Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2016

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Has the Paul Simon album 'Stranger to Stranger' been mentioned? I gave it my first proper listen on the commute home tonight and it's an instant hit. He's still got lots of influences from African music but there's a bit more variety to this very strong album - a bit of funk, a few slowies, some acoustic tracks, instrumentals, Latin, African, a folky blues tune titled 'Duncan' that is very retro Simon and Garfunkel sounding and is quite glorious. I really do like this album a lot. I might ask for it as a Christmas present as I would love to have this on CD - I only have a digital copy presently.

This tune 'Wristband' is probably my fave on the album. I'm expecting a few remixes of this to appear soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3crKHaBdy4

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Regina Spektor - Remember Us To Life

It's been a long time since we've seen anything from Ms Spektor but this album is well worth the wait. If you can, get hold of the deluxe edition as it's got a few bonus tracks that are well worth the extra pennies. This is a fuller sound than I was expecting, there's quite an orchestra backing her up to give it that feeling but there are also lots of moments of tranquility still that have been the hallmark of her records over the years. This has been an album that I've returned to time and again and it's slowly growing on me as one of my favourites of hers. Highly recommended. I hope she doesn't leave it another 4 years before she releases another album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZW4kZKDfow

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Resident album of the week is an absolute barn-stormer. Josefin Öhrn + The Liberation - 'Mirage'.

Definitely for anyone still pining for Fever Ray or PlanningToRock to return with new material. It's quite messy in a glorious way with influences from bands such as Suicide and Portishead and chuck in lots of psychedelia into it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtiruB_S3Ks

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A couple of comeback albums from big names that are a bit of a let down.

Suzanne Vega - 'Lover Beloved'. I found the first two tracks on the album just unbearable, the first jazz/blues and the second is an out and out jazz number and they're both the very sort of jazz that I can't stand. After that it does settle down into a more familiar guitar/piano-led affair with the exception of a trad-jazz tribute to Harper Lee but it all feels like she's well within her comfort zone and that she's playing to the gallery. I've not warmed to this album at all. We of Me is about the best of the lot, that or 12 Mortal Men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqDVEuHtwUM

De La Soul - And The Anonymous Nobody

It's an extremely ambitious project, I think it was all crowdfunded too, coming in at 17 tracks but the overall feel is incredibly messy with lots of journeys down dead-ends and very few decent tunes. Not their finest moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vDVDo9w20w

Talking of comebacks, I see that The Beat have a new album out too, the first in 30 years with Ranking Roger getting top billing. I'm hoping to wangle a freebie copy of this and if so will report back.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
As excited as a nipper on Christmas Eve, this is available tomorrow.

Agnes-Obel-360x330.jpg

:clap::banana:

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Was indeed the support for Goat, sadly couldn't get down in time. Sounds like I missed out. Goat were superb btw.

I was there :wave: and was pretty impressed with their first couple of offerings - then something seemed to happen to the Bass, it overpowered everything else and I couldn't wait for it to end!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No mention of Grumbling Fur's FurFour long player? Bought the vinyl and really enjoying the somewhat uplifting psych sound of this album.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Having given it repeated spins since Friday I can safely confirm (imho) that Laughing Len's new long player is stupendous. Long may he run.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I read somewhere recently that Grumbling Fur are also in a super-band type project but can't for the life of me recall where I read it.

And I'm very excited to see that there is a special 25th anniversary edition of Saint Etienne's Foxbase Alpha in the pipeline. Pre-orders are available from Thursday.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I read somewhere recently that Grumbling Fur are also in a super-band type project but can't for the life of me recall where I read it.

And I'm very excited to see that there is a special 25th anniversary edition of Saint Etienne's Foxbase Alpha in the pipeline. Pre-orders are available from Thursday.

Are you sure it wasn't that Grumbling Fur ARE a 'super-band?' Both Tucker and Daniel O' Sullivan are well known; solo mainly in Tucker's case, whereas with a multitude of various avant/post metal types in O' Sullivan's.

Anyway, giving it a spin now. I note that they're on Thrill Jockey now, quite a step up from the boys at the Quietus desperately putting a release together!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here