Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Asterix is ok i suppose and Dogmatix is much better than that annoying mutt Snowy but Tintin edges it for finding a Yeti and going to the moon.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I don't understand what you're getting at.

Take Spain. Assuming someone under 30 can even find a job there, you will get zero health cover until you have made social security payments and at best you'll only ever be entitled to two years of unemployment benefit before that stops entirely. You wouldn't even get the latter if you were self-employed

That applies whether you're British or Bolivian, so membership of the EU has nothing to do with it.

Technically an EU citizen has the right to live there, but the Spanish reserve the right to kick you out if you have no means of supporting yourself.

It seems that a large number of people are under the wholly mistaken impression that the rest of the EU offers the same ludicrously generous benefits as the British and Germans.

Didn’t I read that the people at Calais were entitled to at least the same amount of benefits in France as they are in the UK? In some cases it was more but they have this overwhelming desire to get to the UK. That desire is not going to go away anytime soon.

Agree with the Spanish system (I live there) where you only get benefits when you have paid in. The UK could have the same rules but choose not to. The EU rules are that you cannot treat EU nationals different to how you treat your own citizens. Seems fair to me.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
This system already exists in the EU - it already works in practice. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25134521 As a migrant, you're not automatically entitled to benefits. But you are if you pass, in the UK, a 'habitual residents test'. Other EU countries will have slightly different arrangements but the principle is the same.

And it's worth remembering that benefits are also paid to people in work - millions of them.

Oh goodie I can now go to work in Bulgaria and live on their benefits whilst sweeping the station platforms. Or if I were Bulgarian I could wash cars and get in work benefits (per week) worth more than a weeks work in Bulgaria if I move to the UK. Hmmmmm! Now just to pass that dodgy Habitual residents test!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
i think you're overstating what the rights EU provides. beyond obtaining a visa, its not much different from going to a non-EU country. if you pay into local funds, you'll get sick/unemployment, just as you would elsewhere. technically, you have to be able to support yourself to move to just about anywhere in EU, its supposed to be a freedom of movement of labour.

As I've said above, it's enshrined in the EU that other EU nationals are entitled to comparable benefits as native workers AFTER they've met the qualifying period. I'm not aware of any other countries the UK has this arrangement with.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Classic binfest

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

image.jpg

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
Well fair enough. But do read that BBC article if you have a second. It explained a complex issue to me.

It's not really so complicated. As others have already explained, a migrant worker is entitled to the same benefits as a local.

It's just that other countries don't have such wildly generous benefits systems as the UK.

And that is what I think, as the thread title says, is one of the BEST things about Europe.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Oh goodie I can now go to work in Bulgaria and live on their benefits whilst sweeping the station platforms. Or if I were Bulgarian I could wash cars and get in work benefits (per week) worth more than a weeks work in Bulgaria if I move to the UK. Hmmmmm! Now just to pass that dodgy Habitual residents test!

Some countries are wealthier than others of course. The flip side for us is that we rely on people from less wealthy EU countries to staff our agriculture, health and service industries. Meanwhile I know Brits who've snapped up 'bargain' Bulgarian holiday homes. This is, basically, international trade in action.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Some countries are wealthier than others of course. The flip side for us is that we rely on people from less wealthy EU countries to staff our agriculture, health and service industries. Meanwhile I know Brits who've snapped up 'bargain' Bulgarian holiday homes. This is, basically, international trade in action.

So it's for personal financial benefit, not for the good of refugees and the wellbeing and benevolence to mankind in general?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here