Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The seafront Nightclubs...

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
All that said, Audio was quality on Saturday night, absolutely rammed and James Zabelia smashed it :thumbsup:

I can safely say that was one of the best night's I've has out in Brighton. The atmosphere was unbelievable and the songs James was rolling out went off! Charles Green was very decent before James came on too.

Audio is pretty much the only club I frequent these days, it attracts good house/garage produces and doesn't play the same generic crap the rest do (Pryzm, shoosh, coalition etc). You also don't get the same wankers in those said clubs, the one's who think it's cool to wear a scarf in a club and pose with a bottle of grey goose. No thanks.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Coasters was a great place for late teens/early20's to get into clubbing, dance and dance music at the time. Played a lot of music I doubt hardly anywhere else in the UK played. Great days.

Top Rank Suite was OK, but you had to be very drunk to endure Phil Leppard's naff mainstream music.

the Suite was NOT for music, it was solely to provide a European meeting place for 20 year old local lads & 18 year old Scandinavian stunnas.
Must remember to thank Phil next time I see him in WSL

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It really is a shame but seems to be indicative of the wider scene in this country.

I mentioned in another thread that Club 24, the club in the old church at the bottom of Dyke Road, has just closed only a month or so after its relaunch as the home of underground dance in Brighton. With the H Bar shutting down last year it seems like we genuine clubbing fans who enjoy the music and the scene have only Audio and the occasional night at Concorde left.

I actually went to a breaks night at Concorde a couple of months ago and the place was disappointingly quiet for a Saturday night.

I just wonder whether the generation that threw themselves head first into the clubbing world are all getting older and going out less whilst the youngsters don't seem to be keen on following the same path.

Certainly I don't go out anywhere near as much as I used to now I'm sadly in my 30s. There was a time I'd head to London and do Fabric, Turnmills or the End on a Friday night, come back Saturday morning and then head out somewhere in town like the Ocean Rooms or Zap that night. Those days are long gone now and there's no way my body could cope, however I do still appreciate a good night on it now and again but the choices we're now presented with are ever so limited. For a city that was once proud to be second only to London for its dance music scene, it's all rather bleak now.

However, as has already been mentioned, with the End and Turnmills shutting their doors it seems like it's not just a Brighton problem. Presumably the demand for serious clubs isn't as great as once it was.

We're lucky to still have Fabric and I hope that place never dies. I spent more time there in my 20s than I did in my own bed.

What other serious clubs does London still boast? I think the Egg is still going, right? How about the rest of the clubs around Kings Cross like Key and the Cross? Obviously MoS is still hanging on but I've never been that big a fan. Too much of a place to be seen.

Did Fabric's sister club in the O2 close down? Code I think it was called. Never went. Seemed a bit of a mission to get to.

I remember going to Fire actually, which is in Vauxhall if I recall correctly. Jumped in a cab around 7am on a Sunday morning as Fabric was turfing out and ended up there carrying on the party with some serious old skool house belters. I seem to remember it was a bit tatty and run down. Which reminds me of the Scala actually! Is that place still going? And how about Mass in Brixton?

So many questions! But I do genuinely despair for the youth of today. What are they all into if it isn't getting sweaty, messed up and ravey?

n0-sIs

Banned
Jul 1, 2014
Brighton seafront was ace about 10-20 years ago.....but now the majority of people who can afford to go out to nightclubs are middle class mainstream types - hence the clubs are now reflecting that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
the Suite was NOT for music, it was solely to provide a European meeting place for 20 year old local lads & 18 year old Scandinavian stunnas.
Must remember to thank Phil next time I see him in WSL

Top Rank - 'Scandies' on some weekday nights, more so in Spring/Summer then. Anglo-Saxons at weekends. Brighton girls couldn't stand the 'Scandies' (jealous).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Brighton has been shit for over 5 years. Ket killed the Honey Club, and not moving with the times. Digital has very rarely had any line up worth bothering with. Brighton just hasn't seem to have got it for years which is a shame. I go out to London about once a month still, can have a top night, stay out till 5-7am - even 10am in some places and have a cracking night.

MOS still my fave club, perfect size, good line ups, friendly staff & door staff.

Audio is all that draws me in Brighton, but still not consistent enough and a bit small for me

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Without quoting all of [MENTION=15906]Colossal Squid[/MENTION] 's post, I'd say that's pretty much the same as my situation. [MENTION=19107]wakeytom[/MENTION] looks like he's in a similar boat as well as probably a few others. Now in my early 30s and as much as I still love it I can't justify doing what I used to do.

I'm out once or twice (in summer) a month now rather than twice a weekend and when you're doing that you have to pick and choose your nights. I tend to go DJ chasing a bit and generally do the bigger nights and as [MENTION=15906]Colossal Squid[/MENTION] said it's the local nights at the Zap, Honey, Ocean Rooms, Concorde, Volks that missed out on my money.
I think you're spot on when you say the youth of today just aren't into it as much, nobody has stepped in to take our place in the same kind of numbers.
It seems like it's youth culture in general so it might not even be just the club scene, where are all the bands these days and when was the last time an album went massive? Are there still as many up and coming bands playing in Brighton these days?

I do wonder if social media and reality TV has alot to answer for in all this. Have we just produced the most generically boring group of teenagers who are now 18-21, an age when they should be experimenting and developing their own style and tastes, but have only managed to copy what they've seen on towie or copy what their mates are doing on facebook (who copied that off of towie)
Is that why all these awful clubs like shoosh are springing up, because people want to go to clone of the pissing suga hut :facepalm: What a sad horrible pissing waste :angry:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Without quoting all of [MENTION=15906]Colossal Squid[/MENTION] 's post, I'd say that's pretty much the same as my situation. [MENTION=19107]wakeytom[/MENTION] looks like he's in a similar boat as well as probably a few others. Now in my early 30s and as much as I still love it I can't justify doing what I used to do.

I'm out once or twice (in summer) a month now rather than twice a weekend and when you're doing that you have to pick and choose your nights. I tend to go DJ chasing a bit and generally do the bigger nights and as [MENTION=15906]Colossal Squid[/MENTION] said it's the local nights at the Zap, Honey, Ocean Rooms, Concorde, Volks that missed out on my money.
I think you're spot on when you say the youth of today just aren't into it as much, nobody has stepped in to take our place in the same kind of numbers.
It seems like it's youth culture in general so it might not even be just the club scene, where are all the bands these days and when was the last time an album went massive? Are there still as many up and coming bands playing in Brighton these days?

I do wonder if social media and reality TV has alot to answer for in all this. Have we just produced the most generically boring group of teenagers who are now 18-21, an age when they should be experimenting and developing their own style and tastes, but have only managed to copy what they've seen on towie or copy what their mates are doing on facebook (who copied that off of towie)
Is that why all these awful clubs like shoosh are springing up, because people want to go to clone of the pissing suga hut :facepalm: What a sad horrible pissing waste :angry:

The youngsters of today are very much into music IMHO, but more live gigs and hanging around in pubs as opposed to the club nights described in this thread. I don't think they're boring; just doing different stuff to what we did.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And I still enjoy a good full-on club night but only on occasion, once every 3 months or so, and I can forget about the day after and I don't fully get over it until midway through the week. Sad but true. Live music is more my thing these days and I average a gig a week and a half over the year I reckon.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The youngsters of today are very much into music IMHO, but more live gigs and hanging around in pubs as opposed to the club nights described in this thread. I don't think they're boring; just doing different stuff to what we did.

Are you including Brighton in that or are you out in London and Berlin mostly? As I think the big cultural centres will always have enough going on to cater for everyone.

I know I'm generalising about the younger generation but I just don't think anything is on the same scale as it used to be.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

Fully agree with this myself. Music has moved on and the music I love when I go out is not been made in the same way anymore, maybe that is part of it as well, DnB now can be made on very sophisticated technology and the scene in most places is producing for the masses that will end in the charts, there is still a form of Underground and rather than DJ chasing I find it now more about the labels, Metalheadz will generally still only bring out the dark underground stuff which is what I have liked since I can recall (around 95) in line with what RAM did and no longer appears to do!

I too take a long time to recover and really only get a chance every couple of months, gone are the days of London on a Friday, go to back to back raves and end up somehow on my way home on a Sunday afternoon so now it is all about picking the right nights.

Up until Saturday night I had a feeling the DnB scene was starting to die again which I think is down to the pop aspect many labels are now chasing, but as always Goldie et all reminded me of what I love, and as I sat with a group of newly made friends at 6am in a park waiting for the first train I smiled and thought the feeling once more, at least for me is there

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
As someone who went clubbing in london the thing I always heard was that in Brighton people were to lazy/laid back expecting things to happen and were just into smoking weed.

What ive read of this thread seems to ring true a bit.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
but as always Goldie et all reminded me of what I love, and as I sat with a group of newly made friends at 6am in a park waiting for the first train I smiled and thought the feeling once more, at least for me is there

Quality, those moments really are what it's all about (and the music obviously)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here