Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you live in Worthing?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A discussion would have been nice, instead I get pathetic comments directed at me.
Like I said, I find it amusing that some people act so precious when someone doesn't like the area they live in. It's like I've killed their cat or something.
I live in Brighton, I like Brighton, if you don't then who cares? To each their own. I personally think that in terms of places I've lived, Worthing comes in (quite fittingly) at number 2, just behind lancing.
Some people on here just seem to be incapable of having a grown up conversation, makes me laugh.
You are trying to sound reasonable now. Your initial posts were very unreasonable. 'The biggest toilet in Sussex'. That doesn't sound very adult or likely to cause mature discussion.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
You are trying to sound reasonable now. Your initial posts were very unreasonable. 'The biggest toilet in Sussex'. That doesn't sound very adult or likely to cause mature discussion.

My opinion of Worthing was obviously taken as a personal attack by some of the overly sensitive on here. It's obvious that if you disagree with people on here that it means they can abuse you, so let's just all agree that Worthing is a wondrous place full of happy faces, has no problems at all and everyone should live there.
That should keep people happy.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
My opinion of Worthing was obviously taken as a personal attack by some of the overly sensitive on here. It's obvious that if you disagree with people on here that it means they can abuse you, so let's just all agree that Worthing is a wondrous place full of happy faces, has no problems at all and everyone should live there.

Your original comment wasn't really worthy of a discussion though was it?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Your original comment wasn't really courting a discussion though was it?

No you're right, I was wrong for having an opinion on a forum, how very dare I.
But I've rectified that now by retracting everything I said to keep the eyes dry of the upset locals.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Grew up in Worthing, lived a couple of other places. Currently living and working in London, am only 23.

Definitely my most favorite place to live Worthing. Have to admit I do enjoy coming back and one day wouldn't mind settling down here again.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
But I've rectified that now by retracting everything I said to keep the eyes dry of the upset locals.

If you want a discussion, it is normally best to ask a few questions....

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

You sound very stressed...May I suggest you go for a massage with a 'happy ending'.... There is a place in Worthing that does this I believe....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I moved away from Worthing a few weeks ago because its the biggest toilet in Sussex.
Everywhere stinks of weed, drunks in the street, robberies, stabbings, every scumbag seems to know every other scumbag, dog shit all over the place......happy to have moved away, shame I work there so I have to travel back there every day.

I can easily think of 5 places in Sussex far worse.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
If you say so.
Some people like to bury their heads and say everything is rosey, others look at the real world and say it as it is.
My life is, and always has been happier away from the cesspit called Worthing.
And thanks for the kiss sweetheart ��

I reckon the residents of Worthing are celebrating the fact you have moved away. Hopefully you can find work elsewhere as well

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Let's break this down:

You describe Worthing as a "toilet" and make sweeping generalisations about its inhabitants, cleanliness, odours etc.

You further insinuate that there's criminals everywhere stabbing and robbing with wanton abandon.

People then, quite correctly, challenge you on these remarks which prompts you to embark on a spectacular flounce and yet it's other people who are over-sensitive?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I reckon the residents of Worthing are celebrating the fact you have moved away. Hopefully you can find work elsewhere as well

I rest my case about the pathetic comments.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you have a favourite haunt or a pet hate? The Guardian are featuring Worthing in their weekly "Let's move to" series so if you do email lets.move@theguardian.com by next Tuesday.

Here's a previous article if you want a flavour of what the article is like https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jul/22/lets-move-to-abingdon-oxfordshire-tom-dyckhoff

And here's the previous "Let's move to...Worthing, West Sussex" > https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2006/nov/18/homes1

"Perfect for thirtysomethings priced out of Brighton (loads cheaper and far less skanky), Worthing's always been a cut above and has never suffered the seediness of other south-coast seasides."

Does every town get a go once every 10 years?

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I grew up in worthing, moved to London & then returned 'home' to Sussex in hove. If I hadn't got a family & friends in hove with kids at school I would happily return there - but can't due to:
Extra London commute time
Wouldn't want to start again - new contacts / friends
'Slightly' less going for it socially than Brighton & hove

But if I did I would have:
A more child friendly beach
A much bigger house with a garage & big garden
& possibly a jet ski
To endure endless traffic jams everytime I left worthing

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I lived in Shoreham for the first 25 years of the life, with a couple of stays in Southsea / Portsmouth whilst at Uni. Since 25 I've lived in Worthing and I love the place. When I first moved here, all of 23 years ago, it was a quiet place, clean and tidy, but with a large ageing population. It DID have 3 or 4 night-clubs, which was fine, but few really good pubs.

Ironically, Worthing has very few clubs (although I'm too old to attend in all honesty) but it does have a lot of new and interesting pubs and restaurants.

Worthing has it less appetising areas, but it's miles less grimy and squalid than large parts of Brighton.

Worthing in my view, is on a marked upswing, with money being invested both public and private. The seafront is now a great place to spend an evening, with a really array of places to eat and drink, and that will only encourage more investment, and more businesses to open up.

Also, the influx of elderly retirees in the 50s to 70s have now departed this mortal coil, and the demographic is much younger, which hopefully will drive planning policy a little more and we'll get the sort of developments to meet everyone's needs, not just building flats.

Having been a convert to Worthing, I love it. AND it's safe and perfect to bring up kids.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Worthing born and bred. Spent 15 years away in North Somerset and Bristol, and didn't expect to ever return, but here I am with my son going to The Vale as I did myself many years ago.

We live in Findon and spend very little time in and around the town centre, not going there from one week to the next. It's not brilliant for shopping and we head to Brighton as the variety there is that much richer.

The food and drink scene in Worthing has improved markedly over the last few years, and continues to do so. There are a large number of decent pubs now, and the list seems to be growing nearly every month. Nothing on Brighton, obviously, but enough to keep things interesting.

There does seem to be a growing 'street drinker' problem, however and I certainly watch carefully in the shadows on the seafront by Splashpoint after dark when out for a run. I'd read about there being some unsavoury incidents. "The Worthing Journal" page on Facebook often writes about them: https://www.facebook.com/permalink....5899833&id=160644263970746&match=ZHJpbmtlcg== although it always comes across as a bit Daily Mail.

Only last week in Brighton in the middle of the day I was walking back to the station and there was a large group of police surrounding 2 people who I would make a guess at being homeless and it was all kicking off massively. Drink and/or drugs had clearly been taken. I've never seen that in Worthing.

I was also surprised, on Worthing Pier a couple of weeks ago, for there to be a group of lads who I'd put as 13-14 openly smoking a joint, only pausing for one of them to phone his Mum and ask "is it alright if I stay out until 8?" Maybe I'm a bit naive and this is par for the course nowadays.

So, it has good bits and less good bits, but I suspect there are considerably worse places to live, both in Sussex and beyond.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Worthing to be fair is not a bad place.
It has a nice prom, some good pubs / bars as well as eateries.
However, Montague Street has declined over the years,
The Guildbourne Centre needs a revamp and Teville Gate is an eyesore.
There are some unsavouries like all places, but there are far worse places in the world to live.
Also Worthing is more Albion than Brighton.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Worthing to be fair is not a bad place.
It has a nice prom, some good pubs / bars as well as eateries.
However, Montague Street has declined over the years,
The Guildbourne Centre needs a revamp and Teville Gate is an eyesore.
There are some unsavouries like all places, but there are far worse places in the world to live.
Also Worthing is more Albion than Brighton.

Very true - that's because we haven't seen the same level of London migration as Brighton, plus of course a lot of people originally from Brighton have been forced out as the cost of living rose

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here