Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland fans want gus out !

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
the same fan was moaning about how negative the football was and how they were just set up to defend. something that a lot of people seem to have forgotten about the brighton poyet era once we were in the championship.

Your right . Ive been missing the success we had under gus, and nearly forgotten the side to side bulls**t gus liked to play.
what also i wonder is how far gus would of got with the same team Oscar had ( injurys etc ) last season because im not so sure he would of made top 6.
its easy to think he was the best manager we've had in decades. But he took over us the best possible time.
No one before or since has had a team that gus had at his disposal.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
the same fan was moaning about how negative the football was and how they were just set up to defend. something that a lot of people seem to have forgotten about the brighton poyet era once we were in the championship.

Our shots on goal stats were truly awful. I think I can remember a game when we didn't have a single shot on goal, but if I am wrong with that stat, there were many games where we failed to muster up more than 3 or 4 attempts. Oscar inherited a team that lacked confidence and got vertigo in the final third, so unfortunately he was labeled as dull by some fans, but I believe that was a symptom of the Poyet era.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Gus is nowhere near the management genius he probably imagines himself to be. He has got two key components: charisma (or an inflated ego, depending on how you look at it) and an ability to make teams organised defensively.

But I don't think he's particularly good at working out the strengths and weaknesses of players. As a human being, I find him pretty hard to like. I'd be surprised if he was entrusted with a bigger job than the Sunderland one.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The amount of similarities between them now and us in Poyet's last season with us is incredible, some of our fans wanted him out for the same reasons too.

Sunderland are just a "steady" club anyway, shouldnt be near the bottom, but shouldnt be top half, not sure what they expect.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Watched the Sunderland v Liverpool game yesterday and can see where the Sunderland fans are coming from. They were woeful against a bang average Liverpool side. Adam Johnson appears to be one of their only bright sparks. Struggling to think of three Premier League teams that are worse than them on current form. The Championship beckons.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Watched the Sunderland v Liverpool game yesterday and can see where the Sunderland fans are coming from. They were woeful against a bang average Liverpool side. Adam Johnson appears to be one of their only bright sparks. Struggling to think of three Premier League teams that are worse than them on current form. The Championship beckons.

Id like to se sunderland, palace and qpr come down

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
The trouble with Sunderland is that the supporters (like many of us sometimes) actually believe their club are 'big' and have a divine right to success, even in the premiership.

For me, Sunderland are nothing more than a perennial struggler with a large fan base, who only turn up when they are doing well. Perhaps Poyet's main success is actually keeping them in the premiership. I certainly don't class them as 'big' as Tottenham, Everton or even Newcastle (though the latter also try and live on past glories).

I think they should be careful what they wish for.

When was the last time they challenged for anything?

Apart from last season in a cup final? I would say that is challenging for something

I think you will find very little Sunderland fans that feel the right of anything and have had many struggles and time in the lower leagues in the past 100 or so years, other than the glory days in the late 1800s to the 40s there has not been much more other than a cup win and a number of league 2 (championship or whatever) wins as a yoyo club in the 90s early 2000s

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Apart from last season in a cup final? I would say that is challenging for something

I think you will find very little Sunderland fans that feel the right of anything and have had many struggles and time in the lower leagues in the past 100 or so years, other than the glory days in the late 1800s to the 40s there has not been much more other than a cup win and a number of league 2 (championship or whatever) wins as a yoyo club in the 90s early 2000s

So what's your opinion on Gus right now?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My main gripe with Gus was his negativity against shit sides away from home. We had quite a few games against teams down the bottom where we hardly registered a shot

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
So what's your opinion on Gus right now?

Personally I want him to stay, I feel he is one of the better managers we have had in recent years, took us to a final and who knows who really is choosing signings etc - he must have had a hand in Bridcutt and Buckley though given they were his players from old. We have not had a decent manager since Reidy and I think he is one of the better ones since

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Thanks it was a genuine question, I forgot about the League Cup. Good achievement albeit a competition largely for reserve teams these days until the latter rounds.

So on that basis what are the fans problems?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Personally I want him to stay, I feel he is one of the better managers we have had in recent years, took us to a final and who knows who really is choosing signings etc - he must have had a hand in Bridcutt and Buckley though given they were his players from old. We have not had a decent manager since Reidy and I think he is one of the better ones since

Fair enough, so you're ok with him blaming everyone else, all of the time?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Fair enough, so you're ok with him blaming everyone else, all of the time?

I think a big part of management is mind games especially theses days with so many interviews etc - look at Mourinho for instance, not that I am saying that Gus is anywhere near as good as him.

What he does behind closed doors is all that matters and who knows what he says then - if he can get more money out of the owner for players then great

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

They won't go down. 4/5 teams are worse or more at risk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here