A wonderful gift to planet earth

Here's what mr Attenborough says....
https://youtu.be/U8hLgoZJimc

Last edited:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Does everyone remember this:
weasel-rides-woodpecker-back-photo-561592.jpg
It was a Least Weasel trying to bite the neck out of a woodpecker.

And more on these absolutely lunatically aggressive animals

Go weasel!

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
Siberian tiger all the way....
Ridiculous power and anything it kills is done with ease once caught
Can run at 50 mph
Super agile and can leap and climb very high etc etc
Can weigh up to 400kgs
Can stand 9ft high on its hind legs

A wonderful gift to planet earth

Here's what mr Attenborough says....
https://youtu.be/U8hLgoZJimc

When large brown bears, a symbol of Russia live in FEAR of being eaten by these feckers, that tells something

Vote 4 the tiger!

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I like the look of the Least Weasel

And so you should.
This is a tough group and I have a lot respect for both the mongoose and the shrew.But if you are looking for maximum belligerence in minimum animal then the weasel is for you.
The Least Weasel is 'no bigger than a hamster'. But a snarlling biting fighting satanic hamster from hell. They attack rabbits and hares, hanging onto the throat and choking them to death. Imagine a cow being attacked and killed by a domestic cat and you get the picture.

So they attack animals many many times bigger than themselves. They bite through skulls.They ride woodpeckers

And still that is not the best of it.Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k319DbHU80

Oh and if you need more convincing here's a scientific paper that proves that a weasel can cow other animals into submission by SMELL alone:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12954393

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Gone for the Insatiable Hairy Frogfish,i am a cat lover so the Siberian Tiger is the obvious choice,but not this time.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
There's too many options these days. It was always nice having Scotland appear in the odd World Cup for novelty value once every four tournaments, but soon it becomes tiresome and you just want to get to the climax.

Emperor Penguin?

That's just a duck with a coat.

Now we are talking!

"Why you must fear it: It's a full inch long, it lives in trees and thus can and will fall on you to scare you away from its hive--the one you didn't know was there, because it's in a ****ing tree. Before it does this, it shrieks at you. This ant, you see, can shriek.

It's called a Bullet Ant because its 'unusually severe' sting feels like getting shot. On the Schmidt Sting Index, Bullet Ants rate as the number one most try-not-to-shit-out-your-spine painful in the entirety of the Kingdom Arthropoda.

Also--and we do feel the need to stress this--they ****ing shriek at you before they attack."

http://www.cracked.com/article_15816_the-5-most-horrifying-bugs-in-world.html

If I stood on it in my shoes it could shriek all it wanted to but would be dead very quickly.

Not hard, am out.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
That bloke put that ant on his arm and was talking through the ordeal, let's see what happens when he puts the Siberian Tiger on his arm!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
All hail the Bullet Ant. An inch long bolt of lightning. Quite why this head mental little beast evolved such disproportionate weapons of war is unclear but woe betide anybody that gets on the wrong end of them.

Ever heard of the Schmidt Sting Pain Index? No, neither had I until I looked into this little forest fighter. It turns out the scale runs from 1 to 4 and the Bullet Ant is on top of the pile, apparently being marginally more painful than a run in with a Tarantula Hawk Wasp. I'll let the inventor of the scale himself take up the story...

"Books are filled with tales of the ants being used as part of puberty rites deep in the Amazon rainforest, but all of it was anecdotal from the early 20th century. I knew that the literature abounded with horror stories about what the bullet ant did, but I had never seen one. So you can imagine the excitement I had when the ants were finally right there in front of me during a trip to Brazil some time ago.

I had a big jar in my collecting bag and I was trying to pick them up with 12-inch long forceps, a great big monster tool, but the ants were sticky, which surprised me, because big ants are usually clumsy and don't climb very well. Bullet ants are agile in spite of being huge–up to an inch–and their feet can stick to just about anything. They were getting riled up by all the movement and were working their way up the forceps to where I was. They seemed to know that the forceps were not the real target, that whatever was at the top was the goal. I was multi-tasking, looking around on the ground to make sure I wasn't getting outflanked by any ants. Sooner or later, I goofed. One of them got up the forceps and stung me on my finger.

That really shuts you down. It really felt like a bullet. It was instantaneous, almost even before it stung me. It was absolutely riveting. There were huge waves and crescendos of burning pain—a tsunami of pain coming out of my finger. The tsunami would crash as they do on the beach, then recede a little bit, then crash again. It wasn't just two or three of these waves. It continued for around 12 hours. Crash. Recede. Crash. It was absolutely excruciating. There wasn't much I could do except be aware of it and groan. But I didn't lose the ant. I was dedicated enough that I got it into the jar.

The pain radiated out from the finger. I'd hold my arm out and the one that got stung was shaking and trembling. No matter what I tried to do to stop the shaking, it didn't work. That told me that the sting and the pain did have a systemic effect, although it's localized. It doesn't affect your heart or lungs. The indigenous people get stung a dozen or more times during the puberty rites, and none of them suffer longterm effects. It's a local pain reaction."

12 hours! Imagine catching a football in the nads. But worse and for 12 hours. Ouch indeed!

There are videos on YouTube of this stuff. I would post one but I'm actually on nights and my work NetNanny doesn't let me go near videos.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Oh come ON people

With all respect to the shrew and the ant. The weasel rode a woodpecker and attacked a seagull (which is in the knock out rounds already) IN THE SEA.
what more could you ask from an animal in this competition?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
People do realise that being an Apex Predator is a negative when it comes to hardest, right?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Course they don't. Fools. Plus the whole "it's outlived the dinosaurs" thing is fallacious as well.

Thing is, "outlived the dinosaurs" isn't a personality trait. It's just doing some sitting in a field, basically. ****ing boring.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Thing is, "outlived the dinosaurs" isn't a personality trait. It's just doing some sitting in a field, basically. ****ing boring.

Literally every animal that has ever entered the competition has outlived the dinosaurs.

Crocs do have some hard characteristics. Having your very own fatality move in the 'death roll' is hard. Plus swallowing stuff whole is hard. But they are so overrated in this competition for all the reasons you state.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Literally every animal that has ever entered the competition has outlived the dinosaurs.

Crocs do have some hard characteristics. Having your very own fatality move in the 'death roll' is hard. Plus swallowing stuff whole is hard. But they are so overrated in this competition for all the reasons you state.

Agreed - I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath water - continuing to survive and even thrive after losing limbs is unquestionably hard.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All hail the Bullet Ant. An inch long bolt of lightning. Quite why this head mental little beast evolved such disproportionate weapons of war is unclear but woe betide anybody that gets on the wrong end of them.

Ever heard of the Schmidt Sting Pain Index? No, neither had I until I looked into this little forest fighter. It turns out the scale runs from 1 to 4 and the Bullet Ant is on top of the pile, apparently being marginally more painful than a run in with a Tarantula Hawk Wasp. I'll let the inventor of the scale himself take up the story...

"Books are filled with tales of the ants being used as part of puberty rites deep in the Amazon rainforest, but all of it was anecdotal from the early 20th century. I knew that the literature abounded with horror stories about what the bullet ant did, but I had never seen one. So you can imagine the excitement I had when the ants were finally right there in front of me during a trip to Brazil some time ago.

I had a big jar in my collecting bag and I was trying to pick them up with 12-inch long forceps, a great big monster tool, but the ants were sticky, which surprised me, because big ants are usually clumsy and don't climb very well. Bullet ants are agile in spite of being huge–up to an inch–and their feet can stick to just about anything. They were getting riled up by all the movement and were working their way up the forceps to where I was. They seemed to know that the forceps were not the real target, that whatever was at the top was the goal. I was multi-tasking, looking around on the ground to make sure I wasn't getting outflanked by any ants. Sooner or later, I goofed. One of them got up the forceps and stung me on my finger.

That really shuts you down. It really felt like a bullet. It was instantaneous, almost even before it stung me. It was absolutely riveting. There were huge waves and crescendos of burning pain—a tsunami of pain coming out of my finger. The tsunami would crash as they do on the beach, then recede a little bit, then crash again. It wasn't just two or three of these waves. It continued for around 12 hours. Crash. Recede. Crash. It was absolutely excruciating. There wasn't much I could do except be aware of it and groan. But I didn't lose the ant. I was dedicated enough that I got it into the jar.

The pain radiated out from the finger. I'd hold my arm out and the one that got stung was shaking and trembling. No matter what I tried to do to stop the shaking, it didn't work. That told me that the sting and the pain did have a systemic effect, although it's localized. It doesn't affect your heart or lungs. The indigenous people get stung a dozen or more times during the puberty rites, and none of them suffer longterm effects. It's a local pain reaction."

12 hours! Imagine catching a football in the nads. But worse and for 12 hours. Ouch indeed!

There are videos on YouTube of this stuff. I would post one but I'm actually on nights and my work NetNanny doesn't let me go near videos.

So it doesn't kill you. It just give you excruciating pain for 12 hours. Wave after wave of pain? Childbirth does that, and for longer. I must be hard as nails then.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Group D is finished.

Congratulations to the Salt Water Croc, Siberian Tiger, Shrew and Bullet Ant who all progress to the next round.

All we are waiting on is the result of the Mantis Shrimp/Wolverine play off and then we'll have all 16 competitors for the second round. There will be a live draw for the second round once the play off match up is concluded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here