Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

URGENT - Building work being undertaken without consent

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Name & shame the company

The woman from Trading Standards told me not to do that at this point.

Also, having thought more about it - the cheque might not have bounced, he might be saying it has done to get a replacement to be issued - treating this development very suspiciously now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Also, having thought more about it - the cheque might not have bounced, he might be saying it has done to get a replacement to be issued - treating this development very suspiciously now.

It's not possible for a cheque to bounce instantly is it?

And even if it has, it may be represented automatically anyway, so you have to wait for the bank to tell you, not the cowboy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

aye, thats a detail not mentioned before, you said you were scratching around for cash. it takes three days for a cheque to process.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The original cheque payment given to him has bounced, at this point I'm not sure why and I can't check that until my dad returns from work so now the guy is getting arsey about the money, as he hasn't been paid a penny for this job just yet. He kindly offered to drive me, my dad and my nan (who was fronting this payment) to the bank to rectify it - I laughed that off and told him to forget about any notion of him accompanying us anywhere.

if you had any lingering doubts about the dodginess of this bloke then that's the clincher. That's how my mate's elderly parents ended up getting fleeced for £20K. You need to put measures in place IMMEDIATELY to cap any payments going out of your parents bank account, or, better still, get yourself included as a mandatory co-signee for cheques over an agreed value. Else dodgy geezer will just come round and drive your parents to the bank when you're not there to keep an eye on things. You need to have an urgent word with the bank.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
if your dad has not given the guy permission to commence work upon his house i'm pretty sure the bloke has committed trespass and is now attempting to obtain money by foul means......this really is a no brainer mate...ring the coppers ,ring the council,i reckon your old man just got his house maintained for **** all...fact..!!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
If this guy is so dodgy, as you say, then why let him continue carrying out works?? Just tell them to leave and get rid...........then sort the money out after.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have left a few messages with a number of companies and sent a few emails about getting someone around today to view the quality of the work and give independent quotes, so I'm waiting to hear back.
Good job.

The original cheque payment given to him has bounced, at this point I'm not sure why and I can't check that until my dad returns from work so now the guy is getting arsey about the money, as he hasn't been paid a penny for this job just yet.
So what if he hasn't had a penny, the work's not been finished and he only just did it anyway. Ask for an invoice and see what the payment terms are, and if they're reasonable. Ask him to show you where your dad has signed to say payment would be immediate or before the work was finished. I doubt he had those so he can (to use a phrase I've never used) jog on.

I laughed that off and told him to forget about any notion of him accompanying us anywhere.
Good job.

A woman from Trading Standards has visited the house, she believes the company to be legit but his practices are clearly not.
I wouldn't read too much into her saying it was 'legit'. That might just mean 'it is real, it does exist'.

Indeed, let's wait and see first.

Indeed. When did you dad give it to him and why did it bounce? It's a bit quick if it did. And if it did, his bank would have returned it to him, so ask for it back and don't let him keep it (I've received a check which was stopped before, and when the stop was lifted I put it back in and it worked).

So, to recap:
1) What proof does he have for total figure, and when payment would be due?
2) If he doesn't have those, do not pay until you're happy with the work (probably includes proof of building regs etc), and do not pay more than the fair price for the work.
3) In fact, unless you're really confident about what you're doing, I'd say don't pay until you've posted all details on here and got further advice.

If the work is as it should be, I believe that you will be paying the guy, so in the very unlikely event that he's actually worried about getting fair payment, you can simply re-assure him: 'You do not need to worry, you will be paid for all satisfactory work, but you know what it's like with some of the dodgy builders about preying on old people, so we have to be careful' etc.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Some sensible suggestions after my flippant last post:
- contact the building control officer and get him/her to inspect the work

- ask for an invoice. It should have VAT added. If it doesn't, they are avoiding tax and are acting criminally.

- don't pay cash as you are not protected in the event they do a runner.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

- ask for an invoice. It should have VAT added. If it doesn't, they are avoiding tax and are acting criminally.

You only need to be VAT registered if your turnover exceeds £82k per annum.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Please get your facts straight, I run a small plumbing business and I'm not VAT registered, I have been trading for 13 years and I'm legit.
As [MENTION=12090]Programme_Seller[/MENTION] states is the correct fact.
Any of my customers can have an invoice if they pay me in cash, by cheque or BACS.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here