Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're On Our Way...

el punal

this is why the club need to shake up the north stand, unite the singing sections and bring in a drum for controlling tempo.

The club need to shake up the North Stand, etc.? Why should they? After all it's the fans that generate the atmosphere, reflecting what's happening on the pitch. I don't think we've quite reached the North Korean approach on fan participation yet, at least I don't think the club have had any fans executed for not knowing the words to Sussex By The Sea . . . . . or have they? :eek:

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Sheffield Wednesday last season in the plays had the place rocking.

I'm a firm believer that the performance on the pitch drives the atmosphere off it.

The North Stand does sing in unison at times and sometimes it's divided, who cares? As long as the players appreciate the support and we are winning I couldn't give a rats arse!!

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne

I'm a firm believer that the performance on the pitch drives the atmosphere off it.

The North Stand does sing in unison at times and sometimes it's divided, who cares? As long as the players appreciate the support and we are winning I couldn't give a rats arse!!

The place was rocking before a ball had been kicked that night.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Not true, you could hear the North stand singing all game in the South stand

Yes there was a general level of noise from the NS but I thought those two were really loud. I was in the East middle near the disabled space.

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London

It's a real shame that it needs to be a game that big for there to be a good atmosphere.

Also what you say doesn't really add up- we were 3-0 up on Saturday and it was flat as anything. Brighton / Sussex just seems to have a demographic where people don't like to get involved unless everyone is doing it. When the Amex is loud and we've just scored, and everyone is singing, it's brilliant. But it doesn't usually get anywhere near that in between the high points.

The fans should make an effort to lift the players before the game starts, it shouldn't take the players to play well to lift the fans. The clubs that have really good atmospheres work that way around. You can see by the comments on any song thread on NSC how worried some people are about a song not being cool enough or potentially being 'cringeworthy'. I don't think you have that at clubs with decent atmospheres, people just get on with making a noise and having fun, without worrying about what anyone else is thinking.

The North Stand being divided completely dilutes the sound. It's a small stand anyway, so for it to be effective it needs to sing in unison. It's great when it happens, but unfortunately that's very rarely because for some reason Brighton fans seem incapable of listening for a second and getting the timing right, and just launch into a song at a hundred miles an hour.

I'm not sure what I think about the club getting involved to sort it out, I think I'd rather the fans did it themselves, but I can't see that happening. IF we get promoted this year then we are going to need all the help we can get next year, and the North stand is a big part of that. A united North Stand could make a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a real shame that it needs to be a game that big for there to be a good atmosphere.

Exactly.
We are a reactive crowd.
We are not and never have been proactive.

Nobody will be calling for a drum in the aftermath of the Reading game.

Big game - check.
Large, noisy away fans - check.
Obvious enemy - check
(usually the ref, but this time it'll Kermerwotsit fulfilling the pilchard role)

The atmosphere will be fantastic and we ALL will play our parts.

I'm not sure what I think about the club getting involved to sort it out, I think I'd rather the fans did it themselves, but I can't see that happening. IF we get promoted this year then we are going to need all the help we can get next year, and the North stand is a big part of that. A united North Stand could make a big difference.

The more big games we have the better the atmosphere.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
If we go down the drum route it needs to be central north stand not tucked under the police box, it needs to be used to unite both sides of the stand.

This 100%. Standing in the middle of the North on Saturday, I kept thinking how pathetic our atmosphere sounded, not necessarily due to lack of noise, but lack of co-ordination. At one point I heard the Stockdale song being sung out of sync by FOUR different areas of the stand, all at the same time. It sounded awful. I don't understand what is so difficult for people to just listen for a second, and then join in with whichever song / timing is the loudest. I've never seen any other club's fans have this problem like we do.

Unfortunately, a drum is the only solution, because people aren't going to change now. It is so important to get the right person to do it though, or it will completely ruin what atmosphere there is. All these fans who say "I'd cancel my season ticket if we got a drum" are obviously lying, but it would be a disaster if it was in the hands of the wrong people, e.g. the police box brigade. If anything it needs to be done away from the groups that are starting the songs, so the drummer can pick which one to go for and therefore silence the other song, which would hopefully put an end to the ridiculous rival song groups situation we have at the moment.

I've said before but I think a drummer could sit up on the shelf. That way it is not too disturbing for loads of fans and it would be good coordination between North and West. I've never really wanted a drum until the last few seasons but now think it needs to happen simply to keep rhythm. I went to Atletico game last night, the drummer joins in once a song has started and keeps the rhythm going, sorry to all the 'cringe' crew but it sounds absolutely brilliant when you get 2 or 3 stands all singing together IN TIME.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I've said before but I think a drummer could sit up on the shelf. That way it is not too disturbing for lads of fans and it would be good coordination between North and West. I've never really wanted a drum until the last few seasons but now think it needs to happen simply to keep rhythm. I went to Atletico game last night, the drummer joins in once a song has started and keeps the rhythm going, sorry to all the 'cringe' crew but it sounds absolutely brilliant when you get 2 or 3 stands all singing together IN TIME.

I think that could work. Must be worth a 'trial' surely. How about it [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] ?

We should be ramping it up for every game from now on in, really. My memory of 79 is 30k crowds making a great noise at the Goldstone, and huge away followings to places like Orient and Luton. Opposition teams were totally intimidated.

PG

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think that could work. Must be worth a 'trial' surely. How about it [MENTION=561]Insider[/MENTION] ?

PG

Definitely. Trial it. If it does not work and people hate it then fine. Get rid. I think it is worth trialling at least for a game or two though. I think the cringe crew may be pleasantly surprised of what it can do to improve atmosphere.

It sounds RUBBISH at places like Reading cause no one is singing. At the Amex loads of people sing, it is just not in any way coordinated.

Commander

Apr 28, 2004
London
I've said before but I think a drummer could sit up on the shelf. That way it is not too disturbing for loads of fans and it would be good coordination between North and West. I've never really wanted a drum until the last few seasons but now think it needs to happen simply to keep rhythm. I went to Atletico game last night, the drummer joins in once a song has started and keeps the rhythm going, sorry to all the 'cringe' crew but it sounds absolutely brilliant when you get 2 or 3 stands all singing together IN TIME.

100%. Somebody make it happen.

(Think my mentality might be part of the general problem with our fans, thinking about it).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before we ask the club to do anything silly, compare and contrast the Ipswich & Reading atmospheres.

TIMMO

Aug 17, 2016
At the moment a drum will add to our problems with atmosphere. What we need is the nsk police box crew, smack bang middle of the north for starters.also we need the club to stop that ring of fire shit through the tannoys before kick off and let the atmosphere build naturally.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Sounded awesome today, a number of fans stayed behind a good 5 or so minutes after the final whistle as this chant just kept on going. Fans were brilliant today.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Sounded awesome today, a number of fans stayed behind a good 5 or so minutes after the final whistle as this chant just kept on going. Fans were brilliant today.

That stand certainly helps amplify the noise. I think they announced 1395 had made the trip.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Just saw this on twitter and usuall stuff from brighton fans , 100 mph attempt to get to the end :rant:
Slow down FFS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here