Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Chess Club - BHANSC - a new beginning

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Hey all. There is a tournament here suitable for our new members, lower rated players, and people finding their way around still

https://www.chess.com/tournament/u1250

It will start when it has 16 players in. There are 3 so far. Including me. If you have been wanting to play a proper match to see how you get on, this is a perfect place to start. Lets see if we can fill up some of those remaining 13 places with some of our members. Especially new people. If a few of you join I will start a forum thread on it on our pages at chess.com to chat (not cheat) over

Most in there will be of an ok standard so don't feel disheartened if you feel out your depth. Your starting rating of 1200 will just get adjusted accordingly. 2 day moves, though especially in this kind of graded competition the games go fairly fast generally. Just take your time and enjoy

It doesnt affect our team scores or ratings whatsover so can just be a learning experience

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Well the match may be lost, but the personal victory against Man Ure is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

tenor.gif

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Your starting rating of 1200 will just get adjusted accordingly.

I've seen this a couple of times now. When I registered, my starting rating was 1000, how do some people get a higher rating? Do you start with a higher rating if you're a paid member?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I've seen this a couple of times now. When I registered, my starting rating was 1000, how do some people get a higher rating? Do you start with a higher rating if you're a paid member?

No being a paid subscriber doesn't make a difference I don't think. I see new members start with 800 now only just noticed that. It was 1200 I think on mine and 800 for bullets and blitzand rapid. I suspect these used to be higher too as the 1100 ish players are all around the same ball park I would say and it takes a lot of games even at bullet

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Well the match may be lost, but the personal victory against Man Ure is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

View attachment 100190

I bossed my man utd game! Poss my finest game to date. Me on black him d5 my least favourite. The other game is still ongoing!!! The closest games are my favourite where it's down to the last couple of games for a team win. Holds everyone's interest more than winning 12 nil. Or loosing. Need to check how everyone's doing against new later!!!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I'm still keen but utter, utter shit. Is this why I haven't heard from you? I'd like to offer myself as cannon fodder.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Get In.

Crocodile Dundee, David Warner, Dame Edna Everidge, Kylie Minogue, Mel Gibson, Olivia Newton John, Kerry Packer, Russell Crowe, AC/DC, Don Bradman, Rupert Murdoch.
Your boy took a hell of a beating

But lost the first game[emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I'm still keen but utter, utter shit. Is this why I haven't heard from you? I'd like to offer myself as cannon fodder.

1) you arent utter utter shit
2) it doesnt matter, I am playing some new members who are learning and they are loving it, even getting paid subscriptions
3) you are still in the team!! Dont you get notifications? (we post sometime in news, always do a match thread, and a message in your inbox should appear whenever there is a team game to enrol in). Not everyone who always wants to play in a team match can. This is quite rare though. We occasionally make a substitution if we are over subscribed to make it fair

Do you know how to find our forum?. Click connect, clubs, BHANSC, then forum on the right. Most of our posting is done on there you may be surprised what you have missed, but this thread on NSC is useful to attract new players. Of any shape or size.
I don't have as much time for admin as I used to personally. Pickles and Battleman, between the 3 of us... . We have a team match coming up against some engineers and architects. I have spoken to them and they are hoping to submit at team of mixed ability. Why dont you sign up?. They've also updated the site to make navigation easier. Click connect, friends, then challenge someone to a game, or click through the members and challenge someone of similar experience

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If anyone hasnt been over for a while, we've been busy with a couple of new initiatives going on. There are some games current and in the pipeline for lower rated/new players to get a good match against similar rated opponents. These are proving useful as the points accrued very much count towards our team rating and it gives everyone a chance to play. All being well, it will be one of these games in progress, that puts us in the world top 1500! (out of 27000).

We also are trialling live (online) team games, with the first one this Sunday at 8pm. This is an unknown for us, and most, and the time or fixtures are not yet set. Theres a few not logged on a while, check your inboxes for info

Finally the Champions League is on the horizon which we are in. Pickles and Battleman will be running the team mostly for that competition, whist I'm going to be helping with the running of the tournament itself

All welcome, old or new members!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As a matter of interest, has anyone played a woman yet? I've played 75 games so far (with 16 ongoing) and all of my opponents have been male. I know chess is a male-dominated activity but I'm surprised it's that dominant.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
As a matter of interest, has anyone played a woman yet? I've played 75 games so far (with 16 ongoing) and all of my opponents have been male. I know chess is a male-dominated activity but I'm surprised it's that dominant.

I am still learning. [MENTION=1557]maffew[/MENTION] has been very kind and taught me, while playing a few games. Thank you [MENTION=1557]maffew[/MENTION]!

I have had a few games against similar, lower rated players. I am really enjoying it and doing the tactics most days to try and improve.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I am still learning. [MENTION=1557]maffew[/MENTION] has been very kind and taught me, while playing a few games. Thank you [MENTION=1557]maffew[/MENTION]!

I have had a few games against similar, lower rated players. I am really enjoying it and doing the tactics most days to try and improve.

Pleased to hear it.

The only reason that I remarked on it is that I've been playing a couple of people with female user names but when I looked at their profile, saw they're blokes. It would be great to have more female players.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Anyone played taybha yet ? i can just imagine the chessboard being hurled across the infinity of interweb space and time continium during yet another Queen sacrifice hissyfit

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here