Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving early

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I know, I know it has been on this board so many times already. I also know the usual sentiment towards those who leave early.

Having waited for almost an hour to get on a park and ride at the last game I took my son to, then having got to my car doing the hour and a bit drive home, we got up and left a couple minutes early today. I didnt want to miss seeing Locadia score, but of course he did.

So what's the point of this post? When we got outside it struck me how many people were running... hundreds of people were running...either to the car park, the trains or the busses. I mean really running...in droves.

These people arn't running to make sure they miss last minute goals. They're running because getting out of the Amex is painful and no-one likes sitting in their car or waiting for a bus for an hour. Something must be able to improve the flow through. Dedicated bus lanes in and out of the stadium with more busses? Something.

As for the geniuses that text into BBC Sussex to grumble about people leaving early...most folks dont want to.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Swansea fans were a disgrace, loads left early

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I know, I know it has been on this board so many times already. I also know the usual sentiment towards those who leave early.

Having waited for almost an hour to get on a park and ride at the last game I took my son to, then having got to my car doing the hour and a bit drive home, we got up and left a couple minutes early today. I didnt want to miss seeing Locadia score, but of course he did.

So what's the point of this post? When we got outside it struck me how many people were running... hundreds of people were running...either to the car park, the trains or the busses. I mean really running...in droves.

These people arn't running to make sure they miss last minute goals. They're running because getting out of the Amex is painful and no-one likes sitting in their car or waiting for a bus for an hour. Something must be able to improve the flow through. Dedicated bus lanes in and out of the stadium with more busses? Something.

As for the geniuses that text into BBC Sussex to grumble about people leaving early...most folks dont want to.
Do you ever go to away games? If you do you would realise that this issue isn’t just one for the Albion! How would you propose to disperse 30,000 people without any queues? Ever tried to get out of Wembley for example? Once took me 1 hour to get out of Cardiff’s ground and I was parked in the car park behind the away stand!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Do you ever go to away games? If you do you would realise that this issue isn’t just one for the Albion! How would you propose to disperse 30,000 people without any queues? Ever tried to get out of Wembley for example? Once took me 1 hour to get out of Cardiff’s ground and I was parked in the car park behind the away stand!

I'm still on the fecking coach at Chelsea :moo:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This is because we now live in an instant world, were everything is expected to be immediate.

There are 30,000 people in that ground who all leave around the same time (Some go early, others hang around waiting for the queues to disappear, which they do quite quickly considering)

Trouble with society is that everyone seems in too much of a rush to get home or wherever to do very little (sit on a sofa in front of the TV, internet, social media, or alike) and in truth, getting home 30 mins or 1 hour later wouldn't necessarily make a lot of difference to a lot of peoples lives but this need that exists to get somewhere as quickly as possible means you often end up with people expecting the impossible (ie that people won't have to wait when 30,000 leave at once, etc) and in general it is why you get a lot more aggressive drivers, speeding, etc... and the person doing it usually gains very little from their actions as all they do is hit the back of the next set of slow traffic but it happens because they prefer the sense of being on the move and getting somewhere, even if ultimately they could have taken their time and been at their destination at a very similar time

Unrealistic demands for over a situation just because they don't want to feel like they are being held up (despite the large numbers leaving together) and an unwillingness to see the situation for what it is.... (always someone else's fault and they should be doing more, however unfeasable)

A sad reflection on society

#FirstWorldProblems

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
When you go to football on a Saturday afternoon, do you realise the game lasts 90 minutes, with 15 for half time?
I’m not having a pop at anyone, but , when I go to a game, it’s probably the only thing I’m going to do that day,if it takes about 6 hours ish to get to the game,watch it and then get home, that’s what I schedule in, in my head. If I leave, say, 5 minutes before the end, how many minutes of my life would I actually save, and what would I do with those few saved minutes?
And, are those saved minutes worth missing something like Locardias debut PL goal?
Everyone to their own, but The Voice or Ant and Dec aren’t that important to me.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

So what's the point of this post?...................you've answered your own question !!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I guess you don't go to away matches, the Amex is better than many many other grounds. There were 30k there today FFS

I think today was the first time I was queuing on the bridge after a Saturday 3pm gamedue to the massive amount of people who left before full time, but still got back to Lewes by 5.20 and back home in Bexhill just after 6

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
When you go to football on a Saturday afternoon, do you realise the game lasts 90 minutes, with 15 for half time?
I’m not having a pop at anyone, but , when I go to a game, it’s probably the only thing I’m going to do that day,if it takes about 6 hours ish to get to the game,watch it and then get home, that’s what I schedule in, in my head. If I leave, say, 5 minutes before the end, how many minutes of my life would I actually save, and what would I do with those few saved minutes?
And, are those saved minutes worth missing something like Locardias debut PL goal?
Everyone to their own, but The Voice or Ant and Dec aren’t that important to me.

Especially as we live in an age of catch up tv, why the rush?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This is because we now live in an instant world, were everything is expected to be immediate.

There are 30,000 people in that ground who all leave around the same time (Some go early, others hang around waiting for the queues to disappear, which they do quite quickly considering)

Trouble with society is that everyone seems in too much of a rush to get home or wherever to do very little (sit on a sofa in front of the TV, internet, social media, or alike) and in truth, getting home 30 mins or 1 hour later wouldn't necessarily make a lot of difference to a lot of peoples lives but this need that exists to get somewhere as quickly as possible means you often end up with people expecting the impossible (ie that people won't have to wait when 30,000 leave at once, etc) and in general it is why you get a lot more aggressive drivers, speeding, etc... and the person doing it usually gains very little from their actions as all they do is hit the back of the next set of slow traffic but it happens because they prefer the sense of being on the move and getting somewhere, even if ultimately they could have taken their time and been at their destination at a very similar time

Unrealistic demands for over a situation just because they don't want to feel like they are being held up (despite the large numbers leaving together) and an unwillingness to see the situation for what it is.... (always someone else's fault and they should be doing more, however unfeasable)

A sad reflection on society

#FirstWorldProblems
Great post and past the dutchie to the left hand side

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
This is my take on it too. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to leave early but it's expensive and for me it's an escape from everything else. I have been known to sulk off early when we are getting hammered but occasions like today should be relished. I just don't understand it.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
As I say every home game 'Would these people leave the cinema/gig ten minutes before the end' ? Especially when they block my view to see what's happening on the pitch on their way out !!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
i wish the earlies would leave even earlier. that way when we come out just after the final whistle they'd all have clearer the platforms and we could just meander onto the first available train.
why are they so selfish?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Using the Coventry game as an example, it really does make a huge difference leaving slightly early and running.

I left on 90 minutes and ran from the NS to the Mill Road park n ride buses.

My son left on final whistle, doing an identical trip, and got home 50 minutes later. Standing in huge park n ride queues waiting for the return of the buses.

Missing added time, to get home almost an hour earlier, is worth it IMO.

I don’t hold this against the club. Shifting 30,000 people from a small outskirts site, so quickly, is very well done.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here