Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1973 Chelsea Cup tie - were you there ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jun 27, 2012
I was reminded by [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] 's rather wonderful programmes archive that its the anniversary of *that* 1973 cup tie at the Goldstone. Today.

[tweet]819960708054061056[/tweet]

There's a great Big Match of the highlights with of all people; Jimmy Hill doing the commentary via

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-5vwvaDcc0

It was my first ever Albion game. My Dad had secured me a crate to stand on. My memory is a little hazy but i think i must have been standing about here. I still sit next to my Dad in the Amex West Stand ...44 years later. Next to my sons. :). No crates required.

chelsea.jpg

Anyone else on here remember going ?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I was there, down the front and slightly more towards the centre line. Got told off by mr plod for sitting on the wall.....health and safety was a bitch back then!

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Did Chelsea bring many fans? And where were they in the ground?

Yes, they brought plenty. I think most of them were penned in the North east corner, but there was a sizeable number in the North Stand. It kicked off after they scored, and that's when I got arrested.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
I was in the south stand next to the camera behind the goal.

I always remember being struck how big Osgood was.

Almost as wide as he was tall!

Oh and Jimmy Hill was there!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Anyone else on here remember going ?

I could have sworn Chelsea played in yellow (obviously not). I could have sworn it was an evening game (obviously not), have I got the wrong fixture? Did we play Chelsea early 70's midweek with them wearing yellow? And did we lose 1-2?

However I was standing North West, pretty much where you were.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Memorable game for your first [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] .
My dad and I had STs front row of the South Stand sitting. I think my Dad had flu so my Mum came instead. All 5'2" of her took offence at the language Chelsea fans were using in the walkway below us, so she took my large, old fashioned wooden rattle and clonked a Chelsea boot boy square on the temple, to great cheers from the Albion stalwarts around us.
I remember Chopper Harris and George Ley being sent off, but my mum got away with her misdemeanour.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes, they brought plenty. I think most of them were penned in the North east corner, but there was a sizeable number in the North Stand. It kicked off after they scored, and that's when I got arrested.

I saved this photo that came up on Twitter a couple of years back, this must of been from around that time.
It said this lot were Chelsea.

image.jpeg

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I was down the front of the east terrace (I was only 10 years old) and the Chelsea fans terrified me as they marched into the north east corner and 'challenged' the flimsy fencing (before bars in those days).

I also remember Eddie Spearitt nearly scoring with a header after being up by Beamish and we lost 0-2 buts thats about all.

This was my first taste of my team playing against a famous team from the TV! How times have changed...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was there. It was in the North stand as a youngster (My first full season after the chicken run). Towards the end I was wishing I wasn't in the North Stand.

Bit hairy towards the end,

Remember the two sendings off.. and that's about it.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I was there in the North Stand, got arrested after Chelsea's first goal.
I remember standing in the rammed pack North when some Chelsea fans came in and wanted to fight. A circle about 10 yards wide formed with Chelsea fans in the middle and both sides waiting to see what was going to happen . . . seconds went by before it kicked off.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
i was there too .torn between my two (at that time) teams !, think we had to go to a reserves game to enable us to buy a ticket for that game , so there was about 20,000 atthe goldstone for a reserves game

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I saved this photo that came up on Twitter a couple of years back, this must of been from around that time.
It said this lot were Chelsea.

View attachment 81147
I think this was the time when some Chelsea fans were wearing white butcher coats but none seen in this picture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here