Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you settle for 89 pts

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Interesting to see the disparity in odds between ourselves and Newcastle. I fully expect Newcastle to be promoted, but they still have to play Sheff Weds, Leeds, Preston, Cardiff and Ipswich. Even Barnsley (last game) might not be that easy - although I very much doubt there will be anything at stake for that one.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So what do we think we need to beat Toon to the trophy? Their form has been iffy, could well have dropped points to Wigan yesterday. I reckon 95 will do it though may need to improve GD with a couple fo chunky wins.

Let's just ensure a top 2 finish and not worry about anything else

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Trying to not to get too far ahead of things, but it looks highly unlikely that any of our four away opponents will have anything to play for when we meet them. QPR are already 99% safe. Wolves have a couple of fixtures against relegation contenders coming up, and will almost certainly be safe by Good Friday. Norwich have 3 or 4 really tough fixtures coming up, and are highly, highly unlikely to be able to reach the Play-offs by the time we go to Carrow Road. And Villa will have to win all their remaining games to be in with a shout come May 7th. Although this may mean they're all rather relaxed, and play better, it SHOULD help us. Playing a team like Blackburn, who are fighting for everything, is not the ideal scenario just now.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
89 will be plenty now as I can't see hudds or anyone else going hell for leather after seeing what happened to us last year being physically and mentally knackered for the playoffs none of them will believe they have a hope to catch us now in fact 89 will be more than enough
I'm not sure Wagner even knows what happened to us last season, since he thought we'd choked, when we hadn't. I see your point though, but that would suggest Wagner rotates his players a little to keep them fresh - but if they do that, they could still win the games to get close.

Their last 2 games must have killed their confidence a bit though, it's a big ask for them now.

Looks increasingly likely that 86 will be enough now as Hudds unlikely to get 16 points from their remaining 8 games (as they haven't managed a 2point/game average all season and don't see that changing now)
They haven't managed 2 points average over 38 games, no, but it's a lot easier to do it over 8 games. For example, they won 7 out of their first 8 in 2017, giving them 21 points.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
I'm not sure Wagner even knows what happened to us last season, since he thought we'd choked, when we hadn't. I see your point though, but that would suggest Wagner rotates his players a little to keep them fresh - but if they do that, they could still win the games to get close.

Their last 2 games must have killed their confidence a bit though, it's a big ask for them now.
I think they rotate a fair bit but they are missing 3 key players in Hogg and the two Chelsea boys which is a bitter blow for them (hehe) I can't see them getting much or weds either

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although this may mean they're all rather relaxed, and play better, it SHOULD help us. Playing a team like Blackburn, who are fighting for everything, is not the ideal scenario just now.
You just can't tell can you, it probably helped that Blackburn came at us yesterday rather than sat back. I can't see a team with nothing to play for sitting back too much either though. I say we all get on twitter in the week before the game, 'guised as Villa fans, and send Vtheir players nice holiday destination ideas, or maybe details on the latest top sports car.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
they are missing 3 key players in Hogg and the two Chelsea boys which is a bitter blow for them
How long are they out for? It was disappointing to see them bring in Brown while we got Akpom.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting to see the disparity in odds between ourselves and Newcastle. I fully expect Newcastle to be promoted, but they still have to play Sheff Weds, Leeds, Preston, Cardiff and Ipswich. Even Barnsley (last game) might not be that easy - although I very much doubt there will be anything at stake for that one.

It's been that way since our 'wobble' started with the loss at Preston.

The odds reflect cash flows, as bookies protect their position. Far more money has been laid on the big PL club.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Why are people obsessed with any number of points? Any more than 3rd is good enough for me.

We are going up, and maybe more than 89 points for the title, who knows.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Back in August I'd have said yes without a shadow of a doubt. The boys are gunning for the title now so no, I wouldn't!

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here