Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

Indeed, when it comes to Windows O/S releases;
Flash-man takes immediately and lives on the bleeding edge.
Wise-man takes after Service Pack One and lives on the leading edge.
Man with no computer knowledge waits for Windows 11 to be announced.

There are no such things as Service Packs anymore. Microsoft is updating Windows 10 with faster update cycles. It already has had some updates that improve both functionality, performance and fix bugs etc..

BTW if you wait over a year the free upgrade will no longer be free.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At work we have been told not to upgrade as it isn't supported. That said I have started getting issues with W8.1. Like NSC keeps crashing during the first 5 minutes after I log on. Same old . . .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
i'm a bit of a wally with operating systems but I can tell Windows 10 is better.

I did like Windows 95 though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As a friend of mine in the computer industry (he writes games for mobile phones) said to me wryly "If a company like Microsoft are giving something away for free, you are the product." It's stuffed full of spyware and tracking software, so if you do upgrade, say no to everything. For instance, Microsoft can scan all your emails looking for keywords with which to bombard you with ads, so read the small print.

Is this not the case when you use Google ?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Is this not the case when you use Google ?

Yes, that's why I use Ad-block plus on all but one website. I have a googlemail account but never use it, but I presume if I did, Google would be scanning them automatically. Whenever a commercial company gives something away for free, what is the actual product, the free stuff or the person that uses it?

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
When I upgraded it no longer recognized my printer. Printer site said it had no intention of updating driver. So I had to get rid of a perfectly good printer (including spare cartridges:tantrum:) and buy a new one. Other than that happy with 10 but I was just as happy with 7, 95, XP...............................

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I have windows 10 on my 2 laptops, Microsoft surface 3 and 2 windows phones. I love it. very easy to use. Microsoft edge (internet browser) is speedy and simple

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, that's why I use Ad-block plus on all but one website. I have a googlemail account but never use it, but I presume if I did, Google would be scanning them automatically. Whenever a commercial company gives something away for free, what is the actual product, the free stuff or the person that uses it?

Me too, I virtually never open it as I have not given the address to anyone, all I ever get is crap from google.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I have windows 10 on my work laptop and hate it. It's probably because I only use it at work and was so used to my other lap tops having older editions (think the inlaws are still on 98).

But I can see benefits to it, I've only been on it a couple of months so am sure that as time goes by I will grow to like it.

Hitting the windows button and that flaming menu screen coming up is my main gripe. I am used to a good old fashioned bar . Also everything is in full screen and hard to minimise.

As a side note, I am 27 so should embrace this stuff but I have the grumpiness of a 85 year old

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I have windows 10 on my work laptop and hate it. It's probably because I only use it at work and was so used to my other lap tops having older editions (think the inlaws are still on 98).

But I can see benefits to it, I've only been on it a couple of months so am sure that as time goes by I will grow to like it.

Hitting the windows button and that flaming menu screen coming up is my main gripe. I am used to a good old fashioned bar . Also everything is in full screen and hard to minimise.

As a side note, I am 27 so should embrace this stuff but I have the grumpiness of a 85 year old

on windows 10 you have the bar at the bottom in normal laptop mode and then you can switch to tablet mode which brings up the tiles on the screen. you may still be in tablet mode??? even if the pc isn't a tablet it can still run tablet mode

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
When I upgraded it no longer recognized my printer. Printer site said it had no intention of updating driver. So I had to get rid of a perfectly good printer (including spare cartridges:tantrum:) and buy a new one. Other than that happy with 10 but I was just as happy with 7, 95, XP...............................

Sounds familiar. Out of interest, what make was your old printer?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Wisest man uses Linux.
But has no friends due to his odd and disturbing choice.

28 here and the first time I saw Windows 8 I wanted to throw the laptop through the...well...window. I'm not leaving 7 until I absolutely have to.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
But has no friends due to his odd and disturbing choice.

An odd and disturbing reply. Have you tried Linux recently?

No he bloody doesn't! I have to use that crap every day, pile of shit!

Well, it depends what you have to do with it. What don't you like? I have to use Windows every day, and hate it, but there's some software that just won't run on Linux.

I've recently installed Linux Mint on a netbook, a laptop, and a PC - all old hardware, and it worked perfectly on all of them. Took 30 minutes to load from scratch, including office software, and most everything you'd need. You might upgrade to Windows 10 in that time, but eventually you'll spend an afternoon trying to do a clean install to undo the "slowdown".

Back on subject, are there any options to do a clean install of Windows 10? If / when I have to have it, I suspect I'll end up buying a disk and spending that afternoon...

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Capture.PNG

this is what windows 10 looks like

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here