Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How yer feeling?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Why would he do that? How rare is it for someone born in Manchester to support Brighton, it's normally the other way around.

I was born in Brighton and support Brighton. Why would I support Manchester in their various forms?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I honestly feel that your birthright determines the team you support. I know there are exceptions through parents etc but that's how I feel.

Apologies to [MENTION=494]Kosh[/MENTION] if I'm being harsh.
What drivel. If that was the case i would be supporting either Millwall or Chelsea
Born in London but lived in sussex virtually for 39 years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was born in Brighton and support Brighton. Why would I support Manchester in their various forms?

There is a lad I met nearly 20 years ago, born and bred (and living) in the North West, who got sucked into following us as our rogering by our owners became national news. He started attending games, and was hooked. He was about 15 at the time. And he became, and still is (as far as I am aware) a proper BHA supporter. I remember giving him a lift home after an away game way back when we were in the fourth tier. Many of us who used (and still us) the old Mailing List met him and will know to whom I refer.

The right to support BHA is not restricted only to those, like me, who were born in Buckingham Road :shrug:

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Yesterday was a great day. Fans excellent, team spirit great as per last season, squad unfortunately a little limited.
Looking back to yesterday now I still think we did ok. 5 new faces in there. Midfield was over worked march and Murphy tasked with tracking the wing backs and with their CBs stepping into midfield as well it made it very differcult to get any real possession of any note.
On the plus sides we were very organised and defended well. Dunk and Duffy (bar that dreadful backpass) were solid, Bruno and Suttner defended well. Thought March was excellent and Murphy when he came on as well. Midfield 2/3 were trying to stem the tide best they could but we're always out numbered and in KDB and DS they have 2 outstanding ball players. Hemed never really had a chance and was doing his best to help out and was around his own box on a few occasions. That meant no out ball, which didn't really change all game.
AK looked a great outlet when he came on and offered us what we know he can. I don't think there will be any better teams in possession that come here this year. Pace is required to stretch teams a bit more and we have to be much more accurate when we are in possession of the ball.. March the Columbian and AK will cause other teams problems. Don't know if it will happen but would be interesting to see Gross and Propper AK at 10 again with march and columbian out wide.
All in all it was a defeat to the title favourites, when we are still waiting to piece out best side together. It could of been worse and we could of lost 3-0 to relegation candidates.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
There is a lad I met nearly 20 years ago, born and bred (and living) in the North West, who got sucked into following us as our rogering by our owners became national news. He started attending games, and was hooked. He was about 15 at the time. And he became, and still is (as far as I am aware) a proper BHA supporter. I remember giving him a lift home after an away game way back when we were in the fourth tier. Many of us who used (and still us) the old Mailing List met him and will know to whom I refer.

The right to support BHA is not restricted only to those, like me, who were born in Buckingham Road :shrug:

It's a good story and uplifting. Getting a connection takes many forms but I still believe birth place is the dominant factor.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
To be honest I'd have probably taken 0-2 for our first game given the opposition ...

But ...

The other teams I see as our 'relegation rivals', had good results. Watford got a draw against another top six club, and Burnley went and won at Chelsea. Even Huddersfield (who I'd hoped would claim won of the bottom three spots by Christmas) won 3-0 away from home. Admittedly that was only against Palace, but still, we'd seen that as an excellent result.

Also I don't think City played THAT well - although that could be because we didn't really let them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Getting back on topic.... I cast my mind back to our first game in the Championship, the Burnley game. Yes, we won that (the only game we won from a losing position all season, possibly ever in the CL under Gus). But we were brittle, and remained brittle for months. We almost never attempted a pass of more than 30 yards, and the ball never left the floor. For months I felt it would all fall apart, and the 'new fans' would start mocking and flouncing......but it didn't happen; slowly we learned and our first season in the division was respectable......

Back to now . . . . the first game in the PL.... yes, some nerves, and this time utterly outclassed by one of the top ten sides in the world (and one of the top five richest). However, we are now where we are after many years of steady growth and stability. It feels right that we have an opportunity to prove ourselves. Yes, we will get the odd spanking, but we won't be destroyed by it (albeit some on here will doubtless subject us to a torrent of diarrhoea after every defeat...). And we will not set up every game like we have today. New players will come in, new approaches will be developed.

No, I feel good. We deserve to be in the PL. Compare our set up, players, manager, ownership, stadium, support base, ethos, vision, even finances to at least half of the PL and we are better. Not just equal but better. All we need now is the time to show it on the pitch. I have absolutely no difficulty in saying that I will keep the faith.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Feel okay as long as we don't panic and keep behind the team and it will be interesting how much noise our fans will make at Leicester city .
Keep the faith I am now looking forward to the cup game a chance to see how strong our squad has become.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Suspect Guardiola will be more disappointed than CH. City were pretty sloppy themselves at times and really didn't get out of second gear most of the match.

Thought we defended pretty well overall and kept pushing them back.

Problem was we were poor in midfield and kept giving the ball straight back to them.

Hard to judge Hemed and Gross given their lack of service today but I just don't see Hemed as effective outside the box as he lacks pace and sufficient control to take it forward from distance or hold up.

Our most effective moments were on the counter hitting it long to the forwards. Nearly worked with AK! We're going to need some pacy forwards to get a result with this tactic though (sure I read a thread or ten about this already!).

Don't think I'll panic just yet......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably the best summary of the game. I hope TB and the recruitment team immediately got on the phone to enquire about pacy forwards unless we intend to use Esquirdo upfront

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
You simply cannot draw any conclusions yet and would be wrong to do so against Man City. All we know is the level now for the top teams in the league. After the next 3 games it will be more telling.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The team was nervy but once we settled down we were holding our own, even without creating anything. The team needs time to gel. More positives than negatives from the first game for me.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Born as I was in Manchester in the heartland of City fans, with a massive City fan for a Grandad - 96 and still with us! I'm feeling okay to be honest. I was seriously expecting a genuine pasting, and although statistically we were a little bit out of our depth, we were not disgraced.

We had a plan to frustrate and we did, we lost our step twice and were duly punished. Welcome to the show my friends.

Chris will soon decide if Stephens, for example, is good enough, and if not make the changes to our shape/team to compensate.

Lastly, and most pertinently, I think a draw or indeed a win (HA!) today may have been a false dawn. Swiftly followed by two sobering defeats. As it happens; I rather think we may see one or two points picked up against teams we need be competing with.

As Clough once said, about the Albion I believe: "We don't deserve to live with..." City... Just yet.

Onward.

It was as expected, men v boys. We got shown a new one. Still, rather lose to Man City at home than Udders. Our season is against none top six. Fantastic side that Man City. Got to see my NSC mate and got very drunk. A 5/10 day.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I honestly feel that your birthright determines the team you support. I know there are exceptions through parents etc but that's how I feel.

Apologies to [MENTION=494]Kosh[/MENTION] if I'm being harsh.

Strictly speaking I was born in Shoreham. Should I be supporting them?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Feeling fine! Spirited performance against a team widely tipped to win the league.

Contrast that against a woeful performance against a team widely tipped for relegation.

Mind the gap and all that.

Yep, that. We'll get better. If losing 2-0 to the likely eventual champions, with 4 players playing their first game in the PL (one of whom has been with us less than a week), and holding them for 70 mins is as bad as we get, we'll be alright.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Disappointed. I'm always like this after we lose, regardless of opponent. I'll get over it though and console myself with the thought of what City will do to some of our bottom 14 relegation rivals.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Feeling abit gutted after seeing MOTD and Sky Sports repeatedly showing Huddersfield celebrating and banging on about their first win in the Premier League blah blah blah.

But we played IMO the best team in the Premier League and kept them at bay for what, 60 odd mins? And without our goalscorer and best player (also with new signings not yet really settled in) I thought City looked frustrated, even though they were battering us we stayed disciplined which is a plus. Unfortunately any mistakes against the Top 3-6 teams and you generally pay for it now...... and we did.

Its tough because against these top top sides (as paul merson would say) you get no time on the ball and I guess our players are used to that extra second and not having 3 players on them the second they get a touch, which I think made us panic give away the ball quite often.

One thing though and I dont want to bash him as I really rate Matty Ryan as a keeper and he has made some great saves over the two games Ive seen from him, plus he seems very confident which is great AND although he wasnt at fault for Dunks own goal, the ball did slip through his hands/arms again which is abit of a worry. I feel like he could make some world class saves this season, but possibly let a few howlers in, which could cost us points.

On the plus side we played probably the best team in the Premier League and one that should be competing for the Champions League and didnt get hammered or really embarrassed. And we wont be playing them teams every week!

But it was a baptism of fire! haha :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here