General Photography thread

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Some corkers there Jevs. Shame about the Cercis. If it doesn't recover, we'll get another one. How's the Toona?

Doing well mate as is the Cercis....thought i'd give it a chance. Been a crazy week....had 13 in yesterday so my list of "to do" jobs is very short now.

Hope you're enjoying your hols....loving the swallowtail and hummingbird moth pics

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
This is a Sarce Swallowtail I believe? When they've just hatched, they have a tail on each wing approximately 3 cm long, but as they get older, they go. This one has only one tail left, but the photo doesn't show it?

Attachments

• Scarce Swallowtail 3 NSC.jpg
    Scarce Swallowtail 3 NSC.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 239

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Not sure then, it appears on my lap top, anyone else having problems?

Looks good to me. And it actually appears in JS's reply, saying he can't see it! :mad:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Lost in France!

I thought this would be a good one?

Attachments

• Sunflowers Lost 2 NSC.jpg
    Sunflowers Lost 2 NSC.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 193

Armchair

Mar 3, 2009
I dont know whether you fellow photographers have heard about this in the news but it could be a threat to our freedom to photograph buildings of interest in Europe. The following email I received from the RPS is self explanatory. I'm going to sign the petition.

"Dear UK and European Member:

Over the past few days you may have read or been emailed about the threat to ‘freedom or panorama’ which is included in a draft report being promoted by a Member of the European Parliament (MEP).

In the UK (and in some other countries) we enjoy the right to photograph buildings and sculptures ‘if permanently situated in a public place or in premises open to the public’ for our own enjoyment and even for commercial use. The MEP’s proposal is to adopt the model that operates in France and a number of other European countries which gives other creators e.g. architects and sculptors, protection against having their work being reproduced without payment. In those countries permission is required to photograph or exploit images containing those works. The more sensationalist press reports have suggested that the public’s holiday snaps might be threatened - the reality is that it would mostly affect groups such as travel book, postcard and poster publishers, in particular. Either way, it is a significant concern to The Society.

The MEP’s proposal is only for commercial use and it is a very long way from becoming law but The Society believes that the proposal should be dismissed before it gains any traction. If harmonisation is required then it should be along the UK model and not the other for which there has been no great demand for other than by a small number of vested interests. In the UK there is no demand to change the current position even from groups such as architects who might benefit.

The Society would encourage members to sign a change.org petition here to register your objection to the proposal. Almost 300,000 people across Europe have already signed. You may also wish to contact your own MEP to register your views.

The Society has been working with a number of other organisations over the past couple of weeks on this issue and the next key date is 9 July when there will be a vote in the European Parliament on the report.

There will be a blog posting about this issue on The Society’s website shortly. If you have any comments – for or against – please email me at: director@rps.org

Thank you for taking the time to read this email.

Regards

Dr Michael Pritchard FRPS
Director-General
The Royal Photographic Society
Direct line: +44 (0)1225 325730"

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
You've got to write to your MEP's Armchair, but be quick votes on the 9th I believe. I've already written to 6 of the South East MEP's. If it comes about I'm fu**ed

I dont know whether you fellow photographers have heard about this in the news but it could be a threat to our freedom to photograph buildings of interest in Europe. The following email I received from the RPS is self explanatory. I'm going to sign the petition.

"Dear UK and European Member:

Over the past few days you may have read or been emailed about the threat to ‘freedom or panorama’ which is included in a draft report being promoted by a Member of the European Parliament (MEP).

In the UK (and in some other countries) we enjoy the right to photograph buildings and sculptures ‘if permanently situated in a public place or in premises open to the public’ for our own enjoyment and even for commercial use. The MEP’s proposal is to adopt the model that operates in France and a number of other European countries which gives other creators e.g. architects and sculptors, protection against having their work being reproduced without payment. In those countries permission is required to photograph or exploit images containing those works. The more sensationalist press reports have suggested that the public’s holiday snaps might be threatened - the reality is that it would mostly affect groups such as travel book, postcard and poster publishers, in particular. Either way, it is a significant concern to The Society.

The MEP’s proposal is only for commercial use and it is a very long way from becoming law but The Society believes that the proposal should be dismissed before it gains any traction. If harmonisation is required then it should be along the UK model and not the other for which there has been no great demand for other than by a small number of vested interests. In the UK there is no demand to change the current position even from groups such as architects who might benefit.

The Society would encourage members to sign a change.org petition here to register your objection to the proposal. Almost 300,000 people across Europe have already signed. You may also wish to contact your own MEP to register your views.

The Society has been working with a number of other organisations over the past couple of weeks on this issue and the next key date is 9 July when there will be a vote in the European Parliament on the report.

There will be a blog posting about this issue on The Society’s website shortly. If you have any comments – for or against – please email me at: director@rps.org

Thank you for taking the time to read this email.

Regards

Dr Michael Pritchard FRPS
Director-General
The Royal Photographic Society
Direct line: +44 (0)1225 325730"

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
What's your favourite / most used lens chaps

Mine's gotta be my canon 24-105mm F4, use it almost every day

Last edited:

Armchair

Mar 3, 2009
You and a great many others Shingle! It sounds like its a way off being operational but best nipped in the bud. I'll write to the MEPs. Thanks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here