Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40 years ago today: Albion 1 Derby 1 (att. 33500)

The huge crowd that turned out for this 4th Round tie that night did so in hopeful expectation of a third giant-killing, as top flight WBA and Ipswich had aready been dispatched. This run captured the imagination of Sussex and most of us thought we could actually win this trophy; after all, the feat had been acheived by Third Division clubs no less than twice in the previous ten years. I think the police might have had a clampdown on touts because as I walked up Goldstone Lane, I observed officers offering tickets to children. I was unable to take up my usual place on the North Stand because it was so crammed, and ended up on the terrace in front of the West Stand, although views were difficult even there.
I can't find the thread from a few years back listing the top ten attendances in GG history but I don't think it was since bettered. I'm sure somebody will put a link to it on here.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Was there that night. Remember Charlie George nearly scoring right from the start only for Ward to go down the other end and actually do it. Great night (as was the Ipswich game). People need to remember that Derby had been league champions only 18 months previously!

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
I was there & the replay.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I think this was about my second game. I remember seeing Charlie George who had a bit of a cult following at the time. I was a young kid who was a Chelsea supporter and had just moved to Brighton from Bognor the previous year. I was taken to the first few games by a family of Brighton supporters. To start with I supported both Brighton and Chelsea. Peter Ward won me over. By 1978 I was Brighton through and through.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Remember that game so well, when Ward scored, I ended up at the bottom of the north stand, after being at the back, and stayed there, as could not get back! Happy days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el punal

The huge crowd that turned out for this 4th Round tie that night did so in hopeful expectation of a third giant-killing, as top flight WBA and Ipswich had aready been dispatched. This run captured the imagination of Sussex and most of us thought we could actually win this trophy; after all, the feat had been acheived by Third Division clubs no less than twice in the previous ten years. I think the police might have had a clampdown on touts because as I walked up Goldstone Lane, I observed officers offering tickets to children. I was unable to take up my usual place on the North Stand because it was so crammed, and ended up on the terrace in front of the West Stand, although views were difficult even there.
I can't find the thread from a few years back listing the top ten attendances in GG history but I don't think it was since bettered. I'm sure somebody will put a link to it on here.

I woz there. No, I don't think anyone seriously thought that we would go on and win it - just wishful thinking. Great cup run though!

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
I remember it well. The only game I watched from the South Stand, presumably couldn't get into the North, as I always stood there!

I was at college in London doing an apprenticeship and had to bunk off to get the train. Happy days.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Nothing much has changed with the refs. since then, Charlie George, England International, got booked early on and within mins, did an even worst foul but hey it's 1st Div. v 3rd Div. so it's no sending off. Great night and a fantastic following at the replay.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
40 years ago? That makes me feel old.

I was in the East Terrace (Chicken Run) for that one. If I recall correctly, we had to go and see a game against Charlton Reserves to get a ticket. £0.30 to get in and £1.00 for the ticket. 17.000+ for a reserve game. Now that's a BIG Club.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Nothing much has changed with the refs. since then, Charlie George, England International, got booked early on and within mins, did an even worst foul but hey it's 1st Div. v 3rd Div. so it's no sending off. Great night and a fantastic following at the replay.

The first season yellow cards were used!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Was there that night. Remember Charlie George nearly scoring right from the start only for Ward to go down the other end and actually do it. Great night (as was the Ipswich game). People need to remember that Derby had been league champions only 18 months previously!

Still say it was the greatest opening sixty seconds involving BHA, I have seen in 50 years. Our back-line pushed up from the kick-off and they split us with a through ball. Charlie George raced away, one on one with our keeper ( Grummit ? ), who spread himself and made a tremendous block. The ball broke clear and was worked upfield, through two or three passes to Wardy, who, I think, was near the edge of the box. He made space and rifled an unstoppable shot into the top corner.
Cue....bedlam....I have never heard noise like it....the crowd was still cheering from our keeper's save when Wardy's shot blitzed into the net. It made the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Leighton James equalised and the game went to and fro but we couldn't conjure up a winner.
It was one of those special Goldstone nights, full house, good game and very, very loud. Will never forget it.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
40 years ago? That makes me feel old.

I was in the East Terrace (Chicken Run) for that one. If I recall correctly, we had to go and see a game against Charlton Reserves to get a ticket. £0.30 to get in and £1.00 for the ticket. 17.000+ for a reserve game. Now that's a BIG Club.
Must be close to a big Birthday

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here