvious racism in the new star wars movie. As I said fake morality..:tosser:

Whatever you need to tell your self Loons :lolol::facepalm:

I love the fact that you had to check your own posts to make sure who hadn't tried to feebly link to Islam. You muppet :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The tweets were poorly thought through. He needs to say that, learn and move on. He’s got the chance to do something really positive for women’s football.

However, he’s got zero experience as a manager and could well be a disaster, but that’s for a different thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The tweets were poorly thought through. He needs to say that, learn and move on. He’s got the chance to do something really positive for women’s football.

However, he’s got zero experience as a manager and could well be a disaster, but that’s for a different thread.

Absolutely. But I doubt if 'Yours truly, Shocked and Outraged' will be able to grasp the distinction is another matter!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here