Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How many World Champions would rock up at a race like the TDU for just appearance duties and to wave at the crowd and sign autographs?

Yet this one, not content with just working for McCarthy, takes a cracking stage win whilst at it!

Absolutely love Sagan! Still the biggest breath of fresh air to hit cycling. He simply can't contain his boyish love of just racing his bike :bowdown:

Marvellous scenes :clap:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh oh this reminds me:-

My pedals are all but welded into the crank arms.

Any 'blue sky thinking' ways of releasing them, brute force, a big hammer and ignorance isn't working.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Any 'blue sky thinking' ways of releasing them, brute force, a big hammer and ignorance isn't working.

You won't believe that I have an occasional annoying creak on the new Winter bike already :(. Sounds like bottom bracket, but first I thought it take off the pedals and re grease in case it was that. Unfortunately, I can't seem to release one of them either, so when you find an answer, let me know.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I had the same issue recently, got very hot and sweaty trying to get the non drive side pedal off for about one hour with no luck. In the end I sprayed a copious amount of GT 85 around the general area, mainly from the inside of the crank arm onto the back of the pedal axle and left it half an hour or so. Then I put the bike on the turbo, got a long ~20 cm allen key and stood on the allen key in a way that the wheel didn't move, then slowly 'jumped' up and down. Took about five minutes of that and then bingo, it was free.

I used quite a bit of copper slip on the replacement pedal threads!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've just this minute discovered that the 'Freesports' channel is showing live coverage of TDU. So I've set it to record the battle on Old Wilunga Hill tonight :clap:

The channel is available on Freesat and Freeview too I think.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I've just this minute discovered that the 'Freesports' channel is showing live coverage of TDU. So I've set it to record the battle on Old Wilunga Hill tonight :clap:

The channel is available on Freesat and Freeview too I think.

Yeah, I spotted this. It would be much better if they raced at GMT friendly viewing times though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey Shoreham geeks.

Some of you go up and straight back down a climb near the flyover.
Can you please direct me, and talk me through it.

Ta muchly.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Hey Shoreham geeks.

Some of you go up and straight back down a climb near the flyover.
Can you please direct me, and talk me through it.

Ta muchly.

That's Truleigh Hill. You approach it from by turning off Upper Shoreham Road onto Erringham Road. It's Mill Hill at the bottom and becomes Truleigh Hill.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I know hardly anyone else is interested, but sod it, I'm going to mention it anyway.

Really nice to see Daryl Impey win the TDU. Hard working dom that is clearly well liked by team mates and the peloton alike. Probably wearing Yellow in the TdF a few seasons back was bigger for him, but beating Porte here to be the first non-Aussie to win this race for a good while is a really nice start to his season. The way he paced himself on Old Willunga Hill was pretty clever racing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's Truleigh Hill. You approach it from by turning off Upper Shoreham Road onto Erringham Road. It's Mill Hill at the bottom and becomes Truleigh Hill.

Thanks, I've got it now.
Although it's probably a bit of a moot point as I was going to loop it into a Coombes ride with Jnr on Inset Day Wednesday.
But as the weather is forecast as being worse than today, it'll have to go on hold.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003

I had this a few weeks back. Firstly one the pedals has a left hand thread - I can never remember which one. Then when you've worked out which way to try to turn it, leverage is your friend. My spanner wasn't long enough, so I got my roof bar (a part of my car's roofrack) out of the garage and used it as an extension pole for the spanner.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'll be climbing Kidds Hill on Saturday, God willing.

Any tips anyone?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Any tips anyone?

Make sure you know it's The Wall at the start, not doing so will result in you riding the next 20 minutes wondering when you'll be riding The Wall.

#NotAClimb.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Make sure you know it's The Wall at the start, not doing so will result in you riding the next 20 minutes wondering when you'll be riding The Wall.

#NotAClimb.

Is this you in lulling mode SB ?

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003

#NotAClimb.

Yes, make sure you look up the road at the right point to ensure you see the way ahead looking like a low garden wall covered in tarmac!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this you in lulling mode SB ?

Nope, just explaining what happened to me first time up it.

It genuinely doesn't live up to it's reputation, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised Almost Kent cyclists are a bit soft.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Any tips anyone?

Starts steep, then less steep, then steep, then steeper, then starts to flatten before the end.

The bit after the middle before the end flat stretch is steepest, best not to go off too hard and give it some on that section for a couple of minutes.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nope, just explaining what happened to me first time up it.

It genuinely doesn't live up to it's reputation, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised Almost Kent cyclists are a bit soft.

Oh yes, I'd forgotten how Almost Hampshire is just like The Pyrenees :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here