Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber? Cheaper, more convenient, cleaner?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It's absolutely ****ing everything. Ask them anything and they'll have an opinion on it.
Misty eyed bollocks imho. The majority are frustrated white english men with a chip on their shoulder, believing London owes them a favour.....

I used to take a hell of a lot of black cabs and yes the drivers have done the knowledge. But as sad as it is, that's irrelevant now with satnav, you have to move with the times. Time now for black cabs to adapt their business model to become competitive again.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Background checks by UBER are very lax and quite easy to avoid altogether. I am not saying council/city registered cab drivers are all manned by squeaky clean drivers but, I do worry about my daughter sometimes with UBER.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I did get in a heavy-fart-filled uber t'other day, but the driver went a little faster than another more cleanly-scented ubermobile doing the identical route a few days before, so I only lessened his rating by one.
Have had some brilliant bargainsome drives with them over the last few months and they're well worth it, in spite of that one-time beguffetry. These are journeys I would never get into a black cab for.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I did get in a heavy-fart-filled uber t'other day, but the driver went a little faster than another more cleanly-scented ubermobile doing the identical route a few days before, so I only lessened his rating by one.
Have had some brilliant bargainsome drives with them over the last few months and they're well worth it, in spite of that one-time beguffetry. These are journeys I would never get into a black cab for.

Have fun, I guess you get what you want to pay for. It's all about the money.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Technology has moved the game here, as in many industries. With proper licensing there is no reason why this shouldnt be as safe as amy other taxi option. Cabbies will have to get their act together, including lowering the price a bit. The days of pick up monopoly is over

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Always interesting to see these kind of topics on nsc. Brighton is definitely way behind London in a lot of trends. Uber is one of those, I believe it's coming to Brighton soon and will do with well. It's been life changing for me, and has made me a lot lazier in London and I use it a lot abroad as well. It's so much cheaper than black cabs.

As for the guy asking whether uber will do London to Brighton, they will......I got one for £110 .... Incredible value.

Blimey if your choice of cab is life-changing you have a pretty dull life.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's quite interesting really as it really is a 2 sided story.
If you can still watch it on some sort of catch up the Tonight programme on ITV did 30 mins on uber and tells you everything you need to know about their drivers and how it all works.

With regard to satnav it's a fair point and one I put to my bro in law.
But if there is congestion or an accident the cabbie with the knowledge would instantly know the best alternative route around back streets and residential areas, in London satnavs do not always work that well and give the best route.
Also the cost of uber fluctuates depending on demand and is not always cheaper.
Anyhows there are many opinions and arguments brewing up especially in London so try and watch that programme if you are interested.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The idea of Uber is great but I've had much better experience in the US.

The UK standard of cars is much worse, and you are lucky if you get a driver that speaks much English.

At work we've also had a number of issues, particularly with women that meant they have blocked it and won't pay expenses on Uber on HR advice which is slightly worrying.

It did save my life when my local cab didn't turn up at Heathrow after a 12 hour flight and needed 2 hours to get to me. They were about 15% more than my local cab but driver couldn't believe he had a 140 mile round trip for £90, he can't have even made money on the trip !

Jul 7, 2003
I hear that the surrounding streets around Heathrow are chocker with uber cabs and residents can't park.

Not just Uber cabs. I know of several local cabbies who park up there when waiting for Heathrow pick ups as it is cheaper for the customer than having to pay for waiting in the car parks. If they have a drop off and pick up then it makes sense to stay in the area.

There are many local businesses which benefit from this trade such as the local cafes and take aways,

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The idea of Uber is great but I've had much better experience in the US.

I agree. I use Uber all the time in New York and the service is very good. When I’ve used it in London it’s OK but just not in the same league.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
When uberring you can turn down options or drivers based on their ratings so you could have checked that first but still no guarantees I guess.

The guy was perfectly nice and had a 4.7 score. What surprised me was my kids assuring me how easy it would be (true) and how much cheaper too (not true).

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Would they über from London to Brighton ? Just asking as late night gigs in London are a pain to get back from sometimes, and I'm getting old !

I'd guess so, you Uber when you need the cab, so impossible to be certain, but I'd be surprised if not...

KT17

Apr 19, 2014

I'm a Teutophile but sometimes their urge to regulate impinges on free trade and I think this is an instance. God bless the UK for allowing the free trade context for ideas like Uber to bloom, say I, irrespective of the qualities of the business. And as to 'the knowledge'? Is this not an expensive anachronism in the sat-nav age?

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Background checks by UBER are very lax and quite easy to avoid altogether. I am not saying council/city registered cab drivers are all manned by squeaky clean drivers but, I do worry about my daughter sometimes with UBER.

She knows more about the driver than she does a cabbie/taxi cab driver...

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
They give you an estimate before you book.

So you must have known that would be the price.

If they have overcharged you, then you can make a claim against your credit card company.

TB

They didn't, and the driver, when asked, said 'if I said, I could be wrong'..!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They didn't, and the driver, when asked, said 'if I said, I could be wrong'..!

The app gives you an estimate when you book

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
The app gives you an estimate when you book

I'll check with my son - who booked it - but he said he didn't know, nor did the driver... odd. Mind you there are tolls at Stansted and QE2 bridge that might make estimations more difficult. If I'm wrong I'll gladly correct.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've used Uber over 50 times and you always get an estimate before you actually book it. Have a look now and try , but obviously don't book !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here