Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes, The Latest: Ashley Barnes Signs for Burnley *Confirmation*

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Nuts. I am starting to believe in the word of BW. I bow before thee BW. Next up i'll be bloody hating Europe with Rivet and his fearmongering sort!
Arrrghh!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
The more I think about it, with March coming through, Orlandi getting fitter, and Obika signing, do we need to sign another striker permanently when we play with just 1 up front normally?

I don't think so, although it would still be good to get a proven Championship goalscorer in is Barnes does go.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I wouldn't be so sure BB. If the club knew Ash was off they would have gone out and got a replacement sorted... they have - Obika, initially for a month probably for the rest of the season.

That's what I reckon... depressing aren't I?

Obika has been the plan for ages though hasn't he. Maybe it's just Lita out, Obika in. Selling Ash with no-one coming in would weaken us in two areas (up front and left side.) Can't believe we would do that.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nuts. I am starting to believe in the word of BW. I bow before thee BW. Next up i'll be bloody hating Europe with Rivet and his fearmongering sort!
Arrrghh!

Really no need.

There were limited approaches

-Keep Barnes, benefit from him til the end of the season, hope his contribution to the team helped us get promotion then discuss the contract situation, possibly lose him for nothing, that may be offset by reward of making the premier league, or cheaper (than January window) transfer fees for his replacement in the championship

-Sell Barnes, pocket the money for him now, try to get a replacement in so we don't miss the attributes he brings in and hope we come out better for it

-Sell Barnes, miss out on the play offs because we didn't get a enough goals, or started to concede due to poor defence at set pieces or constantly being under the cosh at the end of games with no one winning free kicks at the opposition end to ease the pressure and give our defence a break, etc.

-Offer Barnes a better deal, that we might not be able to afford now, might lock in a player who might not be used if we get promoted, but would be a burden on the wage bill, etc

BW didn't proclaim inside information, just a preference for which of the above tactics he'd prefer. He wasn't alone.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Naylor reporting LEEDS in the frame for Barnes too.

Madness..

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Surely it indicates that we have learned about the mistake made with Murray. We are selling him for 1m now instead of letting his contract run out in the summer and getting nothing.

Besides, Barnes is not the key to promotion for us. Ulloa is the key man, playing alongside wingers that can provide the crosses for him put away: Conway, KLL and possibly Buckley.

We cannot afford to rely on Ulloa alone to score goals-look at West Ham (snigger) and what sh1t they're in without Andy Carroll. I'd like to see another goal scorer alongside Ulloa if for nothing else than to keep Leo out of the limelight a little.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Really no need.

There were limited approaches

-Keep Barnes, benefit from him til the end of the season, hope his contribution to the team helped us get promotion then discuss the contract situation, possibly lose him for nothing, that may be offset by reward of making the premier league, or cheaper (than January window) transfer fees for his replacement in the championship

-Sell Barnes, pocket the money for him now, try to get a replacement in so we don't miss the attributes he brings in and hope we come out better for it

-Sell Barnes, miss out on the play offs because we didn't get a enough goals, or started to concede due to poor defence at set pieces or constantly being under the cosh at the end of games with no one winning free kicks at the opposition end to ease the pressure and give our defence a break, etc.

-Offer Barnes a better deal, that we might not be able to afford now, might lock in a player who might not be used if we get promoted, but would be a burden on the wage bill, etc

BW didn't proclaim inside information, just a preference for which of the above tactics he'd prefer. He wasn't alone.

Thanks Acker. I am now back in your congregation. *sip*
:)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here