Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How big can we become?

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I don't understand why those Burnley fans are so bitter, they're having a great season surely they should focus on enjoying that. If we have a season like they have had next year I'll be pleased. I think we can go as far, realistically as an established side with a good youth academy like Southampton.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
No. But the current WHL is small and Spurs have been in the top 6 for numerous years.

I'll just about buy Spurs as the exception that proves the rule. Six years in top 6 with 36k capacity is a fine achievement but surely their acknowledged need to increase capacity does prove my point: you cannot SUSTAIN a top 6 with a capacity of 30k. Post is about how good we can go; We can go to top as Leicester as a one-off but to SUSTAIN a top 6 requires a capacity >30k.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'll just about buy Spurs as the exception that proves the rule. Six years in top 6 with 36k capacity is a fine achievement but surely their acknowledged need to increase capacity does prove my point: you cannot SUSTAIN a top 6 with a capacity of 30k. Post is about how good we can go; We can go to top as Leicester as a one-off but to SUSTAIN a top 6 requires a capacity >30k.

I personally think you are looking to much into crowd figures/stadium sizes.

Sunderland/Newcastle/Villa are in the top 10 ground sizes in the U.K. And only one of those will be in the PL next year.

It may have been more important a few years ago, but less so now.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Yes! This does have the whiff of a thread that will get bounced in a years time, when we are worrying about getting past Derby and their record of fewest Premier League points (11 - and just 22 goals).

Let's set ourselves one target at a time.

Loving to bounce threads--this thread is well marked for the future at this moment.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bigger than Palace, Watford, or Bournemouth
As big as Stoke, Southampton, West Brom, West Ham, or Leicester
Not as big as Arsenal, Spurs, United, City, Chelsea, Everton or Newcastle

Pardon.....

Newcastle :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The team currently in 2nd place in the Championship :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

We could never aspire to be bigger than than them :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Come on fella, your a smart enough chap to know big does not mean how many buffoons you have turning up week in week out to see you kick a ball about and I hope your not implying that, because they don't have a great recent history in trophy department either.

There are countless teams like Wigan who have won something recently that we can surpass.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Chelsea, liverpool, spurs, all will have 60k stadiums soon. Only going to get tougher playing away to them teams.

Focus on survival and try and nick the carling cup!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
This BIG

tittie-bounce3.gif

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I personally think you are looking to much into crowd figures/stadium sizes.

Sunderland/Newcastle/Villa are in the top 10 ground sizes in the U.K. And only one of those will be in the PL next year.

It may have been more important a few years ago, but less so now.

Bang on. Because of what we charge, and the demand, our gate receipts are on a par with (more than half) Barcelona's and Bayern Munich's already. Much more income is attainable for all top tier clubs via the telly versus the gate, and the merchandising. The reason the ManUs of this world steal a march is because of the latter. Their merchandising (shirt sales etc) is staggering.

So while we develop the football side of things I would also be actively working on marketing, with a view to making the coolest city in the UK the marque for the coolest football club in the world. And why the ****not?

Ketchy

Steve Fosters Sweat Band
May 19, 2009
Seaford
Battle to stay in the prem for next 2-3 seasons or worst case would be drop down and bounce up again until we established.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Am I the only one who hates the lazy construct 'big club'?

If you mean how high can we finish; what size crowds could we attain; what could be our regular away support; could we play in Europe; what could our turnover reach, then say so.

Big is a fig leaf for underperforming clubs to hid behind.

PG

21_07_19_758_dance_club_large.jpg

Suddenly I'm hungry.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I like the optimism on this thread, but I hope that CH saying there won't be big changes to the squad is just the club playing its cards close to its chest.

If we don't bring in 3 or 4 players I can see us going straight back down. Team spirit will not be enough to survive in the top league.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I like the optimism on this thread, but I hope that CH saying there won't be big changes to the squad is just the club playing its cards close to its chest.

If we don't bring in 3 or 4 players I can see us going straight back down. Team spirit will not be enough to survive in the top league.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

100% this.
Some of you will be in for a big shock if you start the new season without new quality players.
If you're near the bottom and struggling, EVERY game will be tough, trust me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here