Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Old Grey Whistle Test to return - BBC4 tonight

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just one more thought, would the studio discussions have been better with a co-presenter such as Anne Nightingale rather than leaving it all to Whispering Bob, as we seemed to end up in Nashville a lot of the time.

The highlight of the discussions for me, was about the animation for One of these Days from Pink Floyd, but why didn't we get see the full short film with the tracking playing over, rather than just a snippet (with no sound) in the background

Also how many concert shows do they have in achieves which never see the light of day, I would have thought there would be a series right there in rerunning all the ones they have.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
As NSCr's Muso I'm awaiting Buzzer to give the definitive opinion but I know what I think about last nights shambles...

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Steve Hillage stands out for me as I'd never heard of him before and ended up seeing him in concert at the Dome a few weeks later. Another stand out memory was a Whistle Test special which wasn't recorded in the studio but was a whole programme dedicated to a showing of a concert of Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Review recorded in Colorado. It was shown on 28th September 1976 and kicked off that year's OGWT series.

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/33d4f1bbe3e84eb191986082927b8570

Just found the BBC2 tv listing for that day. Started with Open University ( probably presented by a Bob Harris lookalike as it often was in those days with OGWT starting at 23.10
http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbctwo/england/1976-09-28
I remember seeing Steve Hillage when he was in Gong playing in the old Virgin store where Boots is now opposite the Clock Tower! Was anyone else there?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
For all those complaining about the very short clips in the montage sequences, have a short break at midnight and come back at 00.40 for OGWT 70s Gold and 90 minutes for full clips.

I see some of you are finding the show dull. Is this down to the fact that most of the live music has been acoustic as opposed to full bands. Personally I am enjoying the show, as certainly in its earlier years OGWT did showcase many acoustic and piano centric singers, so just continuing the tradition.

If the OGWT is to return as a series, then the mix between old and new has to full present in the studio, so who to put together.

As an opening show I would go with

Wishbone Ash and Graham Parker to represent the past, and The Strypes and Stone Foundation for the new(ish).

But what would others like to see to overcome the dullness that some seem to believe is present

Wishbone Ash... Leaf and Stream would be a dream opening to any evening of music. Interesting reading all the comments herein... I always found the majority of the OGWT stuff i’ve seen somewhat myopic... like Mojo magazine bought to life, trying too hard to be eclectic whilst giving the critically aclaimed a platform to massage their swollen egos.

I’m also suspicious as to why Deep Purple/Rainbow we’re NEVER featured... two of the best live bands in the history of rock obviously deemed too ballsy (good) to make an appearance (to my knowledge.) Snobbery I suspect, and Blackmore’s track record of taking the piss... well I shan’t be watching.

Back to the wonderful Beat Club archives for me.

Vorsprung durch Technik

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Three hours searching OGWT on Youtube is far more enjoyable. Pesky kids

Somewhere in the house I still have analog Youtube (half a dozen VHS tapes of music recorded off TV programmes in the late 80s) Quite a lot of Whistle Test as well as videos and performances from TOTP, The Tube,The Chart Show, as well as random things like The Redskins and The Damned on Number 73 and The Jesus & Mary Chain miming to a bemused load of ITV pop fans on (I think) Razzmatazz.

A couple of my favourite memories from the tapes are on YouTube. I've just rewatched them and got far more entertainment than I did from last night's hours. The fact that Bob Harris was involved should have warned us all off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5sHCsNDLX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdEdcfme_rA

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
How about Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits? Did that feature? I clearly remember being blown away by this unknown (to me) band when it aired on OGWT. One of my favourite memories of the show. It was a place where you often heard bands you didn’t know.

John Otway and Wild Willie Barret doing “Really Free” was another standout highlight for me.

I also have fond memories of the Jackson Browne set which Whispering Bob introduced as something he’d been looking forward to the most in that year. I wonder if [MENTION=1510]Binney on acid[/MENTION], NSC’s other big Jackson Browne fan saw that set?
I think you'll find a couple of JB 'Old grey whistle test' sessions on you tube, circa 1976 & 78. I've probably got them on DVD. You are welcome to borrow them, if I can find them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here