Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Just when I thought they couldn't get any shitter I discover something new which just leaves me shaking my head.

I was planning to WFH on Thursday but it now turns out that I have to be in for the afternoon so I thought I'd look into getting in with as little hassle as possible. I knew they were running two services after 8am from Crowborough in the morning so I thought I'd confirm which ones they were and also look to see how late I could hang about for in the evening to ensure I got the replacement bus service back.

So I went on to National Rail and it showed a full service running in the morning and the evening. So I checked Southern (which I assume is powered by the same engine) and same. I then went and read the dates of the strikes to make sure I hadn't made a mistake and then checked news outlets and here to see if the strike had been cancelled or changed and I hadn't noticed. So finally I tweeted Southern to see what the deal is. They told me that they only update the running schedule 24 hours in advance! So I asked why is it they can let me know about engineering work in the future but not the strikes and was told in case the strikes were cancelled we don't update the timetable until 24 hours before hand.

Given that the strike has been going since April. Southern have no plans of calling things off and aren't talking to either union and the latter are showing no signs of backing down either I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the strike is going to go ahead and won't be cancelled last minute. Even if it was it would be a total cluster**** because staff and rolling stock would not be in the right place.

Granted you probably would have had to have been living under a rock not to know about the strikes if you live round here but not everyone is a regular commuter and not everyone would have the sense to research on train times above the online timetable especially when you are planning to travel in the next couple of days. These jokers serve Gatwick airport, I'm sure Pedro isn't up to speed with the goings on with Southern Rail from his Madrid home.

These ****tards really have to go!

Oh and for the record, left my house 15 minutes earlier than normal this morning. Got to my desk 30 minutes earlier than I normally do. So aside from the petrol it cost me I'm actually better off on a strike day!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
sitting in sunny Lewes, caught a strike day train, some colleagues that drive still not here, 35mins late ...... situation is total madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I thought that "bought 12 weeks since April" thing was about the *extra* compensation that the government announced recently, and does not apply to standard Delay Repay.

You may be correct, but does 'delay repay' cover total shutdown of Southern services?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You may be correct, but does 'delay repay' cover total shutdown of Southern services?

Yes. On a strike day, use 'Strike' as the reason. On other days, use the most appropriate. As you get a % of your 'daily' fare, anyone buying daily or weekly tickets will get more back than those with season tickets. Also, as of next week (well from Sunday) you can claim DR for >15 minutes delay.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Cancellations count in terms of Delay Repay. But if it's planned in maintenance stuff, then no probably not. I've stopped staying on top of the Maintenance schedules given that I stopped using Southern (or any trains) about 18 months ago. Got so sick of their garbage service from Uckfield that I finally went and got my car licence (as a 38 year old...), bought a car, and started driving 130 miles per day (4 days a week) instead. Turns out it's both quicker and cheaper, especially now I have a (hybrid) company car.

Of course, we have our company Christmas knees up Thurs next week and I'll need to train in for that. Not (currently) a strike day, but I'm sure Southern will find a way to ruin the day for me anyway. Uckfield line is marked as "reduced service" due to the overtime ban. Whatever that means...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm NOT a striker you STUPID idiot

Here you go again calling everyone stupid...

Why would that be, I think it is a perfectly reasonable assumption as you have previously stated in this very thread that you have joined the picket line in solidarity.

So that does not make me stupid, just makes you look well whatever.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just when I thought they couldn't get any shitter I discover something new which just leaves me shaking my head.

this is an IT issue, the designers of the national rail system dont seem to have thought through many scenarios. seems they allow an advance notice of works, or updates to immediate ongoing issues. but anything inbetween isnt considered, so there's no way for the system to capture and show a possible problem a day or two away, even though we know it will occur. its similar to how they wont let you look at trains leaving a station in the past so you can work out when it will arrive at a station, or allow you to see alternative routes only direct, or via a station, unless it deems the change time is within x minutes, then will decide you can see the alternative.

btw, the trains will not be running properly Thursday, even if the strike is called off, as happened last time they'll say train stock is out of position, which must be complete ballcocks.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
this is an IT issue, the designers of the national rail system dont seem to have thought through many scenarios. seems they allow an advance notice of works, or updates to immediate ongoing issues. but anything inbetween isnt considered, so there's no way for the system to capture and show a possible problem a day or two away, even though we know it will occur. its similar to how they wont let you look at trains leaving a station in the past so you can work out when it will arrive at a station, or allow you to see alternative routes only direct, or via a station, unless it deems the change time is within x minutes, then will decide you can see the alternative.

btw, the trains will not be running properly Thursday, even if the strike is called off, as happened last time they'll say train stock is out of position, which must be complete ballcocks.

I find NSC more reliable for train info

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The DOO Thameslink services seem to be deficient in the D dept today. Typical. Sadly Grayling and maynard are completely washing their hands of this and there appears to be nothing anyone can do about it. It is utterly maddening.

As for friday, I have the day off to make sure I get to the game hassle free, and it will be bus or walk home for me after.

My only hope is that after the Villa debacle SASTA may actually pull their finger out for once and try and get some decent publicity by heroically coming to everyone's rescue and doing their job for once.

Ironically the 6.57 was cancelled due to a driver shortage on Thameslink :facepalm:

My only hope is that after the Villa debacle SASTA may actually pull their finger out for once and try and get some decent publicity by heroically coming to everyone's rescue and doing their job for once.

Come on mate not a chance in hell!!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Which non-Southern train operators will still be running any kind of service from our neck of the woods on Tuesday (13 Dec)? Any clues?
I need to get up to London mid afternoon and come back early evening. All (sensible) advice welcome.
Here's hoping :eek:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Which non-Southern train operators will still be running any kind of service from our neck of the woods on Tuesday (13 Dec)? Any clues?
I need to get up to London mid afternoon and come back early evening. All (sensible) advice welcome.

The travel advice is that it is Thameslink or nothing from Brighton. Gatwick Express running between Gatwick and Victoria if that is an option.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Does anyone know what the situation will be on Friday? Am looking forward to the fun of coming down and back from London....

The situation on friday is normal service (hence the panic!) . Not a strike day but we have no idea what effect any missed overtime may have on the trains. No trains between Lewes and Seaford.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Where are you ? If you are slightly West I've been using Dorking quite a bit as they have South West services from there

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
this is an IT issue, the designers of the national rail system dont seem to have thought through many scenarios. seems they allow an advance notice of works, or updates to immediate ongoing issues. but anything inbetween isnt considered, so there's no way for the system to capture and show a possible problem a day or two away, even though we know it will occur.

Ahhh ok so I owe Southern an apology as it's the same for all TOCs?

As you say pretty shitty solution then.

its similar to how they wont let you look at trains leaving a station in the past so you can work out when it will arrive at a station, or allow you to see alternative routes only direct, or via a station, unless it deems the change time is within x minutes, then will decide you can see the alternative.

That really annoys me especially on the Uckfield line as something is not quite setup right with Edenbridge Town. The national rail app show you departed about 3 minutes before you've even arrived. Not a huge issue for me but would be bloody annoying if I lived there as I assume close run delay repay claims I guess would be turned down?? It also affects the displays on the platforms as the train is showing as departed so disappears off the board.

I assume you'll know about http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ but if anyone else wants to know about arrival and departure times of trains in the past it's a dead handy site.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Where are you ? If you are slightly West I've been using Dorking quite a bit as they have South West services from there

Thanks, that's a thought. I'm in Worthing, so driving up and getting in from Dorking might be an option.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thanks, that's a thought. I'm in Worthing, so driving up and getting in from Dorking might be an option.

Likewise.

During conductor strike, Haywards Heath, Brighton or Arundel as all have later services as the West coastway stops about 6pm. For driver strike, then Brighton or Dorking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here