Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petrol station on B2117 that became a restaurant

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I used to play darts for the Cricks........just before your time though I think

Think it was a pub when we first moved here (1991), don't ever remember it as a garage. Had a scoot around on the web, amazed there don't seem to be any references to it

I go back to the 50s, seeing as I was born in 48.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I lived in Hurstpierpoint from about 1983 onwards, & I only remember it as the (Shaves Thatch) restaurant (or pub??) prior to becoming the Ginger Fox. Don't recall the petrol station at all!

Mind you, it's amazing how many old pubs and shops have closed. As I drove through Hurstpierpoint & Hassocks recently, it occurred to me that I could remember at least three places that used to be corner shops or sweet shops when I was a kid (bottom of Cuckfield Road, one opposite the church, and one in London Road, Hassocks, just up from the Friars Oak). All are now houses & you'd never know there was ever a shop there. All you get is Co-ops. Everywhere a Co-op. The Pierpoint pub is now houses, as are the old Kings Head and Junction pubs in Burgess Hill. Well: the Junction is now a Co-op too, one of about five in Burgess Hill...

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I remember it as a National Garage. They used to have a promotion where you could collect figurines of The Smurfs.

View attachment 83354

I used to go there and buy smurfs too! I lived in Henfield and used to peddle up there on my bike to buy them...must have had 50 or more in the end! It was the National garage. Not been back that way for years but keep meaning to now it's the Ginger Fox.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I lived in Hurstpierpoint from about 1983 onwards, & I only remember it as the (Shaves Thatch) restaurant (or pub??) prior to becoming the Ginger Fox. Don't recall the petrol station at all!

Mind you, it's amazing how many old pubs and shops have closed. As I drove through Hurstpierpoint & Hassocks recently, it occurred to me that I could remember at least three places that used to be corner shops or sweet shops when I was a kid (bottom of Cuckfield Road, one opposite the church, and one in London Road, Hassocks, just up from the Friars Oak). All are now houses & you'd never know there was ever a shop there. All you get is Co-ops. Everywhere a Co-op. The Pierpoint pub is now houses, as are the old Kings Head and Junction pubs in Burgess Hill. Well: the Junction is now a Co-op too, one of about five in Burgess Hill...
Ahhhh, that brought back some memories, I spent the first 19 years of my life in Hurstpierpoint, the newsagent opposite the church was originally called so thing like Maughtfords, it then changed to NSS newsagents where I had my paper round and a Saturday morning job.
My Uncle Tony was a regular at the Pierpoint pub and I was allowed in at 10 years old (1983) as long as I sat in the corner and behaved. If the pub was really quiet I was sometimes allowed to play pool!
A far cry from the food serving family pubs of today.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
Ahhhh, that brought back some memories, I spent the first 19 years of my life in Hurstpierpoint, the newsagent opposite the church was originally called so thing like Maughtfords, it then changed to NSS newsagents where I had my paper round and a Saturday morning job.
My Uncle Tony was a regular at the Pierpoint pub and I was allowed in at 10 years old (1983) as long as I sat in the corner and behaved. If the pub was really quiet I was sometimes allowed to play pool!
A far cry from the food serving family pubs of today.

The newsagents near the church was called Maynards (at least that's what my memory is telling me). Hilton House - which is where the UK Cook Shop is - was formerly Hilton Electronics, run by Vic Hilton. IIRC, Vic had some involvement with the live audio for The Nolan Sisters.

My Dad's business was located in Hurstpierpoint from the early 1960s to the mid 1990s. I consequently spent a lot of my childhood there, hence why I can remember random facts about long-closed garages, confectioners and retailers.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The newsagents near the church was called Maynards (at least that's what my memory is telling me). Hilton House - which is where the UK Cook Shop is - was formerly Hilton Electronics, run by Vic Hilton. IIRC, Vic had some involvement with the live audio for The Nolan Sisters.

My Dad's business was located in Hurstpierpoint from the early 1960s to the mid 1990s. I consequently spent a lot of my childhood there, hence why I can remember random facts about long-closed garages, confectioners and retailers.

Think the Cook Shop is closing now too (they do much of their business online apparently) and their shop in Burgess Hill will be the main one.

I remember Maynard's: used to go in there with 20p and raid the pic 'n mix, emerging with a small paper bag filled with treats.

If you go in a pic 'n mix now with 20p, you'd be lucky to walk away with a pink shrimp and a foam banana :)

And, with that post, I've just realised I've finally turned into BensGrandad :ohmy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
used to live in Albourne,....

used to cycle to the National Elf garage - (Shaves Thatch) to add to my Smurf collection

used to cycle to Maynards with £5 from Dad to get packet of B&H(for him), packet of silk cut (for mum) and a 1/4 of sweets for me

played pool for the Kings head pub 4th team, wednesday night mid sussex league - most the away pubs we played in either closed or no pool table : Kings head Newick, Junction BH, George BH, Top House BH, pierpoint (hurst),

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
ooh, and may mate Philip worked in Hiltons electronics in the mid/late 80's

had a demo TV where you could "Freeze" live TV - it just froze the screen at that point, when you pressed play, it would go to the live broadcast (not a pause)

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Think the Cook Shop is closing now too (they do much of their business online apparently) and their shop in Burgess Hill will be the main one.

I remember Maynard's: used to go in there with 20p and raid the pic 'n mix, emerging with a small paper bag filled with treats.

If you go in a pic 'n mix now with 20p, you'd be lucky to walk away with a pink shrimp and a foam banana :)

And, with that post, I've just realised I've finally turned into BensGrandad :ohmy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget the 5p for the bag.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here