Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spot the ball

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Also remember something my dad used to run as a charity fund raiser. It was called Pontoon, and I think it was run by The Sunday People. Basic premise was each player was assigned two teams, and over a set period of time, 6 weeks I think it was though could be wrong, the player whose 2 teams scored nearest to 21 goals won, with a bigger prize for 21 exactly. The paper used to publish a full list of teams and the number of goals they'd scored.

They used to do the pontoon at the fishermans club in the arches on the seafront.

A mate of my uncle was a football pools and spot the ball agent around Brighton. If the pools money didn't tally, he'd square it up using spot the ball takings....:lolol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
circa Sept 1988

south-stand.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Remember my dear old grandad poring over Spot the Ball for ages before putting his 6ds worth of tiny crosses on the pic (after he'd spent even longer selecting his 10 draws) for the coupon collector who came round (Thursday evening from memory). We then had the high drama of everyone having to SHUT UP whilst the BBC announcer the results out around 5pm on Saturday (I used to spend every Saturday with my grandparents, along with my two cousins as both my and their parents worked on Saturdays)

He continued this well into his 80s. Same routine. Would always talk about how he was going to spend his winnings.

He won **** all. Must have been 60+ years of doing it (excluding 39-45 where he was busy elsewhere)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
6 posts gone and no photo of Peter Beardsley yet? NSC has gone downhill.

Just been looking, fruitlessly, for a vid that part of an episode of Bottom where Richie....well you can guess the rest. :lolol:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The Big Issue still do a version of STB, where you just select from a grid.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I won 4th prize on the national spot the ball in 1983 won £500 a lot of dosh back then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here