Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst band that wew successful?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I have a library of c. 250,000 songs from Classical, Jazz, Pop, Northern Soul and Motown to Heavy Metal and Grunge. Whilst I respect the change that The Beatles started, their revolutionary new techniques and innovations, I basically do not find them easy listening at all, in fact quite the contrary.

I do not like their music, simple.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
That's far too sensible. I was made to think when I was a student in the early 1970s, talking about music and I was being rude about the Wombles - well, who wouldn't. But one of my friends, who was not known for his over-sensitivity and himself was in to some fairly heavyweight jazz, said "Whatever we might say, they give a lot of people a lot of pleasure." That changed my thinking, and so now I would not say something is sh1t, I would just say I didn't like it, or them.

And I'm not U2's greatest fan, either.

Saw them at Twickers on Sunday, absolutely phenomenal .

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This thread is utterly brilliant.

Hmmmmmmmm

Who to anger first?!? Oooohhhh the agony of choice....

Hmmmmmm

Think popular artist, think big seller, think people who cellotape newspaper to their windows and listen solely to one artist/band who they love more than life itself:

Elvis Costello.
The Smiths.
The Manics.
Pulp.
Dodgy.
Anything John Peel rated.
David Bowie.

Runs away....

Heh heh furrrking brilliant.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This thread is utterly brilliant.

Hmmmmmmmm

Who to anger first?!? Oooohhhh the agony of choice....

Hmmmmmm

Think popular artist, think big seller, think people who cellotape newspaper to their windows and listen solely to one artist/band who they love more than life itself.

Elvis Costello.
The Smiths.
The Manics.
Pulp.
Dodgy.
Anything John Peel rated.
David Bowie.

Runs away....

Heh heh furrrking brilliant.

Well said indeed.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You like your Pistols. Do you listen to Jonesy's Jukebox? Great listening especially the 'in studio' with Paul Cook. Well worth a visit.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes, always listen to Jonesy. Had Diggle as a guest last week and ripped the piss. A very good listen.
Johnny is my mate, invited me on his tour bus on his last visit :)
IMG_4622.JPG

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Yes, always listen to Jonesy. Had Diggle as a guest last week and ripped the piss. A very good listen.
Johnny is my mate, invited me on his tour bus on his last visit :)
View attachment 87114
Quality! I've read John L's book 'No Dogs etc' some years back. Is his latest just an updated version? Also, I hear Lonely Boy is worth a read although I quite fancy the audio version as Jonsey can deliver a tale quite like no one else can!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Quality! I've read John L's book 'No Dogs etc' some years back. Is his latest just an updated version? Also, I hear Lonely Boy is worth a read although I quite fancy the audio version as Jonsey can deliver a tale quite like no one else can!

Same here, Jonesy has done a audio version but not been able to find it anywhere yet. Will be seeing the Professionals i a few weeks albeit without Steve as he didn't rejoin them when they reformed. But still a great band.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Ed Sheeran shot himself in the foot with the back-to-back releases earlier this year from the new album. While each individual single has it's own style, they're still Ed's voice and hearing 3 of his tracks in my morning *and* evening commute is a bit too much (admittedly my commute is 2 hours, but still...). Space those releases out over a full year and I suspect folks would be lauding the stylistic changes in each track instead of bemoaning that we're constantly being bombarded with his tracks.

Anyway, my actual contribution to this thread:

Any poppy manufactured boy/girl band.

And along side them, the vast majority of X Factor etc winners (although thankfully most of those have turned out to be of only limited and short term success).

I did try a few Ed Sheeran tracks on youtube, but hated them all, actually surprised me that they were that 'wet' and dreary (to my ears anyway). I think he's a cult to many tbh, it's all about his 'journey' against all odds and that stuff.

Mystified how his actual music can be that popular.

The_NitramJohn

Feb 18, 2012
You may not like them but I'm sorry to say they were one of the worst bands which were successful is utter nonsense. One of THE hallmarks of a great band is when you hear them for the first time, it sounds nothing like you've heard before. The Smiths fall into that category. They had their own sound which was completely distinctive. No-one else sounded like them.
Only the really great acts have that. The Beatles, Bowie, The Pistols, Prince, Nirvana, Joy Division, Kraftwerk, AC/DC, they all had a sound which made you stop the first time you heard them. Not many have that. The Smiths did.

Though not my cup of tea, I agree - you can't say they weren't an inspirational band with a unique sound.

My jibe was more at that section of their fans, who come across as genuinely shocked & upset that you don't hold Smiths/Morrisey in their same high esteem.

Maybe being unfair but, Havnt really experienced this, on the same level, with other bands fans.

not hard to work out my favourite band & genre - TBH couldn't care what others think , enjoying the music far too much [emoji41]

Yes, I'm a metalhead who enjoys playing Classical piano [emoji12]

I love music, not going to criticise bands for their music genres (only if the members/singers act like self obsessed dicks)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
PLEASE explain why the Beatles were the worst band that were successful. Just to confirm: The most successful band ever were actually "The Worst"?
Can you also enlighten the rest of the world why they were rip off merchants? I understand some people think the Beatles were over rated but I think you may have gone a bit far with your look at me comment.

I don't have to explain anything to anyone it is a message board asking for opinions and that is mine.

Ok I will, as I don't want to be rude.

All you have to do is look at everything they have ever done, and they copied from day one in the Cavern Club right through the mop heads, copied off other Liverpool bands at the time, and again through to the experimental phase that others were actually doing before them and just because they had more money and fame the media made them out to be at the cutting edge of everything...

It is not a look at me comment, I have said it before on here and I am not alone in my thinking.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
All you have to do is look at everything they have ever done, and they copied from day one in the Cavern Club right through the mop heads, copied off other Liverpool bands at the time, and again through to the experimental phase that others were actually doing before them and just because they had more money and fame the media made them out to be at the cutting edge of everything...

Basing a judgement that a band are "the worst" on anything other than what you hear is pretty stupid in my opinion.

The_NitramJohn

Feb 18, 2012
You do realise that rules out nearly every band and solo artist at one time or another in their career.

Yes, aware of that LOL!

Including a lot of my music heroes [emoji41][emoji869]

Just, I'm happier to accept Gene Simmons being a dick, than Justin Beiber.

Biased, I know LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Basing a judgement that a band are "the worst" on anything other than what you hear is pretty stupid in my opinion.

Eh...

Sorry that makes no sense to me, I am making that opinion precisely on what I hear...... pure bland music.

That is my opinion which is what this thread is about, sorry you don't like it, no need to get all defensive.

It don't make me right, I am well aware of that.

And people think Smiths fans get all up there own arse....

Meh

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Eh...

Sorry that makes no sense to me, I am making that opinion precisely on what I hear...... pure bland music.

That is my opinion which is what this thread is about, sorry you don't like it, no need to get all defensive.

It don't make me right, I am well aware of that.

And people think Smiths fans get all up there own arse....

Meh

I haven't expressed any opinion on the Beatles, I have expressed an opinion on your comments. You say NOW you made you judgement based on what you hear - pure bland music. But that's not what you wrote in the comment I was responding to in which you explained why they were the "worst band". You talked about them copying music and not being original. You talked about them being successful because of money and fame. That has NOTHING to do with what you've just written. You said nothing about the quality of the music in that post. All that matters is whether you enjoy something or not, and that's up to you. Whether they were "cutting edge" or copying others is pretty irrelevant if they did it better than others, but that is simply a question of taste.

Methinks you are the one getting all defensive and up your arse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here