• Other (please state)

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I didn't know that. Have they ever been asked why they don't?

... but still don't know how the FA can be blamed for the lack of English managers in the PL. As someone says above, they can't make teams take Englishmen

It is not just the PL though, when was the last time Brighton had an English manager? Slade?

Its started to drop through the leagues

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I look back fondly on the football we played in '98. Was that just a fluke?

Not that I feel the need for an English manager. I'd probably get Alex Ferguson in. He said he couldn't bear the thought of leading England out against Scotland at Hampden Park, so I'd just write into his contract that he could have the day off for such a game - it's unlikely we'd play there in the next few years anyway.

10th June next year.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I didn't know that. Have they ever been asked why they don't?

When I say 'within their power', what I mean is - they have the resources to buy up land / pitches which would otherwise be sold off. Though your follow-up question would still be pertinent; 'why don't they...?'

... but still don't know how the FA can be blamed for the lack of English managers in the PL. As someone says above, they can't make teams take Englishmen

They could if they made the coaching courses more accessible and less costly (as they have done across Spain, Germany, France etc.) - thereby making the talent pool that much deeper.

The Englishmen who become managers in the PL are generally players who have only played in England. Counter that with managers from overseas, and their experience and variety of styles is going to be that much greater. One of the reasons why English players don't play abroad is because the pay is much better here. And why is that? Because the FA threw its lot in with the PL and Sky to create an unbalanced and distorted playing field financially.

So I'd say the FA does have some culpability here.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Hoddle for me,I think he has unfinished business with the England job,he has the respect of the players(look at the ex England players supporting him,shearer,liniker,wrighty,Southgate),tactically aware,played at the highest level,managed at the highest level.
Big Sam,what's he gonna do,keep us up!!!! Never played or managed in Europe,very one dimensional but hey he'll motivate the players to play for there country,only one of the finest honours a player can reach!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They could if they made the coaching courses more accessible and less costly (as they have done across Spain, Germany, France etc.) - thereby making the talent pool that much deeper.

The Englishmen who become managers in the PL are generally players who have only played in England. Counter that with managers from overseas, and their experience and variety of styles is going to be that much greater. One of the reasons why English players don't play abroad is because the pay is much better here. And why is that? Because the FA threw its lot in with the PL and Sky to create an unbalanced and distorted playing field financially.

So I'd say the FA does have some culpability here.

I don't think it's the cost of training courses that's the main problem - Level 1 and Level 2 aren't that expensive and if you want to go higher, the club will bear some of the cost.

My guess (and I don't know if there's been any research in this) is that time is more of a factor. I took my Level 2 cricket qualification over six Saturdays in the winter - Sussex had tried to set up evening courses but they had no take-up for them, people couldn't get back from London in time. After day's work, it's not always easy to give up several hours to learn coaching skills, particularly if you've had a commute too.

With the long close season, it was easy enough to do a cricket qualification but football has a much shorter lay-off, it's not always so easy to find the time. But I don't know if this is the case, cost may play a part and there could be other factors too.

And I'm not sure that Sky money is solely to blame for English players not going abroad. Even before the PL, there weren't many going for long spells to Italy or Spain. Money plays a part, it's true, but I'd guess that a lack of language skill also comes into it.

I take your point about the FA throwing its lot in with Sky but don't forget that one of the reasons for doing so was the enmity between the FA and the FL. Yes, the FA takes some of the blame but the FL isn't an innocent party either. There are many people responsible for the mess that English football has got itself into

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Jose Mourinho would have been an interesting choice. Obviously not available at the moment.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The manager is not the problem it goes deeper then that.

And the longer it goes on, the less I care. Every new tournament brings new levels of embarrassment to England supporters.

Like him or loathe him, Ronaldo showed more skill, passion and desire to win for his country than the entire England team. Why can he do that when the likes of Rooney, Kane, etc., etc., do nothing more than embarrass themselves?

Doesn't matter who the England manager is any more. English players are years behind other nations when it comes to skill and dedication. How can anybody turn that into a winning team?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Really ? Based on what (other than he's foreign so "he must be good").

I think Bielsa would have chosen a young and pressing/attacking side and given them the passion 'normal' people would have putting on the shirt. He'd also stand up to the FA cronies etc. and not stand on sentiment but be forward thinking.

#justhavingmyviews

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Actually, the FA has it within its power to buy up pitches which are being sold off, and preserve them for anything from grassroots to premium coaching. But instead, they wash their hands of it - claiming 'it's not our fault...'.

They could be far more pro-active in the top to bottom preservation and promotion of the game. But they aren't - they've thrown their lot in with the Premier League, at the expense of most of the rest of English football.

I'm in no way defending the FA as they've done close to sod all to protect and enhance grassroots football BUT while the idea of them buying pitches put up for sale seems good, I can imagine every council in the land suddenly putting all their pitches up for sale. They would see the prize as no longer having to maintain them and a lump sum in the bank. I think that would stretch the vast wealth of even the FA !

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I'm in no way defending the FA as they've done close to sod all to protect and enhance grassroots football BUT while the idea of them buying pitches put up for sale seems good, I can imagine every council in the land suddenly putting all their pitches up for sale. They would see the prize as no longer having to maintain them and a lump sum in the bank. I think that would stretch the vast wealth of even the FA !

Pitches would be owned and maintained by the FA, and an assumption that the they are run on a local level in a partnership (and not one which means Coca-Cola and McDonald's hoardings are everywhere) between community groups, local authorities and the FA.

The willingness of volunteers is there. The willingness of the FA isn't - and that needs to change.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think Bielsa would have chosen a young and pressing/attacking side and given them the passion 'normal' people would have putting on the shirt. He'd also stand up to the FA cronies etc. and not stand on sentiment but be forward thinking.

#justhavingmyviews

I think thats a lot of guesswork and assumption. He could just as easily turn out to be another Capello.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here