Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
For what ir's worth my top 7 films of the year are, and I can't see this changing now

1. The Shape of Water - 98
2. Three Billboards - 93
3. Ready Player One - 92
4. Bohemian Rhapsody - 91
4. A Star of Born - 91
6. Mamma Mia, here we go again, yes really it is great - 89
7. The Darkest Hour - 88

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You have nailed it here fella. Meade seems to hate cinema in general and in particular hollywood films. I really do not know why he puts himself through it

No. I’m sure he can stick up for himself should he wish or care to but what MB does is go and see a lot of films and take chances on less publicised fare. This way one , by law of odds will see a lot of films you might not like as much. Whereas you only ever go to see films specifically aimed at you that you have researched and know you will like so inevitably you end up liking your safe choices. Just look at your list for this year, all well received, well publicised , safe choices. Yeah, you’ll get to see stuff you know you will like but you dont get any nice surprises either.

However, you have ruled yourself out of any serious film debate by having A Dog’s Purpose as one of your favourite films of all time.

I like you US but I really don’t think you should be critical of anyone’s views on films.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No. I’m sure he can stick up for himself should he wish or care to but what MB does is go and see a lot of films and take chances on less publicised fare. This way one , by law of odds will see a lot of films you might not like as much. Whereas you only ever go to see films specifically aimed at you that you have researched and know you will like so inevitably you end up liking your safe choices. Just look at your list for this year, all well received, well publicised , safe choices. Yeah, you’ll get to see stuff you know you will like but you dont get any nice surprises either.

However, you have ruled yourself out of any serious film debate by having A Dog’s Purpose as one of your favourite films of all time.

I like you US but I really don’t think you should be critical of anyone’s views on films.

A Dog's purpose is a decent film but I never said it was one of the greatest films of all time, you just made that up for effect. I gave it 82 for the record. Hachi, however is a different matter altogether

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can This year off the top of my head I have enjoyed in no particular order

Han Solo
Widows
On Chesil Beach
Journeyman
Blackkklansman
You Were Never Really Here
Leave No Trace
Cargo (Netflix film)
Walk Like A Panther
Jurassic World
Swimming With Men
The Light Between Oceans
Don’t Worry, He Won’t Get Far On Foot
Heda Gabler
Una (Ben Mehndelson and Rooney Mara on heartbreaking form)
The Killing Of A Sacred Deer
And I caught up on and enjoyed

BladeRunner 2049
Paddington 2
High Rise
The Survivalist
Made In America
Room

Biggest disappointments of the year
Overlord
The Shape Of Water

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A Dog's purpose is a decent film but I never said it was one of the greatest films of all time, you just made that up for effect. I gave it 82 for the record. Hachi, however is a different matter altogether

I never said you said it was one of the greatest films of all time, you have made that up for effect. I said you said it was one of your favourite films of all time . Big difference.
You were certainly gushing about it on here. But I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
As the year closes, still nothing has got close to Leave No Trace imho.

Stunning. Not surprised it's still 100% on Rotten Toms.
Quite a coincidence - came back onto the thread to get a view on this, and saw this very post. Am on a long flight later this month and it is one of the choices onboard (Virgin Atlantic). Might also give BlackKKKlansman a bash as that's on there too.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Many thanks - regular listener to the Kermode/Mayo podcast and was going to check out his review (couldn't remember what he said about it) and you've saved me looking. Top stuff, @IsItPotG.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure how available it is in the cinema but, thanks to their investment in the film, you can see the Cohen Brother's The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix. It's made up of 6 widely differing tales of the Old West and it shows all the usual Cohen brothers twists and turns. After the first short film about Buster Scruggs himself you end up watching every other section in anticipation and dread of what's coming next, much in the way we watched Javier Bardem murder his way through No Country For Old Men.....It manages to tug at the heart strings and turn violence in to black comedy and the macabre in to dark foreboding. Some tales are more slow developing but always they build to a climax or a denouement which makes you go wow ! The location scenes are beautifully shot and really give you a sense of the vastness and beauty of the country. Myself and Mrs. V thoroughly enjoyed it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Not sure how available it is in the cinema but, thanks to their investment in the film, you can see the Cohen Brother's The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix. It's made up of 6 widely differing tales of the Old West and it shows all the usual Cohen brothers twists and turns. After the first short film about Buster Scruggs himself you end up watching every other section in anticipation and dread of what's coming next, much in the way we watched Javier Bardem murder his way through No Country For Old Men.....It manages to tug at the heart strings and turn violence in to black comedy and the macabre in to dark foreboding. Some tales are more slow developing but always they build to a climax or a denouement which makes you go wow ! The location scenes are beautifully shot and really give you a sense of the vastness and beauty of the country. Myself and Mrs. V thoroughly enjoyed it.

just watched the trailer. Loved No Country For Old Men, book and film. This looks like my kind of film :smile:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Three identical strangers is a superb docu-film, on at the Duke of Yorks at the moment.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I, Tonya.

Brilliant dramatisation of the mid-90’s scandal of Olympic figure skater, Tonya Harding. If this film’s take on matter is accurate one cantvutvhelp desperately sorry for all the women involved.
It’s a brilliant film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm enjoying my Mubi streaming membership. Each week i get a free ticket to see 1 film. I am fortunate that 1 of the cinemas that shows the films Mubi chooses is quite nearby - Crouch End Arthouse - so when i steal away, i lug my ipad with MubiGo app included, and in i go for free. A couple of weeks ago it was Suspiria - i fell asleep a bit near the beginning, but the violence and intensity when i awoke were enthralling - but today i order a soya latte and made it comfortably through The Old Man and the Gun, with a mere 5 elderly folk in the theatre there with an obligation to see Robert Redford's final performance, or so i hoped to feel. Twas a mostly true story, it says at the start, and if anyone could play Forrest Tucker, a repetitive bank robber with irrepressible charm, it had to be Redford. The whole film had the feel of the early 80s, when it was set, with its grainy film quality, but the music that accompanied it, had a jazz that spoke of before. It was generally light fare, but this anti-hero tale had a delicate warmth and sparkle to it, and a cast bigger films might envy - Redford, Sissy Spacek, Danny Glover, Casey Affleck, and Tom Waits.

Maybe deep down i am saying this to counter suggestions of strongly disliking all of cinema, but it weren't a bad watch.
Next weekend Mubi gives me the new Lars Von Trier flick. Cool.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here