Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much money would the club have made from hosting the 2 Rugby World Cup games?...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What some folk may not be aware of is Japan's hosting of the 2019 Rugby World Cup. One of the reasons the match had so much coverage in Asia.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Brighton will be FLOODED with Japanese tourists in future......

apart from the hardcore rugby fans, I doubt many this win registered with many Japanese people.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Forget the money. As long as it didn't lose us money it doesn't matter.

Surely the best thing about the weekend (and Saturday especially) was the enormous technicolour globally televised fully animated middle finger to all those who tried to block us building a new stadium and to those who doubted we'd ever fill it.

The success of the stadium, the training ground and the successful RWC bid can have done us nothing but good. And who knows more events like this could lead to pressure for funding to improve the railway and transport links to cope with other big events, which would then benefit all of us who use the stadium.

Well said that man.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
There is likely to be a positive impact on non-match day hospitality. Football fans and local business folk are on the whole going to be aware of the facilities on offer. How many people who have travelled from slightly further afield will be looking afresh at hosting events at a rugby world cup venue ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There is likely to be a positive impact on non-match day hospitality. Football fans and local business folk are on the whole going to be aware of the facilities on offer. How many people who have travelled from slightly further afield will be looking afresh at hosting events at a rugby world cup venue ?
This is a great point.

Large Japanese companies in particular could be queueing up to host events at the Amex.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Not a penny.

I'd say the value is in enhancing the reputation of Brighton and the Amex. The more we are on the map as an elite stadium, city etc the better.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's not TB's job to put the city at the forefront of people's minds.
What's the point if your not going to make money from such things. Why would we get to charge a good fee for an international friendly if we can't charge it for a WC game, it makes no sense.

Factors we wouldn't have predicted when it was arranged.

Well, it is the Brighton 'Community' Stadium and I take that to mean that it should benefit all members of the community and not just Albion fans.

This means we have to see our city jewel as not just revolving around what local football fans want. Refreshing.

el punal

apart from the hardcore rugby fans, I doubt many this win registered with many Japanese people.

Maybe not. On the other hand with all the publicity and good will that emanated from that performance it could be a catalyst for bigger participation and interest.

A few years ago Dutch television were due to show a football match live. The game was cancelled at the last minute because of bad weather. So, as an emergency filler, they screened the World Darts Championship from Lakeside in dear, old Blighty. Holland was hooked, transfixed and everything else and took the game to their hearts.

Anything is possible.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I'm fairly certain that over and above the rental agreement with the RFU that host stadia were on a cut of the concessions takings too.

There was an article in the Telegraph ( http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...it-by-hidden-price-increases-at-stadiums.html) urging them to not raise prices of drinks and food too much just to cash in with this report claiming that takings could be in the region of £250k per match.

30,000 pints at £5 a pop equates to £150k per game and I'm sure that the average consumption per head will be something like 2 or 3 each.

The article mentioned an average spend per visitor of £9 which would equate to what my partner and I spent between us so who knows.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Face it - no-one's got a ****ing scooby how much the club received, if anything!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, it is the Brighton 'Community' Stadium and I take that to mean that it should benefit all members of the community and not just Albion fans.

This means we have to see our city jewel as not just revolving around what local football fans want. Refreshing.
It doesn't mean it has to be available for free.

So Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club Limited pay an anuual rent, but does that mean that any other entity hiring the facilities would hire them from the tennant, i.e. the football club, or the landlord, Tony's holding company. I would have thought the Football Club is a leasehold tenant and would receive the payment for any hiring of the facilities.

I think you're probably correct although the "landlord" is the Community Stadium Ltd not BHA Holdings Ltd.
In 2013/14 CSL posted a loss of £2.09 million largely down to £3 million+ charge for annual depreciation on the stadium etc; the company's income comprised £1 million in rent from the football club (BHAFC Ltd) and a £40,000 grant towards the build itself. This grant comprises a total of £2 million but is treated as deferred income over the period of useful life of the stadium (50 years).
In the football club accounts for the same period there is a line for "Other Income" amounting to £113k; I guess that's where any stadium/facility hire fees (eg for the Rod Stewart concert) are recorded.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Maybe not. On the other hand with all the publicity and good will that emanated from that performance it could be a catalyst for bigger participation and interest.

A few years ago Dutch television were due to show a football match live. The game was cancelled at the last minute because of bad weather. So, as an emergency filler, they screened the World Darts Championship from Lakeside in dear, old Blighty. Holland was hooked, transfixed and everything else and took the game to their hearts.

Anything is possible.

Holland W...?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Anything is possible.

Oh I don't doubt that, at least whilst they are doing well anyway.

Is that true about the Dutch and darts? Always wondered why it was popular there.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
BHAFC Ltd and TCS Ltd are both subsidiaries of Brighton and Hove Albion Holdings Ltd, Tony Bloom is the majority shareholder in the latter so effectively controls the entire shooting match.
I really don't know for sure how this impacts our FFP return, if at all; El Pres is probably the best qualified to comment if he's around today. Incidentally, the Lancing Training Ground is also owned by TCS Ltd and similarly rented to the football club.

Not to mention Albion Sports and Leisure Ltd, not sure where they fit in?
https://companycheck.co.uk/company/02369713/ALBION-SPORTS-AND-LEISURE-LIMITED/directors-secretaries

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here