Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WC: Group H Deciders

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Conversely, if it was one of ours - Dunky say - getting his heel to the ball, and not doing it recklessly, then it would be great if he could do that without giving up a penalty. I haven't been a big fan of VAR, but if it allows technically good defenders to go for the ball in the penalty area with confidence, then I'm coming around to it, even though it is a massive change to the sport. At the moment, without VAR, you have defenders opting to do sneaky stuff like shirt pulling because they feel there is less chance they'll give up a penalty than if they get the ball legitimately and the attacker clatters to the floor. Hopefully there'll be less diving too.

We can only hope that this is how it will be used and enforced. The problem is going to be slowing the game down too much. There is still a long way to go with VAR and, in general, I'm really enjoying how it's bein used so far (especially as I watched the game yesterday in a room full of Germans and had to tell them why it wasn't offside :)) but I think it could be used in the same way it is with Rugby: A word in the ear and the decision is made by both refs, no running over to a TV needed

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Remind me how France's was awarded against Australia then?

This is the thing... the "interpretation" is up to each referee on an individual basis. we need to start using multiple Refs (which is what VAR is supposed to be doing) to make a clear decision based on the rules, not how they're interpreted

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Is Valderama wearing a shirt with his name on the back? Surely with that haircut he can't be worried that nobody would recognise him.....

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Where's the intensity from Colombia? They pretty much need to win. I like Senegal, so I'm not that bothered, but it is a stolid game. On the plus side, in the US, we have former Albion loanee Tony Meola as co-commentator. He is quite good, and with his Joisey accent, sounds like one of the Sopranos talking about football.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
This is the thing... the "interpretation" is up to each referee on an individual basis. we need to start using multiple Refs (which is what VAR is supposed to be doing) to make a clear decision based on the rules, not how they're interpreted

Which would be great except the Laws actually state:
Decisions will be made to the best of the referee`s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’ and will be based on the opinion of the referee.

You will always have differences of opinion, even between highly trained referees and when you are talking about the difference between a "reckless" or a "careless" tackle for example, absolute consistency is pretty much impossible and the individual referee's interpretation will be unavoidable.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Which would be great except the Laws actually state:
Decisions will be made to the best of the referee`s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the ‘spirit of the game’ and will be based on the opinion of the referee.

You will always have differences of opinion, even between highly trained referees and when you are talking about the difference between a "reckless" or a "careless" tackle for example, absolute consistency is pretty much impossible and the individual referee's interpretation will be unavoidable.

So why are we using VAR at all then?

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
So why are we using VAR at all then?

My opinion is for games like last night. Korea’s goal was called offside by linesman. Var showed the ball was actually played by the German defender. A perfectly good goal that without Var world have been disallowed. That’s what it should be for offsides

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Seem to have hijacked the thread a little. Good, strong header.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Sorry if this has been established, but if things stay as they are, is second place being decided on fair play?

Yes, Senegal would be going out on Yellow cards as it stands

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here