Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Matt Dawson - the biggest tool in sport?

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
He was head boy and year above me at school.. I personally didn't know him, but I tended to hear more negative than positive comments about him.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So on the basis that of our 18 players on the team sheet against United last Friday included 12 (13 if you include Duffy who plays for Eire) foreign players you don't feel any affinity towards Brighton anymore :whistle:

I can't believe you said that! There is a huge difference! The players who come to us are OUR players, we adopt them and we support them because they have chosen to play for OUR club. If the like of Gross, Knocky, Ryan etc had all gone to Huddersfield for example we wouldn't give a toss about them. In the old days, even though they weren't our teams, we used to support Liverpool etc in Europe because at least we felt some national affinity to the players. Liverpool (British owned, British managed, British players) v Bayern Munich for example was Britain v Germany. That one tie we had to other peoples' clubs has now gone.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
May I take this opportunity to offer my heartfelt congratulations to Wilfried Zaha on winning the Premier League Player of the Month Award for April.

The diving, cheating clown!

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Having spent my schooldays in Liverpool in the 70s and 80s I don't remember much "friendly rivalry" on Derby day.

I lived as an adult in many parts of Liverpool. And worked in a number of schools. Which part of the city are you from?

I once lived within spitting distance of the Kop, and I'd probably have been careful out and about at the derby. However, it's definitely got worse these days. I sat in the main end of Goodison once for the derby, as a neutral, there were Liverpool fans in there and despite Liverpool winning 2 nil, and their celebrations, there was no bother whatsoever.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I find Matt Dawson very strange. I quite enjoy Question of Sport. Not because I particularly like any of the regulars (that might be a little harsh on Tufnell who can be mildly amusing) but simply because sometimes the questions are actually quite good and in line with my own knowledge - e.g. 'Name the 10 teams to have qualified the Champions League on the most occasions' came up on the episode I watched a couple of nights ago. So I'll happily play along and generally do better than any of the dunces appearing on the show. But Dawson always manages to leave me feeling a bit uneasy. He is definitely one of those unfortunate people who really aren't funny whatsoever but are desperate to be funny. So he tries to find the 'hilarity' in almost any situation, even when there isn't any. It's embarrassing to watch. He's also a massive attention seeker. He clearly can't cope with the fact Tufnell is obviously far more affable and humorous than him. Worse still, he talks in a way that suggests he actually believes he is incredibly intelligent/knowledgeable about sport. Unfortunately he isn't. As an example, for the Champions League question I mentioned, his first three answers were Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Barcelona. Nothing wrong with that. All three are obvious. But his fourth guess was Liverpool, which is obviously wrong and he lost all his points. Is it really unrealistic to expect a team captain on a BBC sports quiz to be aware that Liverpool haven't qualified for the Champions League all that often in the 25 years it's been running. And at the very least, when it comes to English teams you would know that Manchester United and Arsenal are your go-to answers as they've been in it almost every single year. You wouldn't touch anyone else. It just seems to me like he might actually be a bit thick and can't accept it.

Congratulations! You are the "no paragraph" poster of the day.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I lived as an adult in many parts of Liverpool. And worked in a number of schools. Which part of the city are you from?

I once lived within spitting distance of the Kop, and I'd probably have been careful out and about at the derby. However, it's definitely got worse these days. I sat in the main end of Goodison once for the derby, as a neutral, there were Liverpool fans in there and despite Liverpool winning 2 nil, and their celebrations, there was no bother whatsoever.

Huyton, then moved to the one eyed city!

Used to go to Anfield with my next door neighbours dad...there was no love lost on Derby day, next morning they'd all be back to being mates...until the bevvies kicked in of an evening.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
He was head boy and year above me at school.. I personally didn't know him, but I tended to hear more negative than positive comments about him.

Was that in High Wycombe? Lad I used to work with was in Dawson's year too..he just describes him as "that bellend" and says he was going bald when he was in sixth form. Used to call him "pebble head" by all accounts.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Huyton, then moved to the one eyed city!

Used to go to Anfield with my next door neighbours dad...there was no love lost on Derby day, next morning they'd all be back to being mates...until the bevvies kicked in of an evening.
My kids were at a little c of e school in Huyton, we lived in Knotty Ash at the time.

Gave them a lucky break when we moved to Sussex!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
My kids were at a little c of e school in Huyton, we lived in Knotty Ash at the time.

Gave them a lucky break when we moved to Sussex!

I went to de la salle in L'pool.

Ended up there when my parents divorced...so I went, aged 6 from Brighton to Liverpool. Now THAT was a culture shock.

I would have preferred it the other way round tbh.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Was that in High Wycombe? Lad I used to work with was in Dawson's year too..he just describes him as "that bellend" and says he was going bald when he was in sixth form. Used to call him "pebble head" by all accounts.

Yup RGS High Wycombe..

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Having spent my schooldays in Liverpool in the 70s and 80s I don't remember much "friendly rivalry" on Derby day.

Sure there's red and blue in families, workplaces and whatnot but there was always a load of ag on match days. Most of the fights in my school were related to Everton/Liverpool spats and the two sets of fans had very well defined drinking holes where "the other lot" dare not tread.

It's not as bad as Rangers / Celtic but it could get pretty hairy around town on the evening after a game.
Honestly, according to older people (60+) it did used to be mainly friendly. My friend moved south to London in 1970 and it was still good then, but admittedly when he moved back in 200? (Can't remember the exact year) he said it wasn't the same.

Did you know they used to play the reserve derby on the same day as the 1st team one? If Liverpool were playing Everton at Anfield, then Everton reserves would be at home to Liverpool reserves at Goodison. If you couldn't get a ticket for the main match you went to the reserve one! It was quite funny because the cheers from the crowd would be based around radio reports from the main game, and would bear no resemblance to the patterns of play in the reserve match!

Don't know when they stopped that, but I'm guessing it was decades ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here