Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tommy Lawrence. Liverpool.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
I'm sure I watched him in goal for Tranmere playing against us at the Goldstone in the early '70s. I also seem to remember Ron Yeates playing in the same game. This was the era when First Division footballers stepped down a division or two to play for a couple more years to get more money in as they weren't payed the millions they get now.
Also remember Bobby Charlton playing sweeper for Preston when he was their Player-Manager.

Yes i remember that Tranmere game. I was standing at the north end of the east terrace by the floodlight pylon.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
And he played more than 250 games for Liverpool so he may get a tribute at their next home game unlike our local lad who fell short.
That still, and will alway rankle with me.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
For those of 'us' that 'are' old enough to remember Tommy Lawrence, as a kid at that Tranmere game, we were in awe that such Liverpool legends as Lawrence and Ron Yeats were playing at the Goldstone. Lawrence preceded Ray Clemence. as regular Liverpool keeper. R.I.P.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I actually hate that interview as the pig-ignorant **** interviewing him had no clue who he was. You'd think he'd at least done some basic research to discover who was playing in that game. And it's not as if it was a one-off appearance either, Lawrence was the Liverpool keeper almost all the way through through the Shankly era

I dunno, it must be an age thing as I see the esteemed Buzzer hasn't heard of him either. Such is life. I guess soon the names of Hunt, St John, Yeats, Lawler, Thompson, Hughes, Evans, Toshack etc will follow Tommy into the 'Who?' category. I'm sad in more ways than one.

The reporter probably knew the list of names, but how would you recognise an elderly man from the photo in post 15?
When he asked him & Tommy replied he played in it, he still had to ask him which one he was.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I dunno, it must be an age thing as I see the esteemed Buzzer hasn't heard of him either. Such is life. I guess soon the names of Hunt, St John, Yeats, Lawler, Thompson, Hughes, Evans, Toshack etc will follow Tommy into the 'Who?' category. I'm sad in more ways than one.

For those who grew up in that era as kids, most names are instantly recognisable, no matter what team you supported. I couldn't stand Chelsea or Leeds, but I even now, I could near enough name their normal starting eleven without researching. The Premier League era of overpaid babies? No chance.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The reporter probably knew the list of names, but how would you recognise an elderly man from the photo in post 15?
When he asked him & Tommy replied he played in it, he still had to ask him which one he was.

No of course I wouldn't expect him to recognise an old man. But when the interviewer asks if he remembers the game Lawrence replies "I played in it. I was the goalkeeper for Liverpool." Yes, then I would expect the penny to drop, Then I would expect someone to say something like "Wow! Are you Tommy Lawrence then?".

I would expect that from someone with even a cursory knowledge of the Shankly era at Liverpool. For a TV reporter from the North West area not to know who Shankly's goalkeeper was I find incredible. And sad.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Saw him play for Tranmere at the Goldstone and Brighton /Liverpool fan ran onto the pitch from the North Stand and gave him a hug .

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
For those who grew up in that era as kids, most names are instantly recognisable, no matter what team you supported. I couldn't stand Chelsea or Leeds, but I even now, I could near enough name their normal starting eleven without researching. The Premier League era of overpaid babies? No chance.

Before the days of Football Manager with its 25 man squads, we all had boxes of subbuteo players and could name pretty much every first 11 for every team.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Saw him play for Tranmere at the Goldstone and Brighton /Liverpool fan ran onto the pitch from the North Stand and gave him a hug .

Yes indeed. I forgot about that, but now I remember it. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here