Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
More good cheer for our Brexiteer friends: the Nursing and Midwives Council tell us that just a mere 4000 members from the EEA left in 2017. But hang on - it gets even better! - 800 arrived to enjoy the Land of Milk and Honey that awaits us. There's no issue here as there'll be no illness after Brexit and so much money gushing through the NHS that the few staff who remain will be on about a million quid a year. Thanks lads.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As I have pointed out initially 2 years ago after the Original vote but still holding true, even though the timescale has now been extended to 5 years.

The Government is incapable of implementing Brexit in the agreed timescales.

Let's assume, to avoid arguments and ignoring all evidence to the contrary, that they manage to negotiate a brilliant deal in phase 2 :smile:

They will still not be able to implement it, there is insufficient time and resources. Just look up how the rollout of Universal Credits, a relatively simple set of changes, is going.

Tick Tock indeed :facepalm:
"Let's assume, to avoid arguments"...................ha! That's rich!

D

Deleted member 22389

More good cheer for our Brexiteer friends: the Nursing and Midwives Council tell us that just a mere 4000 members from the EEA left in 2017. But hang on - it gets even better! - 800 arrived to enjoy the Land of Milk and Honey that awaits us. There's no issue here as there'll be no illness after Brexit and so much money gushing through the NHS that the few staff who remain will be on about a million quid a year. Thanks lads.

What source? If you can download the Nick Ferrari show on LBC this morning, you will find that staff numbers are actually up, unless I was hearing things.
It was on about 8:50am. They where interviewing someone from that council. Be good to get that confirmed today.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Is he a drunk? What's your excuse for acting like a ****wit?

Well he certainly acts like one,or perhaps he has health issues.The quality of his posts has dropped drastically in the past couple of years.Perhaps a mid-life crisis?Happens a lot to people on the slope to retirement.As for myself,I have been acting like a f***wit since my teens,and am ltoo old to change!:thumbsup:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Perhaps,for balance,you might have quoted the whole article?Never mind,I will help you out.Also,no mention of the 10,000 sacked nurses in Zimbabwe,many of whom would be very welcome to join the NHS.At least they already speak English of a good standard!

remainer shite.png

D

Deleted member 22389

Perhaps,for balance,you might have quoted the whole article?Never mind,I will help you out.Also,no mention of the 10,000 sacked nurses in Zimbabwe,many of whom would be very welcome to join the NHS.At least they already speak English of a good standard!

View attachment 96366

So I wasn't hearing things on LBC then. Thanks for the confirmation.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
What source? If you can download the Nick Ferrari show on LBC this morning, you will find that staff numbers are actually up, unless I was hearing things.
It was on about 8:50am. They where interviewing someone from that council. Be good to get that confirmed today.

It's reported in The Nursing Times here - https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/w...-driving-nmc-register-decline/7024184.article

"Royal College of Nursing chief executive and general secretary Janet Davies said the NMC figures showed efforts to boost nurse staffing were being being “dragged down by a botched Brexit”.

“Nurses returning home, or giving Britain a miss entirely, are doing so because their rights are not clear enough. Theresa May must use every opportunity to say they are welcome here and valued in health care,” she said.

“Starting to stem the loss of British nurses is welcome but the real battle is to inspire young people to join the profession,” she added."

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Also,no mention of the 10,000 sacked nurses in Zimbabwe,many of whom would be very welcome to join the NHS.At least they already speak English of a good standard!

I somewhat doubt 10,000 Zimmie nurses would get Tier 2 visas at present or anytime soon.

D

Deleted member 22389

It's reported in The Nursing Times here - https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/w...-driving-nmc-register-decline/7024184.article

"Royal College of Nursing chief executive and general secretary Janet Davies said the NMC figures showed efforts to boost nurse staffing were being being “dragged down by a botched Brexit”.

“Nurses returning home, or giving Britain a miss entirely, are doing so because their rights are not clear enough. Theresa May must use every opportunity to say they are welcome here and valued in health care,” she said.

“Starting to stem the loss of British nurses is welcome but the real battle is to inspire young people to join the profession,” she added."

I wonder how many Nurses they actually asked. You also wouldn't just leave the country because your rights are not clear enough. I should imagine it's more to do with the working conditions. Also just to add, if there is a reduction in people applying from the EU there could be other reasons, for example the NHS not advertising as many jobs abroad, if that's how they do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I wonder how many Nurses they actually asked. You also wouldn't just leave the country because your rights are not clear enough. I should imagine it's more to do with the working conditions. Also just to add, if there is a reduction in people applying from the EU there could be other reasons, for example the NHS not advertising as many jobs abroad, if that's how they do it.

The RCN Chief Executive is saying this - they know who's registered and working here and who's leaving and why. NHS Trusts are also now having to advertise further afield, such as The Philippines, but nurses from there are subject to Tier 2 Visas which are not automatically granted. This wasn't the intention with Brexit - hence her using the phrase 'botched.'

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Ah right, yeah, you know best.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Another amendment passed in the House of Lords to the Government’s Brexit legislation, limits will be placed on the use of Ministerial ‘Henry VIII’ powers.

The Tories can say goodbye re-writing laws behind closed doors.

A good day for democracy

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Another amendment passed in the House of Lords to the Government’s Brexit legislation, limits will be placed on the use of Ministerial ‘Henry VIII’ powers.

A good day for democracy

What about if Labour God forbid make into power and attempt the same thing. Does your reasoning apply to them as well

Jan 30, 2008

A good day for democracy
so was the referendum result .
regards
DR

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
The RCN Chief Executive is saying this - they know who's registered and working here and who's leaving and why. NHS Trusts are also now having to advertise further afield, such as The Philippines, but nurses from there are subject to Tier 2 Visas which are not automatically granted. This wasn't the intention with Brexit - hence her using the phrase 'botched.'

The RCN is a trade union. The NMC is the registering body.

The RCN knows who's paying their subs and, well, that's it.

I'm an RGN and my registration is £120 quid. Why not just say to UK trained nurses that registration is free, only overseas nurses, who get a £4K signing on fee from a lot of trusts, should pay?

You'd get a lot more trained UK nurses who have left for childcare or whatever, returning if their fees were paid.

If we need trained nurses why are we asking them to pay to work?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What about if Labour God forbid make into power and attempt the same thing. Does your reasoning apply to them as well

If Labour ever get in with that tit in charge...and I'm a dyed in the wool leftie, It would be a national disaster.

6th form politics, and an economy about to leave the EU...dear god.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here