Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is beating Spurs at home that far fetched?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I said when we were 16 to 1 that was utter madness, odds at the time should have been abiut 9 to 2, even 8 to 1 is mad, should be about 7 to 2 now, cannot see us getting more than 36 points. Could not bring myself to back it though

Some bookies had us at 21/1 before the palace game. Odds aren’t a real reflection of probability anyway so pointless to look at.

This makes for better reading. Fivethirtyeight have us at a 7% chance of being relegated.

06105CA9-3424-4D9F-8293-4C744855F50B.png

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think Locadia should play up front instead of Murray, as at least his pace will occupy the spurs back Line a bit more. Otherwise we are relying on perfect balls into Murray .

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Actual odds:
Albion win 8.4 [11.9%]
Spurs win 1.45 [68.97%]
Draw 4.7 [21.28%]

True odds:
Albion win 3.17 [31.25%]
Spurs win 2.28 [43.75%]
Draw 3.17 [31.25%]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that if he plays Sanchez is Spurs weakness in defence, as I have said in the past, and that we should start with Murray and if not proving to be successful change him at halftime for Locadia and or Ulloa.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
This. They seem w**kers with a bit of spite to their game, but Alli, Dembele, Sanchez, will over power, out pace and beat Brighton with their height.

Cue the lickers drooling over Eriksen & Co aftwerwards. Very expensively gathered.

Eriksen was 11 million....

I can see this game going one of two ways.

A tight game And a Brighton win or Spurs will start fast and it will Be game over.

Oddly I don’t see it being a draw.

Both sides have something to prove after the weekend.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Of course it's possible. It's more than possible. Spurs are far from invincible, and we're at home.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Very disappointed yesterday, but having watched it again this morning even Roy thought Palace were fortunate to get all three points.

Obviously the Corona was flowing last night but when I even suggested that we could still shock Tottenham and win on Tuesday, I was met with laughter.

Stranger things have happened haven’t they?

And whose to say Murray won’t deliver?

corona you say ...!! 3 -3 dele ali 3 , muzz 2 dunk 1

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Eriksen was 11 million....

I can see this game going one of two ways.

A tight game And a Brighton win or Spurs will start fast and it will Be game over.

Oddly I don’t see it being a draw.

Both sides have something to prove after the weekend.

Dreaming. Spuds in every single department (with their £100m's bought squad) are far better than Brighton.

How the hell are Brighton going to stop the goals and score against their (much media loved) defence.

Everyone of their players is a better footballer and athlete than ours. Bought success.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Depends on how you are defining 'far-fetched'.

We are a premier league club. We have played some sublime football at times this season. We made Utd work for their Old Trafford victory over us, and it took a goal that shouldn't have stood, and which took a wicked deflection to beat us. Spurs only just beat Stoke (1-2), they couldn't beat Southampton (1-1), they just about beat Palace (0-1). Newport took them to a replay in the cup. They lost their last game (albeit against Man City) so could be a bit lacking in confidence. They have an FA cup semi-final next weekend, so could be distracted. Or they could simply have too many players have an off day, while ours are so up for it they play out of the skins.

A win against them isn't a 'once in a lifetime freak result' sort of far-fetched idea.

But they are one of the better spurs teams of the last few decades. They are still in with a shout of second place, and won't want to have Chelsea catch them and overtake them into final champions league place (ideally, they won't want the fourth spot they'll want higher - if arsenal win the europa cup doesn't the fourth placed team miss out?), and we will be one of the teams against whom they expect a win. We have not kept a clean sheet in the league this calendar year. We seem to be wasting a couple of golden opportunities to score every game this month (yeah, every team misses chances, but some of the chances we are missing...). It seems like our players took the win against Arsenal as 'job done' and haven't really played like they need to win any more. Our midfield options are limited with just Kayal and Stephens, and a Gross who has spent most of the season playing a more advanced role, our wingers all blow hot and cold. They are chock full of international players and have a goal scoring machine up front desperate for the golden boot.

Of course we could beat them. No one should call you a lunatic because you spend the time between now and Tuesday evening believing we can get the win. But you'll be in the minority, and there is a very good chance your belief is wrong.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
if arsenal win the europa cup doesn't the fourth placed team miss out?

No, not for a while. Just this season there were five English teams in the Champions League after Man United won the Europa League last season (having finished 6th in the league). Spain had five teams in the CL the two seasons prior to that after Seville won the Europa League twice in a row (they actually won it 3 times in a row!)

Both the EL and CL winners automatically qualify for the CL, but there can only be a maximum of 5 teams from the Premier League which can enter the CL, so if both the winners of these competitions were English and they both finished outside the top four, then this is when the fourth place would only provide Europa League qualification.

As an aside, there can only be a maximum of 7 English clubs in UEFA competitions in a single season. So either 5 CL + 2 EL, or 4 CL + 3 EL.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
No, not for a while. Just this season there were five English teams in the Champions League after Man United won the Europa League last season (having finished 6th in the league). Spain had five teams in the CL the two seasons prior to that after Seville won the Europa League twice in a row (they actually won it 3 times in a row!)

Both the EL and CL winners automatically qualify for the CL, but there can only be a maximum of 5 teams from the Premier League which can enter the CL, so if both the winners of these competitions were English and they both finished outside the top four, then this is when the fourth place would only provide Europa League qualification.

As an aside, there can only be a maximum of 7 English clubs in UEFA competitions in a single season. So either 5 CL + 2 EL, or 4 CL + 3 EL.

Ah, cool. Top four will be enough for CL. They'll still want to keep up that gap over Chelsea, though...

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Ah, cool. Top four will be enough for CL. They'll still want to keep up that gap over Chelsea, though...

There is still a big advantage of finishing third - teams automatically qualify for the group stages of the CL. If a team finishes fourth, they have to play a two-legged qualifier.

Not sure what the situation is with seeding either. When Leicester won the league, they were top seeds in their CL group, so had a relatively easy group to qualify from.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
That's where I see the victory and Big Performance coming OR at Burnley

I think the Burnley game could see us ‘play like Burnley’ on their travels, 11 men behind the ball, make ourselves bloody hard to break down and we’ll take a boring 0-0, and if we can snatch a goal even better !

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
I think that if he plays Sanchez is Spurs weakness in defence, as I have said in the past, and that we should start with Murray and if not proving to be successful change him at halftime for Locadia and or Ulloa.

Locardia and or Ulloa. Would be great if they allow us to play the second half with 12 players.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
This is a completely different level to that arsenal (who have lost every away game this calendar year) game.

Spurs are a class above. The same category as Chelsea and Liverpool. A point would be a miracle.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Locardia and or Ulloa. Would be great if they allow us to play the second half with 12 players.
I meant replace GM with either Locadia or Ulloa or even possibly take 2 players off and bring both on as twin strikers I didnt think that I would need to explain that as it was so obvious.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here