Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

James Wilson loan watch articles - keen writer wanted

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Surely Sam is due a little 4 or 5 game goal scoring run, he certainly deserves it, starting tonight :)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Poor write up.

My personal opinion is Wilson will not make it although he has the pace, technical and overall talent there is a fundamental problem in there somewhere either with his general fitness or attitude - which is a shame as there is a good player in there.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I'm wondering if Wilson has had glandular fever at some time, my son had it a few years ago, and still suffers occasionally now

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The articles are written by me. This one probably wasn't my strongest if I'm honest, but I think the point stands. He's a talented kid, but we're not getting it out of him and we haven't really given him too much of a chance. We are to James Wilson what Norwich and Leicester were to Harry Kane, which is fine for the player and Man Utd, but not really brilliant for us. He's shown flashes, but he's not contributed as much as we'd like him to. He is on the outside looking in, on players who probably aren't as good as he is, or will be.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The articles are written by me. This one probably wasn't my strongest if I'm honest, but I think the point stands. He's a talented kid, but we're not getting it out of him and we haven't really given him too much of a chance. We are to James Wilson what Norwich and Leicester were to Harry Kane, which is fine for the player and Man Utd, but not really brilliant for us. He's shown flashes, but he's not contributed as much as we'd like him to. He is on the outside looking in, on players who probably aren't as good as he is, or will be.

His future potential has the square root of sod all to do with it. He's got to put in the kind of performances in games and in training to earn consistent minutes. As it is, a combination of illness and patchy form means that he is not getting the game time that he'd like.

Also, I think it's pretty unfair to say 'we haven't really given him too much of a chance'.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
His future potential has the square root of sod all to do with it. He's got to put in the kind of performances in games and in training to earn consistent minutes. As it is, a combination of illness and patchy form means that he is not getting the game time that he'd like.

Also, I think it's pretty unfair to say 'we haven't really given him too much of a chance'.

We haven't given him much of a chance. Other players have had extended runs in the team when not doing very much, but Wilson hasn't ever had a chance to get a run of games under his belt. Obviously, his fitness is questionable which I have mentioned as well, and if that's a bigger part of why he hasn't played very much then so be it. But on the face of it, he hasn't had too much of a chance to get a settled place in the team and to show us what he can do. We've seen flashes of real quality, and some movement which is a class above what we get from Hemed and Baldock, but we've not really seen enough of him.

Again - the point I'm making overall is that this loan spell is Kane's equivalent at Norwich and Leicester. He didn't get into their team at the time, but he would have gained from the experience. So Wilson isn't really adding too much to our squad at the moment, but in a few years time we'll be part of his development. He'll be a top quality player in a couple of years, despite not really doing very much for us.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Scored a couple of very good goals, thrown up on the pitch a few times, seems knackered after a few short runs, goes missing in games on regular occasions, if BZ, Hemed and Baldock were fit all the time he probably wouldn't make the bench.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
mmmm not given a chance. Houghton out!!!

Joking of course. Houghton brought Wilson in that was giving him the chance as obviously he rates him. He just aint looked strong enough or fit enough. So sure if he addresses these problems has a decent future.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The articles are written by me.
Jesus, I can't believe you've got the guts to admit it.
This one probably wasn't my strongest if I'm honest, but I think the point stands. He's a talented kid, but we're not getting it out of him
That was your point? Maybe someone's edited your report.
and we haven't really given him too much of a chance.
He does train with the team too, so Chris sees what he can do. He hasn't been playing well when he has come on recently.

He's shown flashes, but he's not contributed as much as we'd like him to. He is on the outside looking in, on players who probably aren't as good as he is, or will be.
That's incorrect. Yes there's a good chance he will be better than the players he's watching. He could even be better now if he was fit and giving his all. But we need results now, and he's not been as good.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Jesus, I can't believe you've got the guts to admit it.
That was your point? Maybe someone's edited your report.
He does train with the team too, so Chris sees what he can do. He hasn't been playing well when he has come on recently.

That's incorrect. Yes there's a good chance he will be better than the players he's watching. He could even be better now if he was fit and giving his all. But we need results now, and he's not been as good.

He's still outscored Baldock at a ratio of two to one (not including own goals hilariously credited to the attacking player's fresh air kick) with nowhere near the same amount of game time. Who knows what could have happened if he'd been given the game time. But I acknowledge that's theoretical, what has happened has happened and here we are 3rd in the league so it's not all doom and gloom. As I've said, maybe Wilson doesn't do enough in training - I wouldn't know that, nobody would know either way. We can only talk about what we see, which is what I'm doing. It's very easy to criticise and very easy to sit back and say nothing at all.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
One thing I would have mentioned is his half hearted closing down and chasing back. Most managers insist on defending as a team but Wilson goes through the motions and looks disinterested at times. Not good enough for a player looking to make a name for himself even if illness is a partial (convenient) excuse. Overall I enjoyed the article though, well written.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
He's still outscored Baldock at a ratio of two to one (not including own goals hilariously credited to the attacking player's fresh air kick) with nowhere near the same amount of game time. Who knows what could have happened if he'd been given the game time. But I acknowledge that's theoretical, what has happened has happened and here we are 3rd in the league so it's not all doom and gloom. As I've said, maybe Wilson doesn't do enough in training - I wouldn't know that, nobody would know either way. We can only talk about what we see, which is what I'm doing. It's very easy to criticise and very easy to sit back and say nothing at all.

Your criticism of Balfock could be forgiven if it's only his scoring record you are concentrating on. But he gives us more, another dynamic to our attacking play. He stretches the play and defenders around, we look so much more dangerous with Baldock in the side. Wilson may put away a chance more than Baldock but Wilson creates nothing for others, whereas Baldock is all about clever running and creating space. I think your criticism in the article was Ott, even if it was well written.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's still outscored Baldock at a ratio of two to one
Yep, Baldock is not a goal machine. Wilson, IMO, is a fantastic natural finisher. He's also got pace and skill. After his first couple of games for us I thought we'd finish top two if we kept him, and he was fit. But since being sick he's just not played well for us. His finish against Reading (I think) was fantastic, I don't think anyone else would have scored for us there. He hasn't suddenly lost his talent, but something hasn't been right.

It's very easy to criticise and very easy to sit back and say nothing at all.
No doubt to the annoyance of many, I'm not really one to sit back and say nothing. I don't have a talent for writing, so I wouldn't put myself forward to write articles, and it's great that you're having a go, but your analysis is wrong.

it’s impossible to feel like he hasn’t become a man on the outside of the squad looking in, waiting for a chance which isn’t going to come.
That's not true, he has had his chances. He's proved he's a great finisher, but he hasn't offered much else recently. Maybe he's sick? And he's been here longer than Knockeart, Skalak and Sidwell, so it's not like he's an outsider looking in.

Our manager, Chris Hughton, doesn’t like to make too many changes to the team and he won’t tinker with the team too much so when you’re one of four strikers and you’re third choice for a start, you’re not going to get too much of a chance unless one of the other two either pick up an injury or a catastrophic loss of form
Chris has changed the starting 11 plenty of times, and with 2 up front there's plenty of opportunity for Wilson. We've also had Bobby out for ages, and Baldock has missed a lot through injury too.

Tomer Hemed’s confidence has returned and he’s scored a few goals so his place is very secure and the other place is taken up by serial starting place stealer Sam Baldock. A striker so poor even Neil Warnock has never tried to sign him.
As I say, Baldock has missed games through injury, and as for his ability, the players certainly disagree with you, as does the manager, as do many fans. No, he doesn't score much, but we play better when he's in the team, and get more points.

Finally, his runs and movement are a class above. We haven’t ever tried to play to his strengths because we’re so much more practised excusing Baldock’s weaknesses that we forget about the pace, skill and class of James Wilson.
We play to the strengths of the whole team, and it's got us fighting for the top 2. I'm amazed you had the audacity to write that.

a good but not good enough winger in Jamie Murphy
Just wrong. No need to say more really.
and a punter extraordinaire in LuaLua (Lomana’s younger brother with half the talent)
The best player in the Championship at the start of the season, that got us off to the best start ever? Unfortunately, he's another of our walking wounded, and explosive wingers like that rarely bounce straight back, so we might not see much more from him.
but none of them have really found the key to unlocking Wilson’s class.
The job is to work for the team and create chances for all, not just concentrate on the sick kid.

For a team in the top 4, you might have expected us to have scored more goals and for Wilson to have scored a few more for himself but that’s not really the hallmark of a Chris Hughton team – other than the Newcastle team which steamrollered the Championship with Andy Carroll bullying defences all over the place and Steve Harper doing his best to not keep clean sheets. Norwich fans might have a thought or two about how attacking Chris Hughton is
Despite Wilson not playing as well as we'd hoped, we've scored more than Middlesbrough! We're clearly not playing the way Norwich used to, we're an attacking side who create a lot of chances now, far more than under our previous 3 managers.

if you’re a Manchester United fan then you should look past the disappointment of such a highly rated forward not being in the first team at a lower level and not scoring the goals he was expected to. Instead, look at a talented young forward learning what’s it like being the man on the outside looking in. What it’s like not playing games, sitting on the sidelines
Unless he ups his game he'll spend a lot more time on Utd's bench looking in, than he has on ours.

watching players with no shred of his talent (I’m looking at you again, Baldock)
Seriously :facepalm:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

There was no need for you to lay into Baldock in your article. His touch and unselfish movement have contributedly greatly in stretching defences this season. He has been very important to the style that Hughton has sought to play.

By my reckoning we actually average just over two points a game when he is in the side (approx 2.07) and less than 1.8 when he is not. It might seem a small difference, but had we sustained our points return with Baldock in the matches he hasn't played we would be 2 or 3 points clear of Middlesbrough after 41 games.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Thought Wilson was exceptional tonight, back to his best and posed a threat constantly.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Sign of a good article to create a debate. Well done Ninja Elephant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here