Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Who will be our next Prime Minister?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
More delay whilst the selfish self-serving Conservatives play out their game whilst the country suffers. Every single Tory, MP or voter, should hang their head in utter shame.

Correct, some Tory MPs are a disgrace over this and will lose out when there is a next General Election

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Norway and Switzerland have economic trade deals with the EU along with Monaco, Liechtenstein, San Marino and other relative newbies like Serbia and Montenegro etc.
Not having problems like Greece and Italy.
Keeping the pound was handy.

Keeping the pound was proof that we still have sovereignty and able to make our own decisions, whilst still cooperating with 27 other countries.

Australia is one of the countries blocking us trading under WTO rules, if we crash out with No Deal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree entirely, the trouble is I have no confidence in whoever replaces her or even if a different party gets in.

Certainly feels that the political scene in this country is at its lowest ebb in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And exactly at a time when it needed to be at its best. I think the Queen needs to step in, and I’m not joking. She should start by banning every current MP and starting afresh.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The letters are in, and a leadership challenge tonight.
158 votes against and she's gone.

That's the maths. Will 158 vote against her knowing that there aren't many candidates to replace her. It's taken an age to get the letters in and whilst there will be a number of MPs who will ride on the back of those that did submit them will it be enough to achieve their goal! May couldn't get a majority in the house to support her plan but that doesn't mean she won't get the support of sitting Tory MPs to stay in power! Isn't Margaret Thatcher the only sitting Tory PM to have lost a challenge?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
True enough. But I would assert that your point is akin to saying “apart from the plays and poems, Shakespeare was a terrible writer”.

Not really. Shakespeare was only a writer whereas with Churchill he was both a PM during a war and during peace. Two very different situations.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The poisoned chalice, good luck to whoever it is because you’re going to need it.

D

Deleted member 22389

The job is a poisoned chalice for whoever gets it right now, with Boris being the last choice IMHO, as he is a useless clown.
A second referendum on Brexit would make a you a laughing stock internationally, there was a democratic vote and the Brexit camp won, stop stalling and leave as soon as possible.

:thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would love it if just after the vote of no confidence, no matter which way it goes, Theresa May, announces, that whilst in Europe, she revoked Article 50.
She can the stick two fingers up to her own party, and flounce out.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not really. Shakespeare was only a writer whereas with Churchill he was both a PM during a war and during peace. Two very different situations.

Not quite true - Shakespeare was also a very well known actor and impressario too. Yet it is for his his writing that he is remembered today. It’s quite possible that in 500 years’ time Churchill will be very largely remembered for his role in WWII, with his other, rather less successful, positions in politics being a footnote.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
If you saw an advert in Autotrader for a perfect condition, fully taxed and MOT’d for 11 months 2010 VW Golf and you discussed it with your wife and both decided that’s the car for you but when you went to view it it turned out to be a 1992 VW Polo untaxed with 1 months MOT and extensive chassis rust what would you do? Shrug and say “well we decided fair and square that’s the car we wanted, we can’t change our minds now, come on kids, in the back, we are sticking with it”.
Of course you ****ing wouldn’t.

Gear lever means gear lever...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Boris Johnson is keeping an extremely low profile at the moment. He's had his haircut, and is sitting quietly, just waiting to pounce.

If he becomes leader he will swifty, after a general election, deliver up the third of my predictions made several years ago on here, that Trump would become president, the UK would vote leave, and that Corbyn would become prime minister. Three things I didn't want but thought, people being self-indulgent, lazy and dazzled by populism, would come to pass.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you saw an advert in Autotrader for a perfect condition, fully taxed and MOT’d for 11 months 2010 VW Golf and you discussed it with your wife and both decided that’s the car for you but when you went to view it it turned out to be a 1992 VW Polo untaxed with 1 months MOT and extensive chassis rust what would you do? Shrug and say “well we decided fair and square that’s the car we wanted, we can’t change our minds now, come on kids, in the back, we are sticking with it”.
Of course you ****ing wouldn’t.

This.

However I admire May for what she has been doing. She is the most honorable and loyal (to the people) PM I can ever recall (despite some of the shit headed things she did previously as secretary of state). Personally I agree with the post above that doing what she has done (trying to fit a square peg in a round hole) was stark staring bonkers, but I feel that a great deal of tory philosophy is mad (or has been); admiration for a class system, support for nimbys, opposition to the NHS, a desire to reduce taxes (so that there isn't enough money to run national institutions like the NHS and the military), a view that moneymen should not be restricted in their practices by laws.......all mad. As a tory, therefore, her tenacity to see through a stupid thing because the people voted for it, regardless that it was a polo not a golf to borrow from the above, is admirable. In South Africa when a white Afrikaaner with a bit of land loses his money, he typically gets one of his guns and systematically murders his kids, his wife, and finally himself. It is understandable and admirable.....except it is also disgusting and mad. Yes, Theresa May is both admirable and also disgusting and mad. Sadly she will be succeeded by someone even more disgusting and mad. Boris, probably.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
The job is a poisoned chalice for whoever gets it right now, with Boris being the last choice IMHO, as he is a useless clown.
A second referendum on Brexit would make a you a laughing stock internationally, there was a democratic vote and the Brexit camp won, stop stalling and leave as soon as possible.

Didn't think my first post on NSC wouldn't be about football but I travel a lot with work and I'm yet to visit a country that doesn't already think we're a laughing stock. From the Middle East to South America, from Scandinavia to Asia there's total disbelief amongst businesses and "ordinary people" that a country would do what we're doing and not be taking to the streets over the incompetence of our Government. I was with Cubans last week and they feel sorry for the people of Britain throwing away an imperfect but incredible relationship with the EU and gaining nothing tangible in return. When Cubans feel sorry for us and assume we're living under some kind of dictatorship because (quote) "no-one thinking of the best interests of Britain would do this to you" it's hard not to agree with them.

Then try explaning to them the class system and how that means Johnson and Rees-Mogg are taken by some as being more authoritative and believable on trade and what it means for employment than the head of Nissan UK or Glaxo and they just laugh at our medieval mindset!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Having another vote about who should be leader of the country ?

They had one just after the referendum.

What are they, some sort of undemocratic loons ? © [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here