Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our complete list of transfer targets

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If we had all our ducks in a row then we'd have secured players as soon as the window was open. That's all I'm asserting to here.

Your assertion is wrong. Let me share a "fictitious scenario". We track a player for a year. We agree a deal with Club and player. We get the player, yes? Not in this case. Whilst everyone agrees, the club will not release their player at the agreed price until they have got a replacement. Oddly, that replacement is proving hard to acquire. Can you guess why? And so it goes on. Have a think about Christian Walton for example - this could be him.

It gets worse. Whilst you're waiting for the current club to secure a suitable replacement, the agent begins to sound out a few other clubs. After all, he's got time on his hands and who's to know, right? He speaks to another club and agrees a better deal for his player and the club. He might tell the original club right away - but I can think of reasons why he'd rather have two fish on the hook so to speak.

Or, the deals about to be done and the agent chances his arm and wants better terms right at the last minute. What are you going to do as the buying club? Soak it up or stand your ground. Would you change your mind if it was a massive hike and the agent claimed to have an alternative in the wings?

This is a really, really simplified explanation of some of the issues. It's a little like a chain when you're selling/buying a house. It explains why the deadline day is often a shit show and how clubs miss out on what they thought were locked down deals. It's why sometimes the very best players move late - they are leveraging this because they are top of the chain.

It's sort of like a weird shop, but don't think of it like a normal shop. It is a shop but not all the stock is out at the start. Often, a player needs to move on before another can be made available "on the shelves".

NorthStanding

May 15, 2016
Good old Sussex by the sea
Fair play to Huddersfield, they've got their business done early, but probably paid over the odds for their players from abroad. It's looking like we're just filling gaps in our squad at the moment, rather than any stars. Don't expect any big names, most of the permanent signings will be from European leagues, but should be pre-season..the European tour should take in a couple of signings, that's why it's gone quiet

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
No, it was not aimed at Udders but the presence of a PL premium tax is established, and inevitably that tax will be greater early on. Applied less to U.K. based players, but we seem to be fishing in European waters.

Sure, we contacted Gross, perhaps we wanted to sign him a year ago then things became difficult, but you can't be seriously suggesting that is possible for everyone we want, for a start we didn't know a year ago if DS would be here. You have to respond to events, you can't dictate. Repeat, practically, you cannot have 'all ducks in a row'.

The only assertion I make is that we have a list, we approach player/club and are rebuffed. A negotiation ensues and we appear from the outside to let such things drag on and on. In the case of Delaney and Haraguchi it's confirmed that this was the case and yet neither case gets over the line.

This is where [MENTION=29642]Couldn't Be Hyypia[/MENTION] comes in...

Your assertion is wrong. Let me share a "fictitious scenario". We track a player for a year. We agree a deal with Club and player. We get the player, yes? Not in this case. Whilst everyone agrees, the club will not release their player at the agreed price until they have got a replacement. Oddly, that replacement is proving hard to acquire. Can you guess why? And so it goes on. Have a think about Christian Walton for example - this could be him.

It gets worse. Whilst you're waiting for the current club to secure a suitable replacement, the agent begins to sound out a few other clubs. After all, he's got time on his hands and who's to know, right? He speaks to another club and agrees a better deal for his player and the club. He might tell the original club right away - but I can think of reasons why he'd rather have two fish on the hook so to speak.

Or, the deals about to be done and the agent chances his arm and wants better terms right at the last minute. What are you going to do as the buying club? Soak it up or stand your ground. Would you change your mind if it was a massive hike and the agent claimed to have an alternative in the wings?

This is a really, really simplified explanation of some of the issues. It's a little like a chain when you're selling/buying a house. It explains why the deadline day is often a shit show and how clubs miss out on what they thought were locked down deals. It's why sometimes the very best players move late - they are leveraging this because they are top of the chain.

It's sort of like a weird shop, but don't think of it like a normal shop. It is a shop but not all the stock is out at the start. Often, a player needs to move on before another can be made available "on the shelves".

So the reason I talk of ducks in a row and therefore near completion of deals is because of things like this:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12038766/how-transfer-works

I'm not a fan of the cartoon explanation but for those bothered to click through it all Damian Comoli basically says for a deal not to work once a bid is tabled the buying club have probably screwed something up or changed their offer to either the player.

Whilst the house buying analogy is sound and the ability to compete conditional on other transactions I find it highly unlikely that all the deals we entered into were like this. For example the Ryan deal appears to have allowed Valencia to move on a Juventus keeper but didn't hold up our deal in the process.

Given that we conduct as much as possible out of the public eye it's hard to say for certain but if we're not being competitive it's likely that we can't or won't agree to personal terms for a player.

Sure it's complex and there are many many facets of each and every deal but it does astound that year after year other clubs appear to move more decisively.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
The Huddersfield fans and those envious of their business on here will of course be the first ones to point out they should have signed x or y or z instead when they're bottom of the table with 6 points in November.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
The Huddersfield fans and those envious of their business on here will of course be the first ones to point out they should have signed x or y or z instead when they're bottom of the table with 6 points in November.

Is that what your crystal ball say's or your opinion, my prediction has them six points ahead of us at that point. Their team of loan players gave us a bit of a football lesson back in February.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Is that what your crystal ball say's or your opinion, only my crystal ball has them six points ahead of us. Their team of loan players gave us a bit of a football lesson back in February.

In the points for transfer sales league ?
Is it 3 points for a striker, 1 point for a loan ?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
No, it was not aimed at Udders but the presence of a PL premium tax is established, and inevitably that tax will be greater early on. Applied less to U.K. based players, but we seem to be fishing in European waters.

I was (late to the party I know) genuinely shocked to read *one* of the reasons the Abrahams' deal floundered, was the "a million quid signing fee for him, his agent and family" clause. So yes, if dealing with English players is that kind of thinking, for a sodding LOAN deal let's not forget, then let's fill our team full of Germans and Australians and Croats, players who are aching to prove themselves.

For my part, if that takes it bit longer, mightn't it be time well spent?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
If you look at their opening fixtures they have a good chance of picking 5/6 points up in their 3 opening games. Not sure we will achieve the same and a winning start can give you confidence.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Is that what your crystal ball say's or your opinion, my prediction has them six points ahead of us at that point. Their team of loan players gave us a bit of a football lesson back in February.

Yes, when we were going through our real blip of the season and were without a number of players (crucially including Stephens). One game does not decide a season. 46 do and in those 46 games we were 13 points ahead of them.

And to make a prediction like that when we don't know who we are going to sign is ridiculous

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Yes, when we were going through our real blip of the season and were without a number of players (crucially including Stephens). One game does not decide a season. 46 do and in those 46 games we were 13 points ahead of them.

And to make a prediction like that when we don't know who we are going to sign is ridiculous

Do you mean the 6 points at the bottom by November prediction, I agree.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
If you look at their opening fixtures they have a good chance of picking 5/6 points up in their 3 opening games. Not sure we will achieve the same and a winning start can give you confidence.

I'm wondering what result NSC would prefer for the season opener Palace v Huddersfield?

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham

You know what I think the squad they currently have is better than ours particularly if they add the rumoured defender today. Whether that will be good enough who knows but as it stands neither is ours. This will of course change if we start completing on some of our targets.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Any chance of one of your great summaries soon ? Or are you hoping for a couple of signings soon to simplify it ?

:albion2:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm wondering what result NSC would prefer for the season opener Palace v Huddersfield?

Oh, that's easy: a draw. It means that, collectively, they get two points rather than three, setting them both on course for relegation, and leaving us needing to finish above just one more club to retain our PL place for the 2018/19 season.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here