Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chinese football money - effect on BHA?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Boom and bust. They can't even field more than 4/5 foreign players?

The standard of football there is absolutely atrocious and the support ie. people actually going to games isn't great either.

They're on a hiding to nothing and should be building structually, grassroots upwards by stealing european coaches, not players.

Every single player that goes there, whose legs haven't gone or isn't at least 32+ is showing exactly what their motivations are - to pursue the path of least resistance to get disgustingly more rich than they were already. It's no surprise it's being saturated with flaky South Americans either who tend not to like the competitiveness, pace and physicality of European football.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You should have a look at the crowds who go to the IPL games and compare them to traditional test match crowds if you think there's been no change in the watching habits of the public.

And in England, we've gone from about 30 CC games to 14 in order to shoehorn in more 20/20 games. There's been a massive change in our watching habits.

I was talking Packer, 70s, not now.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
That's a strange thing to say because Packer had a MASSIVE effect on cricket - northern and southern. Coloured clothing, day/night games, big bucks for players, all-star teams and more flexible contracts, they're all a direct consequence of Packer's vision,

If you're signing the Chinese signings are another Packer in the making, then we're heading for an earthquake in footballing terms,

But a cricket circus - not real cricket.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
They're on a hiding to nothing and should be building structually, grassroots upwards by stealing european coaches, not players.

This. It takes time to build interest, and flying in stars only goes so far. You'd probably be better off asking an expert like Shizuoka Seagull but the Japanese league started off with a load of ageing stars (granted the Chinese seem to have attracted some players who are younger) which drew crowds at first but didn't last long.
They then decided to build up from a grass roots level. OK perhaps people around the world aren't watching the J-League in great numbers but it's a solid league with decent support, and the Japanese national team is light years ahead of how it used to be.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Ultimately I guess the impact will be higher transfer fees, higher wages, higher sky tv costs and higher ticket prices.

You mean like the effect Premier League has had on football globally with its obscenely high wages? I find it interesting that people get exercised by China throwing money at players to get them to play in their league when that's exactly what we've done in England over the past few years. Except we haven't capped the number of foreign players allowed here so our national team has got worse. You could argue that by having this cap on foreign players the Chinese are at least trying to raise the standard of the local talent.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The way I read the thread title made me more worried about a Chinese attempt to take over the club should we make it to the Premier League.

In saying that you're also effectively saying that you are worried that Bloom would just dump the Albion to some with big wallets but no Albion connections.

No one can attempt to take over the club in any meaningful way. Only one man can allow the club to be taken over.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What's wrong with a bit of foreign investment anyway? Just look at Palace.

Prince Charming promised that the lifelong fans in charge would only accept investment and wouldn't relinquish control of the club, and now they have all this extra money to spend on their stadium and invest in their superstar team so they can push for European football. So it's not as if they are now majority owned by some dodgy faceless Delaware companies whose owners (whoever they may be) can do whatever they like with the club. Or as if they're about to be relegated while owing £200m to those companies and.....oh.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
You mean like the effect Premier League has had on football globally with its obscenely high wages? I find it interesting that people get exercised by China throwing money at players to get them to play in their league when that's exactly what we've done in England over the past few years. Except we haven't capped the number of foreign players allowed here so our national team has got worse. You could argue that by having this cap on foreign players the Chinese are at least trying to raise the standard of the local talent.

Yup exactly that. Chelsea will now have 150/160m to sign a replacement for Costa, probably Llorente from Swansea, they might try and sign Hogan for 15m, Brentford then sign players and so on.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In saying that you're also effectively saying that you are worried that Bloom would just dump the Albion to some with big wallets but no Albion connections.

No one can attempt to take over the club in any meaningful way. Only one man can allow the club to be taken over.

I don't have concerns that Tony has any desire to sell, but if the Chinese state are throwing HUGE and disproportionate amounts of money at English football then you never know what might be offered.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Whilst I'd love to see the Albion succeed, win the league, or at least get promoted, a bit of me would almost rather stay in the Football League rather than joining the lunatic fringe that is the EPL

Www.oldfootballshirts.com

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here