Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do the kids get loyalty points

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I really think it will.

I'm not a "ground collector" but it is nice to go to a place that we've not been to before, such as The Emirates on Sunday.

I'm glad I went, and it was a good day out. However I'm not sure if I'd go next year, should we still be in the Premier League unless it was a late season game with something riding on it. I think it was [MENTION=72]dwayne[/MENTION] who said he can understand why some Premier League mid-table sides do not sell out for some of the "big" away days any more.

Agreed. This is what happened in 79-83 - as mentioned in previous threads. Not helped by Thatcher's recession mind, I recall around 100 of us at Everton in 82.

I predict Huddersfield away in December will not sell out, so if you're one of those who wants to go away but has few points then stick that in your diary.

PG

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I really think it will.

I'm not a "ground collector" but it is nice to go to a place that we've not been to before, such as The Emirates on Sunday.

I'm glad I went, and it was a good day out. However I'm not sure if I'd go next year, should we still be in the Premier League unless it was a late season game with something riding on it. I think it was [MENTION=72]dwayne[/MENTION] who said he can understand why some Premier League mid-table sides do not sell out for some of the "big" away days any more.

Years ago I got Corporate in a box at the Emirates. It was directly above the join of the home and away fans which happened to be a derby against Spurs. For the first 15 minutes or so, it was quite a good atmosphere but it soon dropped off and petered out (I think Arsenal won easily) I was pretty shocked with the antipathy given this was a local derby and whilst enjoyed the day I have no rush to go back there - I can imagine how bad it all was against a team they expect to beat. I'm sure London games will always be popular but the current level of interest will drop off. Watching us get beat 2,3,4-0 in a library soon gets dull.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We had a kid in front of us who was actually leading some of the singing on Sunday. "Give me a B..."

My son (10) was there on Sunday with me & a mate. He didn't try & start that one but he was joining in very enthusiastically with every chant (except the ones with naughty words in, bless him).

Luckily we went with someone who works for a very loyal club sponsor and can sometimes get their allocation, else it would have been telly or home end (and I wouldn't trust my son in the home end :lolol: ).

We'd already had a problem with the Boro game where me & my mate had easily enough points but the kids didn't and the gap between adults & kids has widened since. Now we've had to do a game on corporate tickets and not get the points.

I think the system is fair as it can be. I certainly couldn't devise and defend a better one. But it does have two large deficiencies, the harvesting a la Bournemouth (hopefully now dealt with) and the exclusion/ splitting up of families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldn't necessarily be against U18s from Tier 2 being able to get a ticket with a Tier 1 Adult if linked through friends and family. Tier 3 with Tier 2 and so on.

My son (10) was there on Sunday with me & a mate. He didn't try & start that one but he was joining in very enthusiastically with every chant (except the ones with naughty words in, bless him).

Luckily we went with someone who works for a very loyal club sponsor and can sometimes get their allocation, else it would have been telly or home end (and I wouldn't trust my son in the home end :lolol: ).

We'd already had a problem with the Boro game where me & my mate had easily enough points but the kids didn't and the gap between adults & kids has widened since. Now we've had to do a game on corporate tickets and not get the points.

I think the system is fair as it can be. I certainly couldn't devise and defend a better one. But it does have two large deficiencies, the harvesting a la Bournemouth (hopefully now dealt with) and the exclusion/ splitting up of families.

Good on your son GB. These boys will never support another team now. (I remember as a kid not singing the "bad words" when with a grown up :) )

I agree with Turkey. I wouldn't have a problem with kids being elevated a tier to be with their family. Let's face it, there wouldn't be many.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
As I said right from the start the new scheme makes it is a closed shop to the top two tiers. There is no chance of a third tier or lower closing the gap. Yes they might get lucky on some of the less popular games, but these are few and far between and crtainly less than half of the games so the gap will just get wider and wider. I'm the top tier but I still think this is unfair.

I'd be happy to see 10% of each away allocation held back to be sold to all season ticket holders. At least then the really keen ones will have a crack at getting a ticket each time.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
As I said right from the start the new scheme makes it is a closed shop to the top two tiers. There is no chance of a third tier or lower closing the gap. Yes they might get lucky on some of the less popular games, but these are few and far between and crtainly less than half of the games so the gap will just get wider and wider. I'm the top tier but I still think this is unfair.

I'd be happy to see 10% of each away allocation held back to be sold to all season ticket holders. At least then the really keen ones will have a crack at getting a ticket each time.

I have to agree, I think the sceme is fair, however I would like to see others still have a chance this season to get to games, this would still need to be checked as I imagine their would still be some ******** touts out there.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good on your son GB. These boys will never support another team now. (I remember as a kid not singing the "bad words" when with a grown up :) )

I agree with Turkey. I wouldn't have a problem with kids being elevated a tier to be with their family. Let's face it, there wouldn't be many.

I digress, and cross over with the Bell Cheeses at Work thread, but I was discussing the day with my Arsenal supporting boss in the office kitchen when the HR Manager walked in.

Her: Do they have an away family stand then?
Me: No, we were all in together.
Her: But weren't there a few fans saying naughty words at times?
Me: No there were 3000 of them singing them for half the match.

I've got nothing to lose, she's leaving next week.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
I have to agree, I think the sceme is fair, however I would like to see others still have a chance this season to get to games, this would still need to be checked as I imagine their would still be some ******** touts out there.

Which is why I suggested restricting it to STH's only. You could go further and say you have to have 100+ points maybe?

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sadly, this is how it works in the PL. I'm sure people used to say that no one ever dies at Old Trafford. The ST's are just held on to as friends/family will use them. Not sure if that is still the case?

For every club? I'm not sure given some clubs don't sell out.

That aside, there's currently plenty of opportunities for tier 2 people to break into the top. And over the course of the next 5 or 6 years I'm sure there will be opportunities for those further down to get into the top 1 or 2 tiers as well. I say 5-6 years as it has taken top tier people this long, with a good number of away games, to get to where they currently are.

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
Pro-tip: do what they do in Liverpool and Manchester.

Name your kids after their great grand-dad;grand ma. If you haven't done this, change your kids name by deed poll.

As long as the great grandparents had season tickets and attended some away matches, by the time your kids are old emough to go to matches, you should be able to get ticekets.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Name your kids after their great grand-dad;grand ma. If you haven't done this, change your kids name by deed poll.

As long as the great grandparents had season tickets and attended some away matches, by the time your kids are old emough to go to matches, you should be able to get ticekets.

Could be awkward when PB's special inspectors are on the gate and an obvious 20-something is stopped using a pensioner's concessionary ticket from a 117 year old STH.......................

el punal

My grandson, who is nine, can't wait to go to his first Albion away game. He has been to numerous home matches over the last three seasons, courtesy of my wife's season ticket (will the club boil me in oil for that?), but the most suitable away fixture has always eluded him - i.e. a weekend fixture which does not involve a huge amount of travelling and a reasonably friendly atmosphere to bed him in for his away experience.

The fixture at Arsenal would have ticked all the boxes - unfortunately, no tickets available. So I'm now set on trying one of the less "attractive" away days at one of the following, Stoke, West Brom, Burnley or Huddersfield. I could have said Crystal Palace, as he lives in Croydon (!) but really I'm mindful of his mental health for the foreseeable future. :wink:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Which is why I suggested restricting it to STH's only. You could go further and say you have to have 100+ points maybe?

The problem doesn't start with away games though - if we do remain in the PL for a few seasons then how are the kids who aren't STHs at the moment ever going to get one?

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
The problem doesn't start with away games though - if we do remain in the PL for a few seasons then how are the kids who aren't STHs at the moment ever going to get one?
Exactly. How are we going to get our very new supporters on the rung. They are our life's blood (after missing a generation or more at Gillingham and Withdean) and we should somehow bend the rules to encourage our future Albionites .... there needs to be more lateral thinking.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

So you think someone who may have had a season ticket for only one season having jumped on the bandwagon following our near miss in Middlesborough, should have the chance of getting an away ticket at Arsenal ahead of someone who has followed the club for years and travelled away many times.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Exactly. How are we going to get our very new supporters on the rung. They are our life's blood (after missing a generation or more at Gillingham and Withdean) and we should somehow bend the rules to encourage our future Albionites .... there needs to be more lateral thinking.

We are right at the starting points of growing a massive support which will build us to a level higher than we ever could have imagined. Could us old geezers give back some loyalty points to the kids... somehow... I know not how but this is the crux of us building a bigger, more secure club.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
So you think someone who may have had a season ticket for only one season having jumped on the bandwagon following our near miss in Middlesborough, should have the chance of getting an away ticket at Arsenal ahead of someone who has followed the club for years and travelled away many times.

But, what if that 'new' STH is an 8 year old lad that is desperate to go to away games with his dad who has, "followed the club for years and travelled away many times", do we really want to make this an impossible dream?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
But, what if that 'new' STH is an 8 year old lad that is desperate to go to away games with his dad who has, "followed the club for years and travelled away many times", do we really want to make this an impossible dream?

I think for the time being - it may well be an impossible dream. But if we stay in the PL for a while then this may change very quickly.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Or change your name to Bobby Zamora and get comps for the rest of your life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here