Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Mockumentaries

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A few years back now and if you haven't watched it already, get the DVD of BBC's The Thick Of It, portraying incompetence, bullying and general chaos within a government department. Brilliant.

It's not aimed at any real life political party. But the bully is a parody of spin doctor Alaistair Campbell.

If you enjoyed The Thick of It, then check out the American version, VEEP. I thought I'd hate it, but its genius. The writing is so sharp and the one-liners come so thick and fast, you're almost missing the next one through laughing at the previous. Armando Ianucci is one of the writers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you enjoyed The Thick of It, then check out the American version, VEEP. I thought I'd hate it, but its genius. The writing is so sharp and the one-liners come so thick and fast, you're almost missing the next one through laughing at the previous. Armando Ianucci is one of the writers.

Veep is in the top 10 of funniest programmes ever.
Jonah is my hero.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Veep is in the top 10 of funniest programmes ever.
Jonah is my hero.

Jonah is epic. The routine abuse he gets over his size is marvellous. I also like Roger Furlong (the bald congressman) for his horrifically casual foul-mouthed eloquence.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This has got to be the best one for me :lolol:

This Country is a little work of slow burn genius.

You may not know that:

Kerry & Kurtin (Daisy and Charlie) are brother and sister in real life.
Kerry's Mum (only ever a voice) is also played by Daisy
Kerry's Dad is played by real life Dad
And Len is her real life Uncle

Edit: didn't spot the earlier post sharing the brother/sister nugget.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Another vote for Veep. Absolutely love it and have watched all the series several times over. Such a shame the next will be the last.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Later, after a change in government, boots are put on othr feet (if you happen to be a Blairite snowflake, like me, and need 'balance'). Written by Armando Ianucci (spelling). Starring a timelord from Gregory's girl.

Now shut the **** up or **** the **** off.

:lolol:

I remember it all well.

Loved the trip to Washington DC where Malcolm Tucker clashed with a White House bully - an arrogant 4 * general.

Plus a trip to a UK resort for a conference or similar where Tucker assaulted an adversary in the hotel corridor.

Also, sporadic employ of management consultants armed with white-boards, for group brain storming, and educating the civil servants and political staff with baloney new concepts.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Not sure if it's available in the UK, but I've been watching Dreamland (or Utopia in Australia) on Netflix. It's an Australian mockumentary about a government office set up to manage big infrastructure projects.

It's got a very similar feel to Twenty Twelve and W1A. The main character who manages the department and just wants to get everything done in a straightforward way. Then there's various bellcheeses who provide the entertainment, including a "think outside the box" design consultant (very much like Perfect Curve). Bullshit health and safety, office charity drives, IT equipment going wrong in every episode etc.

It doesn't live up to the likes of The Thick of It, but it's definitely worth a watch.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This Country is a little work of slow burn genius.

You may not know that:

Kerry & Kurtin (Daisy and Charlie) are brother and sister in real life.
Kerry's Mum (only ever a voice) is also played by Daisy
Kerry's Dad is played by real life Dad
And Len is her real life Uncle

Edit: didn't spot the earlier post sharing the brother/sister nugget.

Thanks for that.

I always knew that Daisy and Charlie are brother and sister, but had no idea about their real life Dad and Uncle.

I'd suspected Kerry`s mum might in fact be Daisy`s voice but never knew for certain.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here