Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I've been here just over two years.

Whereabouts is your cousin's house? I live in St John's.

A few things to note about Newfoundland: Incredible coastal scenery, friendly and hospitable locals, lots of trees, long distances, lots of moose, and bad roads.

She has a place in Champneys West....basic fishing community from what I know.....was planning 3 weeks, hiring a suv... then just mooch about..maybe take a trip to NS for a few days, I have a friend there too.

How are the flights from say Boston...I want to use my Virgin miles, got 60k of the buggers, so will spend a few days there before heading north.

Thanks

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I think you need more DOF, or to focus on the 'round bit' (that's a technical term) it's too soft IMO.

Yes. I seem not to have the hang of getting everything in focus when I take close ups. I'm working on this, however, no change today - see forthcoming post.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Whilst some of you were at Reading I was at the Bluebell Railway taking pictures of steam locos. These are the best of a poor bunch, crowds of people as it was a Gala Day there. Did try and keep in touch with what was happening but unfortuntatly the 3G signal there is on the non existent side of poor most of the time. Will at the Amex on Saturday.

Attachments

• 31st October 2015 - Bluebell Railway Giants of Steam (5).JPG
    31st October 2015 - Bluebell Railway Giants of Steam (5).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 667
  • 31st October 2015 - Bluebell Railway Giants of Steam (4).JPG
    31st October 2015 - Bluebell Railway Giants of Steam (4).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 612

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My take on the "Old Crocks" today.

Attachments

• Lagonda NSC.jpg
    Lagonda NSC.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 307
  • Rear End Vintage Car NSC.jpg
    Rear End Vintage Car NSC.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 323
  • Vintage Car Chain NSC.jpg
    Vintage Car Chain NSC.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 321

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Work this one out!

Attachments

• Now & Then Brighton Sea Front NSC.jpg
    Now & Then Brighton Sea Front NSC.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 389

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes. I seem not to have the hang of getting everything in focus when I take close ups. I'm working on this, however, no change today - see forthcoming post.
Do you know the DOF guides/charts, that give you a good idea of what will be in focus for each focal length, distance and aperture? If everything can't be in focus, just make sure that the part our eye is draw to is in focus. On a face, that would be the eyes, and specifically the eye that's closest to camera (if it's the kind of shot where that make a difference). With the close up of the car number plate, the closest light is OOF while the furthest light is in focus. If you either can't have both in focus, or don't want to, then generally make the closest in focus.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Do you know the DOF guides/charts, that give you a good idea of what will be in focus for each focal length, distance and aperture? If everything can't be in focus, just make sure that the part our eye is draw to is in focus. On a face, that would be the eyes, and specifically the eye that's closest to camera (if it's the kind of shot where that make a difference). With the close up of the car number plate, the closest light is OOF while the furthest light is in focus. If you either can't have both in focus, or don't want to, then generally make the closest in focus.
Thanks Triggaaar. That's really helpful. That's exactly what I thought on the number plate shot, so I think I'm learning!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks Triggaaar.
You're welcome :)

Obviously the DOF is much shallower when close to your subject compared with your landscapes and you know how to fix that.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Primates! :D

IMG_5021-4.jpg

IMG_4927-6.jpg

IMG_4312-6.jpg

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
attachment.php

Glacial Lagoon in Iceland

I was there last month. You have got the blue ice, clear ice, white ice and sludge ice. Maybe more that I cannot spot. Excellent. We were there at noon on a blue sky, sunny day and didn't see anything like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here