Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Good Evening Geeks,

Just witnessed a rather unsavoury incident at Preston Circus involving a National Express coach. As usual there, two cyclists had gone beyond the advance stop box to wait a what is marked as the end of the cycle lane, about 20 feet ahead. I stopped in the advance stop box and the coach that is already there is at least halfway in to the box, so I am maybe 2/3 of a bike length ahead of the coach. As the lights turn to red and amber, Mr Coach Driver floors it pulling away before I've even started to pedal. The two cyclists in front have started to move away as the light has turned green but the coach driver does not alter his path to allow room for them, leaving a mere foot between his coach and the pedestrian railing at this intersection. Fortunately, he was accelerating so aggressively that both of these ladies heard him coming and braked and veered to the left avoiding serious injury if not death.

I've seen this sort of thing from car drivers and 'white van men' but from a guy driving a coach to and from London? Why bother? Especially, as he had to stop and pick up passengers not 50 yards down the road. When he stopped I gave him a right earful on behalf of the front (lady cyclist) as she seemed pretty shook up but thinking back I wish I had just punched the guy. I know it does not solve anything but he did not seem to care that he had nearly killed someone so why should I care if I hurt his face?

I'm really upset by this as I just cannot believe someone would have so little thought for someone else's well being. I have sent a complaint email along with the registration number to National Express, not really expecting much but will be interesting to see what they have to say. Especially as all National Express coaches have CCTV on them so should show his dangerous driving if they bother to look.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Good Evening Geeks,

Just witnessed a rather unsavoury incident at Preston Circus involving a National Express coach......

I was quite shaken up earlier today as I saw the aftermath of a fatal collision just outside my offices in London. A lorry had gone over the top of a cyclist at a junction. When I went past the police had erected a tent and there was a rather poignant, solitary shoe on the road behind the lorry. I wasn't surprised to hear later that the cyclist had been killed.

I don't know whose fault it was and many cyclists in London don't do themselves any favours, but there's one guy who won't be going home tonight and whose friends and family won't be seeing him again. RIP

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I was quite shaken up earlier today as I saw the aftermath of a fatal collision just outside my offices in London. A lorry had gone over the top of a cyclist at a junction. When I went past the police had erected a tent and there was a rather poignant, solitary shoe on the road behind the lorry. I wasn't surprised to hear later that the cyclist had been killed.

I don't know whose fault it was and many cyclists in London don't do themselves any favours, but there's one guy who won't be going home tonight and whose friends and family won't be seeing him again. RIP

Horrendous stuff. Was it a lorry turning left, by any chance?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] don't get punchy. You've done the right thing reporting him.
[MENTION=12917]Bedsex[/MENTION] that's horrible. I'm not sure I could ever ride in London under usual circumstances.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey chaps, what a day.

The amount of times we read or see stuff like this:-
Especially, as he had to stop and pick up passengers not 50 yards down the road.
making the whole situation even more pointless, if that's possible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone else watching the races find themselves saying "I wanna live there" every time?

Virtually never when I watch any of the spring classics!
Totally with IL on this.
Rural BeNeLux must be a tough sell in March/April.

I do remember watching a post Tour (I think) event in The Netherlands.
Lovely sunny day, flat as a pancake, by the sea, through picture postcard villages, over canal bridges, the works.
In a rare moment of selflessness I did catch myself thinking, 'this looks like a perfect area to raise the family'.

Right up until the point I thought 'feck me it must get cold there, in the winter', and that was the end of that.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Gents I am a jcl to the world of road cycling I purchased my bike and kit over Christmas and have been going out 3x a week since. I need to upgrade my helmet as I have been using an old one that is dated heavy and doesn't go with my decent bike and very decent assos gear. I want to spend uptown 100, your input is most welcome. Thanks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Gents I am a jcl to the world of road cycling I purchased my bike and kit over Christmas and have been going out 3x a week since. I need to upgrade my helmet as I have been using an old one that is dated heavy and doesn't go with my decent bike and very decent assos gear. I want to spend uptown 100, your input is most welcome. Thanks

Wiggle have got some great offers at the moment: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/helmets/
That Giro Monza at 45% off is a nice, light and excellent value helmet at the price. I quite fancy the Catlike Whisper though.
Also, check out the Bell Volt (also 45% off!)

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Same advice as for bikes really. Shop around, try as many on as you can you will find one brand that is more comfortable for you I would expect. They normally come in small, medium or large so getting the right size is important. Also, do not bother looking in the mirror that bike shops so helpfully provide, we all look stupid in helmets when standing motionless in a brightly lit shop.

Finally once you have found the one you like consider buying it off the internet, or at least advising you LBS that you can get it for cheaper online, they will probably price match rather than lose the sale. The mark up on helmets is often quite large, especially on Specialized helmets.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It's got nothing to do with money or 'name'.
You spend however much you need to spend on the helmet that fits you best.
As with bikes they're all the same but a little different.
Shop where there's a decent range and buy the one that doesn't feel like it's on your head (when it is :lol:).

It could cost £30 or £150, it doesn't matter if it's 'the one'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Same advice as for bikes really. Shop around, try as many on as you can you will find one brand that is more comfortable for you I would expect. They normally come in small, medium or large so getting the right size is important. Also, do not bother looking in the mirror that bike shops so helpfully provide, we all look stupid in helmets when standing motionless in a brightly lit shop.

Finally once you have found the one you like consider buying it off the internet, or at least advising you LBS that you can get it for cheaper online, they will probably price match rather than lose the sale. The mark up on helmets is often quite large, especially on Specialized helmets.
:bowdown:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

I popped a Kask on my bonce today and it fitted perfectly. I'm told their Mojito's come with a very good safety rating.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

You don't buy such an item over the internet, you have to try it on first, Pete Roberts at In Gear, forest Row will put you right.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You don't buy such an item over the internet, you have to try it on first, Pete Roberts at In Gear, forest Row will put you right.

Yeah, but you can try them on, see what's good, and then go for a deal off the internet. It's what I did, and it saved me 50 quid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here