Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Having lived in Frankfurt for a couple of years, I can honestly say, there is no comparison to Croydon, in any shape or form

good or bad :) the chap was half joking, though Frankfurt is regarded as a dreary place no one wants to go to. to complete the sentence "lets go on a weekend break to .....", how many would put "Frankfurt"?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I am bemused as peoples optimism at future relations with The EU here, when they slate it and laugh at Cameron for attempting to get a 'deal' that he was never going to get, when it would have been in The EU's interest for us to never left in the first place. Now there's going to be a mass outbreak of common sense. I'm not so sure.

i saw a columnist write that EU takes UK seriously but not literally, and therefore (badly) misjudged the mood of the country and Cameron's deal, giving him naff all. they simply didnt think we'd go through with it, despite our long history of showing we have the minerals. had they judged better they'd have given Cameron a decent deal for a little but tangible leeway on some issues, and he'd probably have won. now they know to take us literally, we're leaving if they dont come to an agreement. so, whats in their interests? there are many conflicting, not least the core split between those wanting to maintain access to our economy, both for jobs and for finance, and those wanting a deal to be seen to be worse than membership. then theres a large budget hole they have.

if there's one thing i trust the EU on is the ability to create a fudge that looks and says one thing while being another, so im confident they will come up with an arrangement that looks far worse than membership, but in reality is only slightly "worse" with little technical difference in many areas. single market and customs union can be retained, countless pan-european agreements can be signed off, power of European Court of Justice is main concession along with a suitable smoke and mirror on immigration, and a re-formulated membership fee. i predict we'll end up quite close in the end, but with some clearly worded statements in key areas to appear more substantial than they are.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
did i say "nothing to do"? i'll take first hand opinions of half a dozen people and reputation from wider afield, than a wiki link from someone who doesnt know any different themself.

You said it was known as dreary. It's not. I've been many times and had a fantastic time. But you wouldn't believe that so I thought you might like to see he list of cultural highlights, Michelin starred restaurants, museums, it's nightclubs, festivals and awards.
Face it, you know **** all about Frankfurt or you wouldn't have called it dreary.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
so im confident they will come up with an arrangement that looks far worse than membership, but in reality is only slightly "worse" with little technical difference in many areas. single market and customs union can be retained, countless pan-european agreements can be signed off, power of European Court of Justice is main concession along with a suitable smoke and mirror on immigration, and a re-formulated membership fee. i predict we'll end up quite close in the end, but with some clearly worded statements in key areas to appear more substantial than they are.

I tend to agree with this, however I think they will push it to the wire before agreeing as a warning to others....

D

Deleted member 22389

good or bad :) the chap was half joking, though Frankfurt is regarded as a dreary place no one wants to go to. to complete the sentence "lets go on a weekend break to .....", how many would put "Frankfurt"?

Most people say Lille, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Bruges, heard nobody ever mention Frankfurt.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Most people say Lille, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Bruges, heard nobody ever mention Frankfurt.

Which for us forward thinkers, is a marvelous thing indeed. However somebody must like it. It's the 4th most visited city in Germany for cultural visitors.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Your frenzied postings suggest a nice long restful holiday could be in order?

Same for you. One week away could really help you to reflect on how much left wing political drivel you post, on a daily basis, on a football forum, all for what reason?

You are as predictable as a Dean Hammond sideways pass. Time you started moving forward. How about posting something funny, or imaginative? Stop taking life so seriously on a football forum.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

It is true of weekends tbf. Banking city, where most of the people travel home to other parts of Germany, or other countries etc.
Thought the place was ok, restaurants, bars etc. Certainly better than Croydon haha. The upside for me was a very big Reggae scene, so it probably rose tinted my glasses a bit.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You said it was known as dreary. It's not. I've been many times and had a fantastic time. But you wouldn't believe that...

i do believe you.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Not sure Jim you would really appreciate any response from brexiters all over again regarding your concerns.

How about we pass this over to some legitimate real remainers for their input instead.

[MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] [MENTION=25549]5ways[/MENTION]

Can you boys help a brother out?
Because there will no longer be any flights from the UK to Europe or Europe to the UK post brexit Jim is worried our big footy clubs will need to diversify and have two teams like Chelsea UK and Chelsea EU if they wish to compete in The Champions League as the inevitable long coach journeys are impractical for the UK branch of the club. ( not sure which domestic league Chelsea EU are competing in but we can iron out little things like that later)

Anything you boys can say to reassure him or even if appropriate, confirm his worries?
Could he fly for example to another non EU country and then fly into Europe to circumnavigate the direct ban on cross border flights or are those airlines in other non EU countries getting canned post brexit too (oops soz about that, should have thought things through), or maybe sneak into France with the help of the resistance and then get an internal EU flight….or will that be just too impractical, especially if it’s a whole squad going in cognito dressed in orange tracksuits?

Poor old Jim in the west has raised his concerns but the lawyers, consultants, staff at DfT, and airline industry experts are all ignoring him for some baffling reason.

So come on chaps don’t leave a brother hanging. Show him you care and help out.

:lolol:

I think a second golden age of English piracy could be the answer. Sneaking across the channel in makeshift rafts and dodging EU border police by hiding out at safe-houses provided by sympathisers.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
i saw a columnist write that EU takes UK seriously but not literally, and therefore (badly) misjudged the mood of the country and Cameron's deal, giving him naff all. they simply didnt think we'd go through with it, despite our long history of showing we have the minerals. had they judged better they'd have given Cameron a decent deal for a little but tangible leeway on some issues, and he'd probably have won. now they know to take us literally, we're leaving if they dont come to an agreement. so, whats in their interests? there are many conflicting, not least the core split between those wanting to maintain access to our economy, both for jobs and for finance, and those wanting a deal to be seen to be worse than membership. then theres a large budget hole they have.

if there's one thing i trust the EU on is the ability to create a fudge that looks and says one thing while being another, so im confident they will come up with an arrangement that looks far worse than membership, but in reality is only slightly "worse" with little technical difference in many areas. single market and customs union can be retained, countless pan-european agreements can be signed off, power of European Court of Justice is main concession along with a suitable smoke and mirror on immigration, and a re-formulated membership fee. i predict we'll end up quite close in the end, but with some clearly worded statements in key areas to appear more substantial than they are.

If it is to be a largely cosmetic arrangement it does beg the question why we are putting ourselves through the uncertainty, anxiety, acrimony and cost. Think of what we could have done with the expenditure on the leaving process; maybe investing in intelligence services, NHS, regional development etc. and unlike the 350m this is money that actually exists. Anyway it is too late now..the course is set.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How is that an insult? Swiss banks don't have full pasporting rights and have to locate operations directly within The EU, many of them in London, as a result.

A key example of how so many brexiters simply do not have the first clue about what they voted for. It would be worrying if the damage wasn't already done!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You said it was known as dreary. It's not. I've been many times and had a fantastic time. But you wouldn't believe that so I thought you might like to see he list of cultural highlights, Michelin starred restaurants, museums, it's nightclubs, festivals and awards.
Face it, you know **** all about Frankfurt or you wouldn't have called it dreary.

Quite the Judith Chalmers. Maybe a new thread for your travel suggestions

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here